Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Impressions Thread
Jul 25, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #841 of 1,113
Hi guys,

Wondering if you have any recommendations for headphones at a similar price range to the ES10? I lost mine recently and loved the ES10 but at the same time, wouldn't mind trying out another brand.

Thanks in advance,

James

Jul 29, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #842 of 1,113
Quote: leungie
Hi guys,  
Wondering if you have any recommendations for headphones at a similar price range to the ES10? I lost mine recently and loved the ES10 but at the same time, wouldn't mind trying out another brand.

Thanks in advance,

James

B&W P7 maybe? I've been itching to try it out my self. It kind of falls in the same category as the es10 and it's suppose to be more fun sounding rather than neutral (just like the es10's :).

Aug 30, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #845 of 1,113
Well, guess what, folks?

After a few days of trying the newest tuning of my ES10, I can say that it is finally... finished.

This is the exact sound signature I have always wanted out of the ES10.

I will soon do a formal comparison to the stock ES10, and then I'll post some instructions on how to achieve the same with your ES10 for those who are interested.

A brief comparison with the stock ES10 shows: improved soundstage, improved clarity, improved vocal presence, improved bass response (no longer bloated, more impact, more textured, more extension). Basically it's just overall better.
basshead.gif

So please let me know if you are interested in knowing how to achieve this. I understand if there is not enough interest, though, since the ES10 is probably one of the most underrated headphones ever. People usually just listen to it and either go "I like it" or "I hate it" without considering the potential of the drivers.

Aug 31, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #847 of 1,113
I too am quite interested.  The ES10 is my primary headphone, and each small improvement I have made on it myself (recabling, ES11 pads) has helped.  Please be as explicit about your mods as possible,with pictures if needed.  I look forward to hearing what you did.

Aug 31, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #848 of 1,113
Looking forward to your mods too.

Trying to sell my older ES10 but it doesn't seem to be getting much love here locally.

I'm now considering modding it.

Aug 31, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #850 of 1,113
  Well, guess what, folks?

After a few days of trying the newest tuning of my ES10, I can say that it is finally... finished.

This is the exact sound signature I have always wanted out of the ES10.

I will soon do a formal comparison to the stock ES10, and then I'll post some instructions on how to achieve the same with your ES10 for those who are interested.

A brief comparison with the stock ES10 shows: improved soundstage, improved clarity, improved vocal presence, improved bass response (no longer bloated, more impact, more textured, more extension). Basically it's just overall better.
basshead.gif

So please let me know if you are interested in knowing how to achieve this. I understand if there is not enough interest, though, since the ES10 is probably one of the most underrated headphones ever. People usually just listen to it and either go "I like it" or "I hate it" without considering the potential of the drivers.

I can testify how good Bill's modded ES10's sound. 

Heard it on 2 separate occasions, and the amount of improvement that I've heard each time is simply amazing. 

Currently not looking into portable headphones, but his ES10's do sound really good that I'm quite tempted...

Aug 31, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #851 of 1,113
Well, what do I know? Interest is amazingly higher than I anticipated. I figured if at least one other person was interested, I would publish the results.

Looks like I'll have a busy week ahead, so I'll make sure to document this as well as humanly possible.

I can testify how good Bill's modded ES10's sound. 

Heard it on 2 separate occasions, and the amount of improvement that I've heard each time is simply amazing. 

Currently not looking into portable headphones, but his ES10's do sound really good that I'm quite tempted...

Thanks, Jeff!

And you still haven't heard the current version yet, which... I regard as being better than anything I have ever done thus far.

Having the HE-560 close by as a reference helped tremendously as I quite like its relatively neutral sound (albeit a wee bit bright).

Sep 15, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #853 of 1,113
Well, so... I need a guinea pig, guys.

If any of you kind souls would be willing to let me borrow his completely stock ATH-ES10 to do the documentation, I'd be very grateful. Plus you'll get yours modified and hand-tuned by me for free. You'll just have to worry about shipping fees and purchasing a pair of ESW9 ear pads. 
beerchug.gif

The mod is completely reversible, and there is a very low chance of me messing up your headphone since I'm not poking holes or anything like that. I'm just replacing the dampening materials in the back.

I sincerely doubt you would want to revert back to stock after you hear the modded version, though. It is very very very very good. Even though I'm the one who tuned them, I'm still surprised. The ES10 drivers are capable of so much more than we give them credits for.

Sep 15, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #854 of 1,113
Please count me in -- I'd be happy to have you mod my 'phones.  Mine has ES-11 pads and a Whiplash Audio TWag recabling.   For documentation, I can supply the original pads, but no longer have the original cable, I believe.

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back