audio-technica ATH-A2000X
May 9, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #271 of 399
what amp are you using? i am still finding one that is reasonably good but cheaper than yamamoto and HA5000!

May 19, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #272 of 399
what amp are you using? i am still finding one that is reasonably good but cheaper than yamamoto and HA5000!

Is a 220V version HA5000, it was some "copy" but the boards are different but sounds the same and its 220V.

May 21, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #273 of 399
Hello People.
It has been a while since I posted any more updates since being the proud owner of the AT a2000x headphones.
It has been a few weeks of listening and experimenting with two different headphone amps: Graham slee voyager and the meier stepdance.
When I first began listening to these headphones the highs were too high pitch to the point of being almost irritating.
This has miraculously disappeared now with use.
The headphones though are fantastic. Exceptional clarity with fantastic soundstage with the only criticism being is the bass response. Its too light but still acceptable.
Now, after listening to the headphones through both amps, it is hard to decide which one sounds better.
The sound quality and depth is so close that it would take a very highly trained ear to pick out any difference if any.
I used the same track which is a pan pipe instrumental version of the song "lady in red" which also contains other instruments and is also a high quality recording.
After listening to it with the two amps my conclusion is this.
I found the step dance to have slightly more emphasis on the low end frequency range but could not match the graham slee in the mids and highs.
However on a track with more bass such as michael jackson's "jam", the stepdance was better suited but I still found the graham slee bought out the mids and vocals better but doesn't mean it was more pleasant to listen to. 
I believe its song dependent. They are both fantastic amps and would recommend either one.
It would be interesting if someone could do the same comparison as mine with these two amps and write their conclusions on what they think.
cheers!!

Aug 6, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #275 of 399

A few quick questions.

1. What are the drivers made out of?

2. Recommend an Amp (or a Dac/Amp) to me? Not overly expensive, but willing to make an investment if it's worth it, ideally I'm looking for an amp with a unique synergy with the A2000X.

Currently I'm using the Teclast T51 (S:Flo 2) headphone-out jack, which is "Main: Rockchip RK2806, DAC: Wolfson WM8740SEDS 9AAASCF x 2, Headphone-out: Philips TDA1308, Line-out: Texas Instruments OPA2604"

I tried a $628 USD portable tube amplifier, and was not impressed with the sound!

I tried the Yulong U100 Dac/Amp yesterday, and was not impressed with the sound!  The result is my laptop sound-card (Sony Vaio VPCCW15FX) and the Teclast T51 sound better than the U100, The U100 has a much higher volume, and that's it, I'm disappointed, the signature becomes too flat, digitized, and a little forward and bright, which accentuates regions in the FR of the A2000X that should be left alone, most of all vocals suffer, and the transferral of intimacy completely evaporates.

I'm enjoying these out of my sound-card (volume is lower than ideal though) and the Teclast T51, but please help, I want to return/sell the Yulong and find something ideal, I don't care about my IEM's, I just want a killer amp specifically for the A2000X.  Or a killer DAC/Amp combo, since I was quite disappointed in the Yulong (with very good reviews) I don't know where to look now!  For the moment, I have my eye on the Fostex HP-A3, and the Fostex HP-A7 (looks very pretty, but has received controversial reviews in Japan, and pretty expensive, really stretching there).

Aug 6, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #276 of 399
You feel "sanctified" when using these?  LOL

The box says that the driver uses a neodymium magnet with 7N-OFC voice coils.

Aug 6, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #278 of 399

Quote:
You feel "sanctified" when using these?  LOL

The box says that the driver uses a neodymium magnet with 7N-OFC voice coils.

The box also talks about magnetized cobalt and iron alloy, ceramics, titanium, and magnesium alloy.

I understand that the voice coils are 7N copper, sorry, my question was actually meant to be what is the diaphragm in these made of? Does anyone know?

Aug 6, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #279 of 399
The diaphragm is some thin, durable polymer, I think.  Same for any headphone.

The magnesium alloy is what the rest of the headphone is made out of, except for the titanium cups, earpads, and headband (metal part).  Magnesium alloy prevents resonances and what not for maximum sound quality, but because the headphone uses so much of it, the price is a bit steep.  Magnetized cobalt and iron alloy?  The baffle possibly?  Driver encapsulation?  It is metal, but I know nothing beyond that.  Ceramic?  I don't know.  I also cannot find where it says these things you say.  Is it in the Japanese text?

Aug 6, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #280 of 399
It says, in english "*1 Permendur is magnetized alloy of cobalt and iron that enhanced sound quality."

Ceramics I read in a Japanese review.

As for the diaphragm, I was just curious if it was bio-cellulose by any chance, because when I took an earpad off and tried to look at it, it did look a bit like bio-cellulose, and that would help explain the "sanctity" and "euphoria" of the sound-quality a little.... perchance. :wink:

I never should have bought that ******* Etymotic ER-4PT, blocked my right ear, then I tried to fix my ear with a q-tip, now I'm getting an ear-infection I think, listening to the A2000X with 60% of my hearing or so =/..... still sounds amazing though.

Probably going to sell the Etymotic and J-phonic and buy a real killer amplifier for these.... any ideas?

Aug 6, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #281 of 399
I somehow overlooked the "permendur", lol!

Bio-cellulose?  I doubt it, but it is possible.

Aug 6, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #283 of 399

Quote:
"The voice coils of God, It's all in the Permendur, I tell you"
 ​
 ​

And an internet meme is created:

ATH-A2000X.jpg

Aug 8, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #285 of 399
How does the A2000x perform across all genres, and comparing to another all-rounder headphone (Sennheiser HD650)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back