Audio-Technica ATH AD700 vs Sennheiser PC360 Headset
Sep 3, 2011 at 10:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

dontknow

New Head-Fier
I'm going to be buying a Mixamp 5.8 to go with a new set of headphones to be used for all my gaming platforms (Xbox 360/PS3/PC)

Is there much of a difference in terms of sound quality between the AD700 and the Sennheiser PC360? Would the average person be able to tell the difference? I'm not really an audiophile and I'm currently using the inbuilt speakers from my TV and onboard sound/plantronic speakers for the PC. This will be used for gaming/movies/music.

The only thing attracting me towards the PC360, is the fact that it comes with a mic. I know you can mod the AD700, but that doesn't sound too appealing. But the main concern is obviously the sound quality.

I'm basically a newb to all of this, so go easy on me please!

Sep 3, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #2 of 25
Any quality headphone will give you what you want.

For gaming, go for more comfort then anything. So then get what you enjoy more.

PC360 if you decide if you want a microphone

Sep 3, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #3 of 25
Thanks for the response. But are you saying there wouldn't be much difference between either of the two choices? There isn't one that is clearly better? Obviously the sound quality would be a greater priority over comfort assuming the prices were equal.

Sep 3, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #4 of 25

Quote:
Thanks for the response. But are you saying there wouldn't be much difference between either of the two choices? There isn't one that is clearly better? Obviously the sound quality would be a greater priority over comfort assuming the prices were equal.

Any $50 headphone will give you more then what you need. There is no difference in getting a more expensive headphone in order to hear where the game makes noises. Games don't have headphone wrappers, high quality sound or 3D directional sound.

Just get something comfortable. I use my MDR-V6 because of the comfort and isolation.

Pick up a clip on mic and you're good.

Sep 3, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #6 of 25
I really have no idea how the PC360 would sound but the AD700 is very comfortable (unless you have a small head) and has great overall sound quality for music. Sound quality won't matter as much for games or movies unless they contain a lot of music in them though having a large soundstage like the AD700 is nice to have. 

Sep 3, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #7 of 25

Quote:
I really have no idea how the PC360 would sound but the AD700 is very comfortable (unless you have a small head) and has great overall sound quality for music. Sound quality won't matter as much for games or movies unless they contain a lot of music in them though having a large soundstage like the AD700 is nice to have. 

So generally people buy such ridiculously expensive so headphones with the Mixamp combo merely to listen to music?

Sep 3, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #8 of 25
Hi
I was in the same boat as you, apart from was looking for PC mainly. A upgrade to my senn 161 but with better 5.1 sound stage thingy. just watch your self on here, you'll start spending!  well i did. only thing i regret is getting the mix-amp. for console like xbox its great, PC i find the x-fi cmss-3d better but this is a elite pro so can't say if higher end Dolby Headphone cards would do the same.As for movies on TVs instead of 5.1 speaker setup.(late night watching so not to piss off next door, u know) it did give the surround sound feel with out having to adjust vol between vocal & effects. the down side though is lip sync was way out, might be the delay of been wireless.

i went for the PC360 as got second hand for £80, if went for new would of looked at the PC330. After that looking on here i ended up with PC360 for gaming/ chilled rock  and some grado 225i for rocking out

Sep 3, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #9 of 25

Quote:
Games don't have headphone wrappers, high quality sound or 3D directional sound.

Any PC game worth its salt has a proper 3D directional sound field, though it's becoming less common as audio APIs/renders like XAudio2 and FMOD reduce that to a mere 7.1 sound field. If it uses DirectSound3D or OpenAL, it most certainly does have that sound field because every sound has X/Y/Z coordinates in 3D space to begin with, and it's the sound device driver's job to decide how to play back those sounds. That's why the games themselves don't need headphone wrappers-that's a job for the sound card's DSP. (Unfortunately, software-based XAudio2 and FMOD and such provide absolutely no provision for binaural surround for us headphone users, so we're forced to work with emulated 7.1 since it's pre-mixed by the time it hits the sound driver.)

This is actually why I find CMSS-3D Headphone so effective in DS3D or OAL games: it doesn't bother with emulating speakers (as other techs like Dolby Headphone would), it just applies the binaural filter to each and every sound in the virtual 3D space. It's still effective in games that pre-mix everything to 7.1, but less so because I usually end up with no sense of height, as a typical 7.1 sound system is going to have all of those speakers at the same height. That's right, we're heading back to 2D sound. What a shame.

I'm not going to dispute the sound quality of games in general, though. It certainly isn't hi-fi.

Sep 3, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #10 of 25

Quote:

Any PC game worth its salt has a proper 3D directional sound field, though it's becoming less common as audio APIs/renders like XAudio2 and FMOD reduce that to a mere 7.1 sound field. If it uses DirectSound3D or OpenAL, it most certainly does have that sound field because every sound has X/Y/Z coordinates in 3D space to begin with, and it's the sound device driver's job to decide how to play back those sounds. That's why the games themselves don't need headphone wrappers-that's a job for the sound card's DSP. (Unfortunately, software-based XAudio2 and FMOD and such provide absolutely no provision for binaural surround for us headphone users, so we're forced to work with emulated 7.1 since it's pre-mixed by the time it hits the sound driver.)

This is actually why I find CMSS-3D Headphone so effective in DS3D or OAL games: it doesn't bother with emulating speakers (as other techs like Dolby Headphone would), it just applies the binaural filter to each and every sound in the virtual 3D space. It's still effective in games that pre-mix everything to 7.1, but less so because I usually end up with no sense of height, as a typical 7.1 sound system is going to have all of those speakers at the same height. That's right, we're heading back to 2D sound. What a shame.

I'm not going to dispute the sound quality of games in general, though. It certainly isn't hi-fi.

You're trying to argue a point that you don't have any idea about.

1. Stereo means 2 directions. There can be two directions of sound and the cross-way between them.

2. 7.1 means the amount of coverage that the multiple speakers from a multiple directional speaker system uses. There is no 7.1 surround sound headphone because there isn't a 7.1 plug in to my receiver.

3. A Headphone wrapper is what is used to make a headphone sound as close as to speakers would.

The reasons above are why Headphones are #2 in audio behind Speakers. Speakers can have multiple direction with different changes and great audio. A headphone usually only has 2 drivers that broadcast sound. The more expensive headphones and setup come close to creating the speaker configuration, but nothing close.

Sep 4, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #11 of 25

Quote:
Any $50 headphone will give you more then what you need. There is no difference in getting a more expensive headphone in order to hear where the game makes noises. Games don't have headphone wrappers, high quality sound or 3D directional sound.

Just get something comfortable. I use my MDR-V6 because of the comfort and isolation.

Pick up a clip on mic and you're good.

This gets my vote as the most moronic comment I've heard this year.
Are you still playing Peggle and Super Mario Brothers? You are aware that they do have First Person Shooters and competitive gaming now right? No, not just Doom.

I guess there is no point to this thread also:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envy-aka-shin-cz-s-guide-to-headphone-gaming-particularly-with-dolby-headphone

...and everyone should go get a Porta Pro and a clip on mic...

I'm going to go throw up now..

Sep 4, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #12 of 25

Quote:

...and everyone should go get a Porta Pro and a clip on mic...

I'm going to go throw up now..

I threw up the most off edge comparison on sound only.

Really, my Grado do just fine also

Sep 4, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #13 of 25
**** I guess I should have kept that turtle beach headset I bought instead of replacing it with the AD700 for my shooters.  And here I thought Battlefield didn't give me pinpoint accurate 3d directional cues while in dolby headphone mode.  

Sep 4, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #14 of 25

Quote:
You're trying to argue a point that you don't have any idea about.

1. Stereo means 2 directions. There can be two directions of sound and the cross-way between them.

2. 7.1 means the amount of coverage that the multiple speakers from a multiple directional speaker system uses. There is no 7.1 surround sound headphone because there isn't a 7.1 plug in to my receiver.

3. A Headphone wrapper is what is used to make a headphone sound as close as to speakers would.

The reasons above are why Headphones are #2 in audio behind Speakers. Speakers can have multiple direction with different changes and great audio. A headphone usually only has 2 drivers that broadcast sound. The more expensive headphones and setup come close to creating the speaker configuration, but nothing close.

I said that games with a proper sound engine and renderer have a 3D sound space already. It's up to the sound device to decide how to present that 3D sound space, be it stereo, binaural (which is what I'm aiming for as a headphone-only user), or multiple speakers, unless it's already mixed in software and out of the sound device's control (which isn't how it's supposed to be done, but is how XAudio2 does it, and probably FMOD too).

You're right in that there is no proper "7.1" headphone worth talking about, but there doesn't need to be. Two good drivers are all that is needed for binaural (NOT stereo) sound. Think about it: we only have two ears, yet we can perceive sounds coming from any direction in reality. This is exactly what binaural sound aims to replicate.

If you ask me, binaural sound done right will outdo 7.1 speakers in pure imaging (perceived sound quality is another matter entirely) if the HRTF used matches the listener's HRTF perfectly. You'd need more speakers surrounding the user not just on the same level, but above and below as well, and then the room needs to have the suitable acoustic treatment, and most of all, the game needs to support outputting to such a speaker format to begin with (if XAudio2 et al.), or the sound device needs to support it (DirectSound3D or OpenAL).

The problem is that the HRTF used often doesn't match the listener's HRTF perfectly, so the surround speakers in an ideal configuration tend to have better imaging for anyone sitting in the sweet spot. But the problem there is that most people don't have a proper, acoustically-treated room with perfectly placed speakers, either. Headphones take the room out of the equation.

I don't care about making my headphones sound like a speaker setup; that's just an unnecessary abstraction to reproduce game sound to me. Nor should it only pan sounds left and right ala pure stereo, because having no sense of front and rear spatial imaging mean less situational awareness, less immersion, and more chances of getting killed because you looked in the wrong direction. To quote another Head-Fi user whose name I forgot, "With speakers, they're here. With headphones, you're there." I'm aiming for binaural sound that puts me in the middle of the action with nothing in between my ears and the game environment itself, most certainly not a virtual speaker setup conforming to movie formats.

Sep 5, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #15 of 25
I guess opinions are divided on here as to whether gaming offers high quality sound and is a good utiliser for high end headphones....

Think i'm leaning towards to Sennheiser PC360, even though the AD700 seems to be very highly regarded on here.. but my decision seems to be change day to day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back