Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Impressions Thread
Jul 25, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #558 of 1,113
Quote:
First image from Martin. One word: WOW!

That is possibly the most beautiful portable headphone I have ever seen! Can't wait to hear what the wood cups would do to the sound!

Oh wow. I am envious.

Jul 26, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #561 of 1,113
Quote:
First image from Martin. One word: WOW!

That is possibly the most beautiful portable headphone I have ever seen! Can't wait to hear what the wood cups would do to the sound!

I think I detected saliva on my keyboard.

The Audio Technica CEO needs to see that.  What's his email.

Jul 27, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #564 of 1,113
Finally. Just got it a short moment ago.

Brief impression: faaaarrrr more defined bass. Sounds a lot more like bookshelf speakers. Much sweeter midrange and treble as well, even though the whole presentation remains largely the same. It's like adding magic.

At this point, I can hardly find anything to nitpick about this.

Oh, and it looks much better in person. I'll take some photos.

Edit: photos

Again, photos don't quite capture the beauty of the headphone. You really gotta see it in person.

Jul 27, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #565 of 1,113
Do you have a stock pair of ES10s on hand for direct comparison? :0

Jul 28, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #567 of 1,113
Bill-P said:
.First image from Martin. One word: WOW!

Oooo myyyeeeee Gggaawwdd!!!
From the looks there seems to be more space in the cups(for modding) as well!lol
Wow! That baby put any portable to shame!
That is like "immortalizing" an es10 for all time! Needs to be on display at Audio Technica's main headquarters!

Jul 28, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #568 of 1,113
God that is beautiful..

Just got my pair, still waiting on the ESW11 pads though (it becomes unbearable after a while with the stock pads). I am impressed, but prefer the ESW9 at this stage.

Also, before I upgrade to the wood cups (!), how have people been sanding down the shiny surface of the ES10s? What specific method/technique?

The stock cable is okay, but I may upgrade it in the future.

Still need more time with these but they same like a very underrated model..

Jul 28, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #569 of 1,113
Oooo myyyeeeee Gggaawwdd!!!
From the looks there seems to be more space in the cups(for modding) as well!lol
Wow! That baby put any portable to shame!
That is like "immortalizing" an es10 for all time! Needs to be on display at Audio Technica's main headquarters!

Hahaha, yeah. There's definitely more room for modding. Though I probably would never open these up again at this rate.

I don't have a stock pair for direct comparison, but what I'm hearing is just awesome for a pair of portable. Soundstage is the only thing that's lacking.

Jul 29, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #570 of 1,113
Hi there, ES10 lover fellows! :wink:

Haven't been around for a while, and just wanted to share a few thoughts on our beloved ES10.

1) Storage/Transportation:

After almost 6 months of unsuccessful attemps to source AHH-HPP5 to carry around ES10, RSA Predator USB DAC/Amp, cables etc., I started to look at third-party alternatives. And I have recently got what I think is as close to perfect as I could have found: Pioneer HDJ-HC01. Here are some pics for your reference. 

The case itself is very good quality. Hard shell gives nice protection, soft inner padding is giving due care to components inside.

You can see that it's a near-perfect fit for ES10, even with cups extended, which I like a lot, as I don't have to contract them all the way every time for storage. RSA Predator is sitting atop Xperia Sola (used as a portable source). I have a small separate pouch for the Sola/Predator combo, not shown here. It fits right inside the headband, so items are not all over the place when on the go.

There's a convenient removable zipper pouch (velcro attached) holds smaller accessories (could be a tad bigger to my taste). 

So if you're looking for a nice carry case for ES10 - put this one on the list :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back