audio-technica ATH-A2000X
May 12, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #242 of 399
Well, people's impressions of AD2000 suggest it would be the complete opposite sound-signature-wise.

May 15, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #243 of 399
I had another listen to the A2000X, but this time out of a Luxman P-1u using a Yamaha SACD player.  They still have very forward mids, pleasant treble, but are lack-luster in the bass.  I have it in mind to try them alongside the AD2000s, but I'd take a wild guess that they would be like an AD2000 with the pads stuffed to make them thicker, which tends to fix the congested treble.  Despite the mids, the W1000X has a nicer overall balance IMO.

May 16, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #244 of 399
yeah the more I own them, the more I see how the W1000X has a forward midrange, especially at lower levels, but I think my original impression of there being great balance was right, like yours. 

Does make me wonder about the A2000X... I really wish I could audition one myself. But, I suppose if the bass is lackluster out of a luxman p-1u not much is going to make it sound better haha. 

Could you go a bit more in depth about why the bass is lack luster and what headphones it might compare to. Like lackluster to a D7000 is one thing, lack luster to a W5000 or SA5K is another story, yaknow :p.

how does the titanium look in the flesh. the W1000X looks a hell of a lot better in person than it already does in the photos.

Thanks for taking the time to go and listen and post here a few times BTW. You are the man!

Quote:
I had another listen to the A2000X, but this time out of a Luxman P-1u using a Yamaha SACD player.  They still have very forward mids, pleasant treble, but are lack-luster in the bass.  I have it in mind to try them alongside the AD2000s, but I'd take a wild guess that they would be like an AD2000 with the pads stuffed to make them thicker, which tends to fix the congested treble.  Despite the mids, the W1000X has a nicer overall balance IMO.

May 16, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #245 of 399
Can somebody recommend some good pads for the ATH-A700's these hurt my ears a bit.

Or can you tell me how to "break in" the pad? If that's even possible they seem soft but stiff on my ear if that makes sense.

Regards,

May 16, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #246 of 399

Quote:

Try to listen to a pair with ~500 hours burn-in, I think you'll like it better.
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Can somebody recommend some good pads for the ATH-A700's these hurt my ears a bit.

Or can you tell me how to "break in" the pad? If that's even possible they seem soft but stiff on my ear if that makes sense.

Regards,

The A2000X's clarino pads are certainly too small for the A700.
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #247 of 399

Hello. I am from Australia and I recently purchased a set of audio technica ath-a2000x headphones.

I was reading your in depth review and Im wondering if you can advise me on a few things.

It has been about 3 days since I have had these headphones.

They are connected to a graham slee voyager amplifier  which is a portable amplifier and one of the best you can buy in that category.

Im playing the music from my iphone.

I have a special connector that plugs into  the charge point of the iphone which bypasses the poor quality headphone jack.

My opinion on the sound is mixed.

It is exceptionally clear but I find the highs are too high pitch, almost being irritating. I have no equalizers set. It is un-edited sound.

I also find there is not enough bass for my liking even though I am not a bass-head I would have liked a bit more.

How did yours sound when you first bought them?

I have been advised to to run pink noise through them for three straight days on medium volume and the highs will calm themselves down.

Can you compare the sound from when they were new and now?

I don't have a lot of money and these were quite expensive which I had to save up for.

Hopefully burn in will improve it but you are the best person to ask as you are ahead of me.

Regards, Peter

Apr 30, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #248 of 399

Quote:

Hello. I am from Australia and I recently purchased a set of audio technica ath-a2000x headphones.

I was reading your in depth review and Im wondering if you can advise me on a few things.

They are connected to a graham slee voyager amplifier  which is a portable amplifier and one of the best you can buy in that category.

I have a special connector that plugs into  the charge point of the iphone which bypasses the poor quality headphone jack.

It is exceptionally clear but I find the highs are too high pitch, almost being irritating. I have no equalizers set. It is un-edited sound.

I also find there is not enough bass for my liking even though I am not a bass-head I would have liked a bit more.

I have been advised to to run pink noise through them for three straight days on medium volume and the highs will calm themselves down.

I don't have a lot of money and these were quite expensive which I had to save up for.

Hopefully burn in will improve it but you are the best person to ask as you are ahead of me.

Regards, Peter

Hey I have heard of this headphone myself and I love it a lot.

Thing is, A2000X is very picky and yet sensitive to amplifiers. You really need a compatible type to complement it.

On some amplifiers the highs are very sibilance but on some other the highs are beautifully extended and stop short of sibilance. The bass response is tight but it is much lesser than many other headphones you see out there.

I guess as you can tell, its strength is in its clarity, resolution, imaging, soundstaging, mids and highs.

Burn in will help but if you can, try another amp (avoid tube amp though).

I won't be surprise if they sound better from your iphone than from your graham slee voyager amplifier =)

Apr 30, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #249 of 399
See if you can't find someone with a W1000X who will do a swap. The amount of bass wont change with use.

Apr 30, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #250 of 399
I have tested the sound directly from my iphone jack and the graham slee amplifier is WAY ahead in its sound quality. The graham slee amplifier is one of the best portable amps you can buy with audiophile components! It is also not a tube amp. I was going to buy the meier stepdance amplifier but I wanted the best and payed the extra money for the graham slee. All the reviews on the internet rate it very highly with an average rating of 9/10
It has more clarity, depth, fullness, bass and more volume than the iphone.
Which is why I have bypassed the iphone headphone jack with a custom dock.
I currently have it running pink noise through it at a medium - slightly high volume.
As i mentioned in my previous post I was advised to run pink noise through it for 3 continuous days at a mininum as for some reason it takes a long time for this particular AT model to burn in.
I have been reading other posts of other a2000x users and most say they require a long burn in period. 
Appreciate the opinions out there, so keep them coming!!

Apr 30, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #251 of 399

Regards, Peter

Apr 30, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #252 of 399

Quote:
I have tested the sound directly from my iphone jack and the graham slee amplifier is WAY ahead in its sound quality. The graham slee amplifier is one of the best portable amps you can buy with audiophile components!

I have heard of the graham slee amp with my ESW10 and i wasnt impressed with it thats why I went for Stepdance.

With bad amps audio technica cans would sound better out from iphone instead. If it sounded better on your graham then its good for you. Artmon won't reply you. I tried pm-ing him some months ago and he just ignored my pm.
Was on the verge of getting A2000X myself but I didn't in the end because I don't know which desktop amp to pair it with.

Apr 30, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #253 of 399
I know of an amplifier for you. Check out this link: http://www.wickeddigital.com.au/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=joomlaplates.tpl&product_id=672&category_id=21&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

Im suprised you did not like that graham slee amplifier.
I have tested it through my computer, my brother's nokia n95 mobile, ipod touch, iphone 4, and even connected it to a keyboard amplifier and the sound was fantastic.
Maybe your headphones aren't suited, who knows?

You sound like you have negative bias toward the graham slee amps but you shouldnt  as it is quite easy to get a much better sound compared to an iphone jack. Its not that hard.
Maybe you did not like the sound and thats fair enough.
I have just ordered the stepdance amplifier you mentioned and will post my thoughts once I receive it and will compare it with the voyager. I opted for express post so i should have it by tuesday.
Its about half the price of the voyager too...
The ESW10 headphones you have are quite good also.
Did you find you had to burn in those esw10's?
Or was there not much difference?
cheers

Apr 30, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #254 of 399
I can't remember the sound of the ATH-A2000X out of the box.
I can quote one of my own posts in that year:
Quote:
Out of the box I recognized a closed phone with the sound of an open one.
I noticed some brightness and a lack of detail with some discs.
I noticed the name of the discs but continued burning in.
Yesterday I played those discs again and: gone were the brightness and the lack of detail.

The burn-in time was a couple of weeks. Normal use, not continuous
Today, I have tried my ATH-A2000X with my Cowon J3 (not equalized) They equel the sound of my Westone 4 IEM's. I don ‘t have an Iphone.
You have connected your phones to your Iphone. I hope, you have'nt used silver or silver plated copper. That can couse the brightness, you mentioned. 

Apr 30, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #255 of 399
@ bortous: The best amp so far for Audio Technica headphones is still Yamamoto Tube Amp. I have tried several top end portable amps including SR71, Pico Amp, iQube, Stepdance, Graham Slee Voyager and etc. Bought iQube and Stepdance in the end. Not to say that the rest are bad, but its about how they all synergies with my gears.

Won't be getting DACPort. I have a better DAC and desktop amp than that.

ESW10 requires burn in too. The change is not as exaggerated. Improve in separation and clarity by a little across the frequencies. However, like all other Audio Technica headphones, with the wrong amp (even if it is technically superior on paper), it will sound as if it is some $100 headphones. Because ESW10 is more portable than A1000X (which I used to own), I carry it around to audition it with different headamps. Really had a headache getting an amp for it because I know its potential is great but none can bring it out. I am using W1000X now as it is easier to match with amps compared to ESW10 and A1000X which I used to own.

Just curious, where did you order Stepdance from? It is soldout worldwide.

Voyager's list price is lower than Stepdance too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back