audio-technica ATH-A2000X
Aug 8, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #287 of 399

Quote:
A2000X is the Zeus of headphones, HD650 is just a farmer girl.

Interesting..

What $500-600 DAC + Amp would you guys recommend? I am eyeing on the Matrix M-Stage + Matrix Mini-i, if there are any other better combos for the A2000x, please do tell me.

Aug 8, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #288 of 399
I have the same problem!

I'm thinking Fostex HP-A3.

Why? I'm using the Yulong U100 right now, it's too forward, digitized, flat-fielded, and bright.

I asked Mike at headfonia for a comparison to the Fostex HP-A3.

response "Hi Nicol,
The Yulong U100 is brighter, more forward sounding. The Fostex is more laid back, smoother, more spacious, warmer."

I replied "Thanks![...] does it have any competition at the $400 level? Size is not a concern to me."

response: "The HP-A3 is very good for the price, but it sounds like you need a warmer sounding box for the A2000X.
Try the HRT MS2/MS2+ paired with the Schiit Asgard. Should be a better combination for the A2000X."

I'll probably go for the Fostex anyway, good for the price, a good DAC, 32 bit, and a quality product made in Japan, just like the A2000X.

However, like you, I'm also considering the Matrix M-Stage, perhaps with the HRT MS2+? Not sure.

You can also consider the Fostex HP-A7, if you can afford it.

Aug 8, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #290 of 399
I agree. Give me a hot farmer girl over some greek god any day.

Indeed. =)

Yes, A2000X is an all-rounder. If you want a brighter, faster, little less laid-back sound with treble sparkle, try this headphone. HD650 will have more extra bass and warmth, and will also do a better job with harmonics, which hardly any headphones get right anyway.

Aug 8, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #291 of 399

Quote:
Yes, I am an all-rounder. If you want a brighter, faster, little less laid-back secretary with a sparkle in her eye, try this head.

The HD650 answering machine will have more extra bass and warmth, and will also do a better job with harmonics, which hardly anyone cares about anyway.

Aug 8, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #292 of 399
Quote:
A2000X is the Zeus of headphones, HD650 is just a farmer girl.

Quote:
I agree. Give me a hot farmer girl over some greek god any day.

Zeus?  That's not fair comparison for most people.  I'd take the farmer girl over Zeus, but I'd probably take Athena over the farmer girl...

Aug 8, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #293 of 399

Quote:
Zeus?  That's not fair comparison for most people.  I'd take the farmer girl over Zeus, but I'd probably take Athena over the farmer girl...

And which headphones would Athena be?
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #294 of 399
I don't know why you link A2000X to Zeus. I find A2000X to be feminine, very refined, demure and well cultivated. Zeus brings the imagery of a warrior which I don't find A2000X to exhibit any such characteristic.

And I am still wondering which amp will do justice to this headphone. HA5000 is rated at 110V and I don't want to get a step up transformer.

Aug 8, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #296 of 399
I don't see Zeus as a warrior at all, Zeus is just "the god of gods"... and when I put it that way, yes... I am reaching.

On the previous page the Pope was wearing the A2000X, and I'm not sure if he would be talking to Zeus, but it might scare him if he was.

When I look at my A2000X I don't think "Athena"....... please try a different deity.

@uelover... in that case, we are 3 people now looking for the perfect amp for this headphone. (not the Asgaard OK....)

@sidel..... we can decide on the correct deity of the A2000X first, and then move on from there (w1000x, W5000, AD2000 etc.)

Aug 8, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #297 of 399
We basically need an amp with high current and low impedance output. Meier's amp doesn't work well. I will think that Asgard works better than Meier's lineup.

Maybe Graham Solo Ultra Linear will work. It is small and cute and cost a bomb. Lol. 

Aug 8, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #298 of 399
Quote:
I don't see Zeus as a warrior at all, Zeus is just "the god of gods"... and when I put it that way, yes... I am reaching.

On the previous page the Pope was wearing the A2000X, and I'm not sure if he would be talking to Zeus, but it might scare him if he was.

When I look at my A2000X I don't think "Athena"....... please try a different deity.

To me, Zeus is most know for lightning bolts and having more affairs than Hera can keep track of.  He may technically be the king of the gods but he seems to spend most of time striking down anyone who offends him and sleeping with mortal women...

Have not heard the AD2000X I can't really but a deity to it myself.

Aug 8, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #299 of 399

Quote:
I don't know why you link A2000X to Zeus. I find A2000X to be feminine, very refined, demure and well cultivated. Zeus brings the imagery of a warrior which I don't find A2000X to exhibit any such characteristic.

And I am still wondering which amp will do justice to this headphone. HA5000 is rated at 110V and I don't want to get a step up transformer.

Any solid-state amp should do.  A2kX is only very slightly less efficient than a Grado.

On another note, DAC19 + A2000X is a heavenly combo.

Aug 8, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #300 of 399

Quote:
Any solid-state amp should do.  A2kX is only very slightly less efficient than a Grado.

On another note, DAC19 + A2000X is a heavenly combo.

Not any solid-state amp would do. I have tried many. A2k sounds lean/anemic, dull, or too sibilant on some amps (which is not the true characteristic of the headphone at all).

Any thing will drive A2k because they are easy to get the volume up but few will be able to make this headphone sing the way it should sing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back