Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 Discussion (and Appreciation) Thread!
Feb 10, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #76 of 873

Quote:
I've said it before in another thread and I'll say it here again: no one has heard the AD2K until they've heard it on a Dynalo. No one.
tongue_smile.gif

I've had my AD2K a long time now (since June 2006) and have listened to it on countless amps over the years. IMO, there's only one low-cost amp for it worth buying - the Dynalo. No other amps really need apply.

Also, music with kettle drums, snare drum, or tom-toms (or other fast drums) tends to really show off the AD2K's capabilities. Three tracks in particular that I recommend for really hearing what the AD2K can do with drums: Megadeth's "Sweating Bullets" (the MFSL version), Helloween's "Where The Sinners Go", and Massive Attack's "Pray for Rain".

And to anyone who might complain about drums sounding too fast on the AD2K: would you prefer if the drums were purposefully slow? It's all about speed, man!
very_evil_smiley.gif

In reference to this, I saw a thread saying the Gilmore Lite was meant to be amazing with the AD2000. Does the Lite have some kind of relationship with the Dynalo DIY?

Feb 10, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #78 of 873
The Lite is a Dynalo basically, except not many people can DIY like Justin. I also would like to add that an Elpac'd Dynalo is a bit less than ideal. A good power supply is damn near essential to amp performance, so the original KG psu or Sigma would be the way to go.

Edit: actually, the original KG psu is kinda hard to find. The extra psu that came with the Lite should do just fine, or just a GS-1 or GS-X.

Feb 10, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #79 of 873

Quote:
The Lite is a Dynalo basically, except not many people can DIY like Justin. I also would like to add that an Elpac'd Dynalo is a bit less than ideal. A good power supply is damn near essential to amp performance, so the original KG psu or Sigma would be the way to go.

Edit: actually, the original KG psu is kinda hard to find. The extra psu that came with the Lite should do just fine, or just a GS-1 or GS-X.

Hmm, tempting me to sell my HA-160 in search of a 240V Gilmore Lite. I'd think the HA-160 sound signature should compliment the AD2000 well. It's fast, aggressive and punchy.

Feb 11, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #80 of 873
x2. It's a completely different phone. the most seductive phone I've ever heard. I really like the ad900 and would like to own one again, but it's just not comparable.

Quote:
The AD2000 is not an evolution of the AD900. it's a totally different headphone. Whereas the AD900 had a large spacious sounstage, the AD2000 is much more in-your-face, much faster, and has more resolution. You might be disappointed if you're expecting a much improved AD900.

Feb 11, 2011 at 4:34 AM Post #81 of 873
yup. I completely agree. The bass of the ad2000, especially with a good amp, is just about incredible. It is tight, controlled, there's plenty of it and it is deliciously textured (does this make sense?).

Quote:
Quote:
How much bass do these have? My only experience with AT headphones are the AD700 and I sold those mostly due to lack of bass. I wouldn't call myself a bass head but I do want better quality than the AD700 and a bit more quantity. The sound stage was a bit too large and artificial so these might be close to what I would want.

As for the AD900 popularity I don't think they were really sold until recently. I saw them FS on amazon yesterday which was pretty surprising.

The bass is much, much better. The AD700 and AD900 have rolled off bass, it's not at the level it should be. The AD2000s IMO have just the right amount of bass. It doesn't add it or roll it off. It's punchy, accurate and never flabby.

Feb 11, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #82 of 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by atothex View Post

I wouldn't expect to get good AD2000 bass from your current stuff. IMO and IME, you need a really good source 1st, then a lot of current and low output impedance amp.

Well, actually the ad2000 has much better bass with a high impedance graham slee solo than with the low impedance little dot 1+ (no synergy there whatsoever, although it sounds wonderful with the ath w1000).

Feb 11, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #83 of 873
You, sir, are evil!
wink.gif
Having just splurged on a new tube amp with tubes you're telling me to buy yet another amp!

Note to self: need extra job to quench Head-Fi upgraditis...

Quote:
I've said it before in another thread and I'll say it here again: no one has heard the AD2K until they've heard it on a Dynalo. No one.
tongue_smile.gif

I've had my AD2K a long time now (since June 2006) and have listened to it on countless amps over the years. IMO, there's only one low-cost amp for it worth buying - the Dynalo. No other amps really need apply.

Also, music with kettle drums, snare drum, or tom-toms (or other fast drums) tends to really show off the AD2K's capabilities. Three tracks in particular that I recommend for really hearing what the AD2K can do with drums: Megadeth's "Sweating Bullets" (the MFSL version), Helloween's "Where The Sinners Go", and Massive Attack's "Pray for Rain".

And to anyone who might complain about drums sounding too fast on the AD2K: would you prefer if the drums were purposefully slow? It's all about speed, man!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 11, 2011 at 7:24 AM Post #84 of 873

Quote:
Note to self: need extra job to quench Head-Fi upgraditis...

Note to self: need a spine to keep myself from being talked into stuff I don't need.

There, fixed that for you. 
wink.gif

Feb 11, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #85 of 873

Quote:
In terms of percentage of improvement, that's hard. Basically I loved the presentation of the AD900s, but I had an issue with the lack of bass.  The AD2000s gave me that extra refinement and bass that I want from a headphone I plan on keeping for a while.

Since you have both the Sennheiser HD650 and the Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000, could you give me some insight in their differences? And which do you prefer? For what types of music is either headphone best suited? Which do you ultimately think is the better one of the two? And – perhaps most importantly – which makes you not want to stop listening to music?

Feb 11, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #86 of 873

Quote:

Quote:

I wouldn't expect to get good AD2000 bass from your current stuff. IMO and IME, you need a really good source 1st, then a lot of current and low output impedance amp.

Well, actually the ad2000 has much better bass with a high impedance graham slee solo than with the low impedance little dot 1+ (no synergy there whatsoever, although it sounds wonderful with the ath w1000).

Well that's very damning of the Little Dot, then, isn't it?

And isn't the Graham Slee a solid state? How the heck does a decent solid state have high output impedance? I couldn't find the output impedance rating on their website...

Feb 11, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #87 of 873
I don't think I understand either of your remarks. Not sure what's so damning for the little dot, because it is an incredible amp for its price and drives my w1000 and k500 perfectly. I'm also not sure why a solid state amp should not have high output impedance.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Well that's very damning of the Little Dot, then, isn't it?

And isn't the Graham Slee a solid state? How the heck does a decent solid state have high output impedance? I couldn't find the output impedance rating on their website...

Feb 11, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #88 of 873

Quote:

Quote:
In terms of percentage of improvement, that's hard. Basically I loved the presentation of the AD900s, but I had an issue with the lack of bass.  The AD2000s gave me that extra refinement and bass that I want from a headphone I plan on keeping for a while.

Since you have both the Sennheiser HD650 and the Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000, could you give me some insight in their differences? And which do you prefer? For what types of music is either headphone best suited? Which do you ultimately think is the better one of the two? And – perhaps most importantly – which makes you not want to stop listening to music?

I'm still awaiting the HD650 I purchased a while ago to arrive, so I cannot tell you just yet. If you remind me in a week and a half or so via PM I will be able to tell you. I do plan on selling these when they arrive though as I heard both at a meet and I liked the AD2000 much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back