Audio Technica ATH-A900X Discussion Thread (Formerly A-900X Review)
Mar 19, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #376 of 539
Reading through the thread, these's a bit of talk about pads and bass response. I have both types of HiFiman pads - the velour and the pleather. FWIW, I have a very big head (XL helmet). The velour pads maintain most of the original characteristics, including the open, clear presentation. Slightly more lean sounding, slightly, but far more comfortable to wear over a longer period.

HiFiman pleather pads: Not enough bass? Want your ATs to turn into bass cannons? You've found your pad. They seal completely around the ear. If yours don't, remove the inner ring under the pad. The bass is somewhat loose and less defined (putting it mildly), but there's a whole lot of it. Unfortunately, the entire presentation is ruled by this event, clouding the mids and noticeably rolling off the highs. Interestingly, the open AD900x which I also own, exhibited an almost identical effect with the pleather pads.

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #377 of 539
Reading through the thread, these's a bit of talk about pads and bass response. I have both types of HiFiman pads - the velour and the pleather. FWIW, I have a very big head (XL helmet). The velour pads maintain most of the original characteristics, including the open, clear presentation. Slightly more lean sounding, slightly, but far more comfortable to wear over a longer period.

HiFiman pleather pads: Not enough bass? Want your ATs to turn into bass cannons? You've found your pad. They seal completely around the ear. If yours don't, remove the inner ring under the pad. The bass is somewhat loose and less defined (putting it mildly), but there's a whole lot of it. Unfortunately, the entire presentation is ruled by this event, clouding the mids and noticeably rolling off the highs. Interestingly, the open AD900x which I also own, exhibited an almost identical effect with the pleather pads.

I own the A900X (Hifiman Velours) and sometimes thought about adding the AD900X to my collection.
How do the A900X & AD900X headphones compare to each other?

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #378 of 539
I own the A900X (Hifiman Velours) and sometimes thought about adding the AD900X to my collection.

The ADs are a bit more extended and detailed on top, but not overly bright. The mids are more open sounding on the ADs, but a touch lightweight compared to the As. Same with the bass. The As have more slam and weight, and a bit more extension. The AD's bass - albeit not as strong as the As - is very well defined with no overhang, perhaps a touch more so than the As. All this being said, the AD's advantages essentially disappear in a somewhat noisy environment. I'm listening to them now in a dead-quiet space and the sound is spectacular with the newly remastered Johnny Cash LP reissues. Not so much with my wife and kids around. That's when the As and K550s come out, or I just turn up the main system :).

Edit: text

Mar 20, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #379 of 539

The AD900x is a nice headphone. I think you will appreciate the AD900x.  They are not as warm as the A900x, but they are very similar sounding.  I sold both, but it seems that the A/AD series are my favorite headphones
frown.gif

My K550s are arriving today!  Anyone have experience with both the A900x and the K550? 

Mar 20, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #380 of 539
The AD900x is a nice headphone. I think you will appreciate the AD900x.  They are not as warm as the A900x, but they are very similar sounding.  I sold both, but it seems that the A/AD series are my favorite headphones :frowning2:  

My K550s are arriving today!  Anyone have experience with both the A900x and the K550? 

Heh, I own both, having said so in the post right above yours. I hope you like the 550s. Mine were virtually unlistenable out of the box: overly bright (and I mean BRIGHT), a lack of upper bass to give the sound any sense of foundation, congested mids. Imagine the reverse of a RIAA EQ, but not as severe. I broke them in for ~100 hours and nothing really changed. At least not enough. Then I stated modding the cans. The results were good, in a sense that I could listen to the 550s for more than 5 minutes, but overall they were nowhere near the ATs. As time passed and I used the 550s, I noticed a dulling of the sound and began to remove some of the more drastic mods. Over time, I removed 90% of the mods, as the cans finally stated to sound balanced. Still somewhat bright - more so than the ADs, but without the smoothness - but much better than before. Now I can wear them for an hour or two. Truth be told, I think the K550 is one of the more overrated products on this forum. They look great, though. :wink:

Edit: Hope you have a big head. I wear a XL helmet and still had to mod mine for a good seal. YMMV

Mar 20, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #381 of 539
  The AD900x is a nice headphone. I think you will appreciate the AD900x.  They are not as warm as the A900x, but they are very similar sounding.  I sold both, but it seems that the A/AD series are my favorite headphones
frown.gif

I own both the A900X and K550, in prefer the warmer (heavier?) sound of the A900Xs
The K550s offer good detail,
In comparison to the A900X , the K550 sound is not as in your face as the A900Xs, which I guess is a benefit for the K550 if you wear headphones for long periods of time, like when you game for over 24 hours straight
rolleyes.gif

I'm planning on selling off my K550s sometime in the future, but I do get a little attached to them
redface.gif

Mar 20, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #382 of 539

I own both the A900X and K550, in prefer the warmer (heavier?) sound of the A900Xs
The K550s offer good detail,
In comparison to the A900X , the K550 sound is not as in your face as the A900Xs, which I guess is a benefit for the K550 if you wear headphones for long periods of time, like when you game for over 24 hours straight
rolleyes.gif

I'm planning on selling off my K550s sometime in the future, but I do get a little attached to them
redface.gif

Not even going to try them out!  Super disappointed in the "Factory Reconditioned" version of the AKG 550
frown.gif

Scratched up, and the earpads.. Holy ****!  So worn out
Sent to me in a half taped baggy, with tape residue, finger prints, and hair on the headphone/in the bag. 
EDIT: Going to return them (*maybe*), and not looking back.  A900x I'm coming back for you!! 
biggrin.gif

You decide on the AD900x yet? 

Mar 20, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #383 of 539
Heh, I own both, having said so in the post right above yours. I hope you like the 550s. Mine were virtually unlistenable out of the box: overly bright (and I mean BRIGHT), a lack of upper bass to give the sound any sense of foundation, congested mids. Imagine the reverse of a RIAA EQ, but not as severe. I broke them in for ~100 hours and nothing really changed. At least not enough. Then I stated modding the cans. The results were good, in a sense that I could listen to the 550s for more than 5 minutes, but overall they were nowhere near the ATs. As time passed and I used the 550s, I noticed a dulling of the sound and began to remove some of the more drastic mods. Over time, I removed 90% of the mods, as the cans finally stated to sound balanced. Still somewhat bright - more so than the ADs, but without the smoothness - but much better than before. Now I can wear them for an hour or two. Truth be told, I think the K550 is one of the more overrated products on this forum. They look great, though.
wink.gif

Edit: Hope you have a big head. I wear a XL helmet and still had to mod mine for a good seal. YMMV

Haha!  No, I do not have a XL sized head XD

I am on the fence of returning/exchanging the K550.  You think I should buy another A900x?  The way I got the K550 today makes me wish I never sold my A900x haha

Mar 20, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #384 of 539
Could somebody who owns the a900X let me know how it sounds with chiptunes and dubstep? Also, the piece that the headset comes resting on in the box, can it be used as a headset stand? Thanks!

Mar 20, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #385 of 539
Haha!  No, I do not have a XL sized head XD

I am on the fence of returning/exchanging the K550.  You think I should buy another A900x?  The way I got the K550 today makes me wish I never sold my A900x haha

If you really liked them, absolutely. As a point of interest, the A900x (along with the AD) carry quite a bit of cred in the audiophile community.

Mar 20, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #386 of 539

Not even going to try them out!  Super disappointed in the "Factory Reconditioned" version of the AKG 550
frown.gif

Scratched up, and the earpads.. Holy ****!  So worn out
Sent to me in a half taped baggy, with tape residue, finger prints, and hair on the headphone/in the bag. 
EDIT: Going to return them (*maybe*), and not looking back.  A900x I'm coming back for you!! 
biggrin.gif

You decide on the AD900x yet? 

I keep my eye out for a AD900X that is selling used for a really good price.
Also have my eye on a AKG K612 Pro

Mar 22, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #387 of 539
If you really liked them, absolutely. As a point of interest, the A900x (along with the AD) carry quite a bit of cred in the audiophile community.

I was not going to even test out the K550 because of the way Harman sent them, but I could not resist!  My initial impressions:  Cold, bass bloated, muffled, and intimate?????  Did I receive a lemon, or are they that over hyped?  From memory, the A900x is superior in every way sound wise..

My only real issues with the A900x/AD900x is the way they color rock/metal/etc.

I keep my eye out for a AD900X that is selling used for a really good price.
Also have my eye on a AKG K612 Pro

Good luck! 

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #388 of 539
Hey i'm looking for some replacement pads for my A900X, I read a few pages of the fourm and saw that the HiFiman velour pads are popular but i was wondering if its possible to get pads similar to what comes on the Steel Series Wireless H headphones. They look very soft and comfy for long gaming and seem to seal the headphones pretty well from external noise. The "Fostex T50RP's Version 3" also use similar quality earpads. Does anyone have any suggestions on where i can get pads like that which fit on the A900X? 

Apr 8, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #390 of 539
Hope I'm posting this in the right place, I've used search function but no dice. I've been looking into ordering these but the only thing holding me back is seeing "discontinued by manufacturer" on some sites like amazon n what not. Question being if theres any info on whether or not there will be a successor/updated version. Similar to the m50x being the m50 but with a detachable cable or something to that nature. It doesn't say discontinued on AT's site though, anyone have any input? Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back