Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 Discussion (and Appreciation) Thread!
Nov 3, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #766 of 873
BTW, are AD2000x and AD2000 pads identical? There are AD2000X pads on ebay - http://www.ebay.com/itm/OFFICIAL-Audio-technica-ear-pad-HP-AD2000X-for-ATH-AD2000X-/111132625860?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e0054bc4 , but no AD2000 pads...

Dec 8, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #770 of 873
Audio-Technica US sold me two ATH-AD2000 earpads at $18.30 each + ~$10 shipping. That shipping also included another part (a metal headband piece that snapped inside the cover, I think I'm the 5th or 6th owner or thereabouts).

I'm probably too late for remilio but I thought I'd post this for future readers.

Edit: No idea if they'd ship outside the US.

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #771 of 873
  Audio-Technica US sold me two ATH-AD2000 earpads at $18.30 each + ~$10 shipping. That shipping also included another part (a metal headband piece that snapped inside the cover, I think I'm the 5th or 6th owner or thereabouts).

I'm probably too late for remilio but I thought I'd post this for future readers.

Edit: No idea if they'd ship outside the US.

Thanks for information! Well, it's not too late for me, because I'm still waiting for my pair of headphones (russian post is slooooow) :D

Dec 9, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #772 of 873
go_quote.gif

Thanks for information! Well, it's not too late for me, because I'm still waiting for my pair of headphones (russian post is slooooow) :D

You can actually use ebay in Russia? Didnt know that!

Dec 9, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #773 of 873

You can actually use ebay in Russia? Didnt know that!

I actually bought AD2000 here, not on eBay, but yes, eBay is fully available in Russia, if you don't mind to wait for stupid customs and post to deliver your goods lol :)) This is why so many sellers reject sending something there.

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #774 of 873
Hey guys!

I just built a Beta 22 and currently using ATH-AD900's + w5000 pads and a rope mod. When I was using them with my old amp and previous Xonar STX I loved them, but the Beta 22 is just nuclear overkill and I was hilariously surprised at how much detail the 900's can provide when properly amped. I mean... it's just surreal. Absolutely amazing.

That said, I've always had an eye out for the AD2000X's. Other headphones, while comparable in sound, just don't due it for me due to the comfort the ATH series provides and now I'm genuinely curious as to how high "hi-fi" can actually go.

Is the ATH-AD2KX a good pairing with the Beta 22? Is it a significant upgrade from the 900's?

Jan 2, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #775 of 873
i have a B22 and the AD2000, non-x version. i was able to listen briefly to the 900 with my B22 at a meet. to my ears, the AD2000 was worth the extra. i've not heard the AD2Kx.

Feb 12, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #776 of 873
I've been listening to the ad2kx's for about 100 hours now and while it took some getting used to due to my familiarity with the 900's, I'll say it's an overall complete improvement over the 900's. The soundstage is slightly narrower but electronica is absolutely killer and I don't think I've heard headphones reproduce drums of all kinds so well. I don't have a frame of reference to compare the x's to the old 2000's but I'm definitely happy with the purchase!

For the headband issues, I took two black hair ties, looped them together, and looped them into the wings. The fit is actually better than the 900's now and is extremely comfortable. 

Definitely my favorite pair of headphones thus far. :)

Jan 15, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #778 of 873
Just got one pair of these to try, love the sound. But the pressure on ears (or face) is a bit high. I wonder if the headband can be bent a bit so to make it less tight (like those Grados) ? I can't tell what kind of material was used for the headband, seems pretty rigid and not easy to bend. 

Jan 16, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #779 of 873
  Just got one pair of these to try, love the sound. But the pressure on ears (or face) is a bit high. I wonder if the headband can be bent a bit so to make it less tight (like those Grados) ? I can't tell what kind of material was used for the headband, seems pretty rigid and not easy to bend. 

Not sure whether you'd be able to bend the AD2000 headband or not. If you did I imagine it being gradual over a length of time.

You could also try stuffing the inside of the earpads with something. Audio Technica's velour type pads are flat, empty, and padless. I used to cut out pieces of an old sweater or tshirt. It changes the sound a little bit depending on how much you actually use and where you put it, but not necessarily in a bad way. I used to stuff only the rear half to angle the drivers more towards the ears and make it so the inside grill over the drivers wasn't touching my ears as well. Doesn't decrease pressure, but definitely a lot more padded/soft, not touching the ears, etc.

Jan 16, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #780 of 873

Not sure whether you'd be able to bend the AD2000 headband or not. If you did I imagine it being gradual over a length of time.

You could also try stuffing the inside of the earpads with something. Audio Technica's velour type pads are flat, empty, and padless. I used to cut out pieces of an old sweater or tshirt. It changes the sound a little bit depending on how much you actually use and where you put it, but not necessarily in a bad way. I used to stuff only the rear half to angle the drivers more towards the ears and make it so the inside grill over the drivers wasn't touching my ears as well. Doesn't decrease pressure, but definitely a lot more padded/soft, not touching the ears, etc.

Thanks. I did add a rim of foam underneath the stock pads so my ears won't touch the drivers. Sound wise I didn't notice any change, but I didn't do any serious A/B comparison anyway.

Actually the tight fit makes the headphones stay put, so they don't shake or move when I move my head. Pretty comfortable as they are (after adding the foam), I'm afraid if I bend the headband too loose, they might not be able to stay on my head as well as they are right now. Used to have the W3000ANV which were a bit too loose and didn't stay well on my head. 

Will wear them for a bit longer time this weekend and see if I'd feel any problem w/ the fit :)  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back