Audio-Technica ATH AD700 vs Sennheiser PC360 Headset
Sep 5, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #16 of 25

Quote:
I guess opinions are divided on here as to whether gaming offers high quality sound and is a good utiliser for high end headphones....

Think i'm leaning towards to Sennheiser PC360, even though the AD700 seems to be very highly regarded on here.. but my decision seems to be change day to day!

Heya,

Get the PC360's. AD700 is widely regarded because it's a cultural fad. And yea, I'm bitter about it. I have them. I also have M50's. Both are not very special headphones at all, and frankly not worth their price tags. Just my opinion. I enjoyed the XB500 more frankly. And I didn't think the AD700's were comfortable at all. They were made for huge heads I guess. The phones are angled in a way that they're not flat against your head unless you're just sporting a huge wide head. So they put lower pressure points on people with normal heads. Bleh. The Sennheisers sound great, can do some bass, and are comfortable. And I'm not even a fan of Sennheiser at all.

You could also just get an inexpensive Samson SR850 or Superlux HD668B and a clip on mic.

Very best,

Sep 5, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #17 of 25
If what NamelessPFG is talking about is what you want (basically decent positional audio), the AD 700s would be your best choice. The SQ is slightly higher, mainly due to being open and having a better soundstage. The soundstage helps the positioning, and the fact they are open makes them less "in your head" and more like everything is happening around you. People often say they lack bass, but I find the bass to be perfect for gaming, as it is definitely there, and it is detailed, but it isn't overwhelming.

As far as gaming headphones go, you won't do any better for the price. Just have to get a clip on or desktop mic. Or do the Fragtality mod.

Sep 5, 2011 at 8:34 AM Post #18 of 25

Quote:
I guess opinions are divided on here as to whether gaming offers high quality sound and is a good utiliser for high end headphones....

Think i'm leaning towards to Sennheiser PC360, even though the AD700 seems to be very highly regarded on here.. but my decision seems to be change day to day!

If spending that much you might be better off with the DT440 or HD598. I haven't seen much on the PC360 at all so I really couldn't say.

Quote:
Heya,

Get the PC360's. AD700 is widely regarded because it's a cultural fad. And yea, I'm bitter about it. I have them. I also have M50's. Both are not very special headphones at all, and frankly not worth their price tags. Just my opinion. I enjoyed the XB500 more frankly. And I didn't think the AD700's were comfortable at all. They were made for huge heads I guess. The phones are angled in a way that they're not flat against your head unless you're just sporting a huge wide head. So they put lower pressure points on people with normal heads. Bleh. The Sennheisers sound great, can do some bass, and are comfortable. And I'm not even a fan of Sennheiser at all.

You could also just get an inexpensive Samson SR850 or Superlux HD668B and a clip on mic.

Very best,

I'll agree about he M50 not being great (though I don't like closed phones in general) but I personally like the AD700.  There are better phones for the money such as the MS-1 or DT440 but I do enjoy them more than any Sennheiser I heard in the range.

Sep 5, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #19 of 25
Just go with PC 360. They do everything right for gaming and for music. And because they are real headset there isn't any hassle with extra mics and cables. AND you can adjust volume and mute mic easily (that boom mic is superb).

Watch akaTrent review. He has short (really short) compare to AD 700 also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuebS4bTlGQ

Sep 5, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #20 of 25

Quote:

If spending that much you might be better off with the DT440 or HD598. I haven't seen much on the PC360 at all so I really couldn't say.

I'll agree about he M50 not being great (though I don't like closed phones in general) but I personally like the AD700.  There are better phones for the money such as the MS-1 or DT440 but I do enjoy them more than any Sennheiser I heard in the range.

The HD598 headphones are getting way too expensive for my liking. I wouldnt want to spend another £30 extra. Personally i think I £125 for the PC360 is pretty expensive too, but that's the most I'm willing to spend. The AD-700 are a bit cheaper, but the prices seem to have gone up in the UK and seem to be more difficult to source for some reason. The other concern with the AD700 which has been mentioned by MalveauX is that the AD-700's are only comfortable for large heads? My head would probably be on the smaller side... so maybe wont be as comfortable?

Sep 5, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #21 of 25

Quote:
Just go with PC 360. They do everything right for gaming and for music. And because they are real headset there isn't any hassle with extra mics and cables. AND you can adjust volume and mute mic easily (that boom mic is superb).

Watch akaTrent review. He has short (really short) compare to AD 700 also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuebS4bTlGQ

I noticed from your sig that you got the PC-360. So what are your impressions, happy with them? Any negatives to speak of? £130 is alot of money for headphones in my book, so I'm being extra cautious!

Sep 5, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #22 of 25

Quote:
Heya,

Very best,

Thanks for the feedback MalVeauX.

Sep 6, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #23 of 25

Quote:
I noticed from your sig that you got the PC-360. So what are your impressions, happy with them? Any negatives to speak of? £130 is alot of money for headphones in my book, so I'm being extra cautious!

I think these are well worth the money and easily the best headset I have owned. For both gaming and music I don't need to switch headphones anymore so could not be happier :)

For that price you don't get any better headset imo. I haven't got chance to try AD 700 but im sure that PC-360 are more practical with easy to mute mic and volume control.

Sep 6, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:
The HD598 headphones are getting way too expensive for my liking. I wouldnt want to spend another £30 extra. Personally i think I £125 for the PC360 is pretty expensive too, but that's the most I'm willing to spend. The AD-700 are a bit cheaper, but the prices seem to have gone up in the UK and seem to be more difficult to source for some reason. The other concern with the AD700 which has been mentioned by MalveauX is that the AD-700's are only comfortable for large heads? My head would probably be on the smaller side... so maybe wont be as comfortable?

I wouldn't be too worried about the fit on the AD700s. Audio Technica uses the "wing" design across its entire product line including their higher end headphones, for someone to suggest they're made for only people with big heads is pretty ignorant. If they don't fit you at all, either you're a pinhead
biggrin.gif
or a baldie or both. Even if you have a slightly smaller than average head, they should fit you just fine. Check out the video below for reference, the person reviewing them seems to have a slightly smaller than average head size but they fit well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTBn9NjZfNs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back