audio-technica ATH-A2000X
Dec 28, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #31 of 399
Quote:

Gratz, certainly among the most eye catching beautiful headphones I've seen pictures of.

OK, some pictures ........................
artmon-albums-artmon-picture1635t-ath-a2000x-big.jpg
artmon-albums-artmon-picture1641t-ath-a2000x.jpg
artmon-albums-artmon-picture1639t-aut2-04.jpg
artmon-albums-artmon-picture1645t-aut2-06.jpg
..(not mine)

Dec 30, 2008 at 9:43 AM Post #32 of 399
[size=small]I am still very satisfied with my ATH-A2000X.[/size]
[size=small]There is something I have to add to my little review. It’s very dynamic too. With some classical music, I have to adjust the volume control very precise. I never noticed that before with my other phones. I like it.[/size]

[size=small]About the fit: I can change my glasses, without removing the phones from my head. For reading I have to remove my glasses. With the AKG 701: that was impossible.[/size]

Dec 30, 2008 at 12:25 PM Post #33 of 399
Hey everyone, I hope you all had a nice chrismas. (it is great to see more dutchies about). I have recently bought my first at-headphone the esw10jpn and I really like it though it is not as durable as i would have liked and it does not block sound os well, i intend to use it portably. Since I have tried nearly all the in production headphones i want to try, onlyu the gs1000 and the dx1000 are left and i want to try those before I buy becaus eI am relatively sure i wont really like them, i want to try some of at top models. My favourite cans at this moment are the akg k701, sony sa5000 and the esw10jpn, in that order, though the esw10jpn is the most ocmpact and has the most pleasing sound and is the best all-rounder. jI would really like to see some ocmparisons between ats top models which are i think the w5000, a2000x and the ad2000. I already know the ad2000 is open and the other 2 are closed. I guess they are all 3 made of wood....
any information/rejviews would be very much apreciated...
Greetings, Anouk,

Dec 30, 2008 at 12:45 PM Post #34 of 399
Anouk wrote
Quote:

I have recently bought my first at-headphone the esw10jpn and I really like it though it is not as durable as i would have liked and it does not block sound os well, i intend to use it portably.

If you use it in traffic, it’s dangerous to block sounds!
Quote:

[size=x-small][size=x-small]I guess they are all 3 made of wood....[/size]
[/size]

[size=x-small]The A2000X isn't made of wood. See pictures.[/size]
They block sound, but not very well.

[size=x-small]regards[/size]

Dec 31, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #36 of 399
DSCF0401.jpg

DSCF0402.jpg

Got my pair in today. I like the new box style alot. These headphones are maybe the lightest pair of full size cans i owned. The comfort is very good, pads are pleather but very comfortable, headphone "dissappears" very quickly when worn.

In the beginning the fit did bother as it seemed to suffer from the same problem as the W5000 did, but to a lesser extent. After wearing them for half an hour these problems were gone. The headphone will be a little loose but the pads are completely sealed around my ear. Initially you might feel the need to push the cups closer to your ears, don't! This will result in a boost around 100-300hz which might appeal at first, but overall the soundstage will suffer and the sound looses a good bit of transparency. The fit was tuned the way it is.

Technically this is an excellent headphone, it's smooth, has an extremly tight and well controlled bass, a very good holographic soundstage (w5000 like), has no obvious tonal flaws, is very detailed and has a fantastic transparency for a closed headphone. Also it is ALOT less troublesome with bad recordings as the W5000 was, i can basically listen to everything without fatigue, even treble boosted pop albums.

The tonality is "better" as it was on the W5000, i'd say it's pretty neutral with being a little bit on the warm side of things. The mids might have a small dip somewhere but atleast the lower and upper mids sound fine to me, not too thin and not too thick. Treble is no issue as i wrote earlier, but it also doesn't seem to be rolled off (hello dx1000), the a2000x sounds very airy, maybe a bit less than the W5000.

Also it's very easy to drive and sounds great out of portable devices. For maximum fidelity a powerful headphone amp is recommended. Through the benchmark DAC 1 headphone outs ,which are not that bad, it sounds a bit thin and lacks "weight" behind everything. Through the phonitor it sounds fuller and warmer besides some other improvements.

These are just my initial impressions. I'll post some ESW10 comparisons next year
wink.gif

Dec 31, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #37 of 399
I would like to know if the A2000X has a forward presentation. The thing I love most about the ESW10 is the forward presentation that gives vocals a very intimate feel. All this while maintaining a great level of instrumental separation and imagery.

Detailed, yet easy on the ears. Just what I'm looking for. I may have to opt for these instead of the D7000, for the time being.

I look forward to your comparison and thank you for sharing.

Dec 31, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #38 of 399
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like to know if the A2000X has a forward presentation. The thing I love most about the ESW10 is the forward presentation that gives vocals a very intimate feel. All this while maintaining a great level of instrumental separation and imagery.

Detailed, yet easy on the ears. Just what I'm looking for. I may have to opt for these instead of the D7000, for the time being.

I look forward to your comparison and thank you for sharing.

These 2 sound very different. The ESW10 sounds more forward and upfront, has a fuller but also more congested yet solid bass, is tuned warmer with a bit more mids and less treble and in direct comparison sounds more veiled as the a2000x.
The A2000x has a better stage obviously, alot more depth, more transparency, clarity and detail, sounds a good bit faster and tighter and in direct comparison has a bit less bass and mids.

However it's difficult to say if the A2000x lacks any mids. In direct comparison to my 600 Ohm DT770 the Beyerdynamic has a big hole in the mids which the AT doesn't have. Of these 3 headphones the A2000x has the closest to neutral tonality imho. Compared to my Klein+Hummel Speakers it still looses, but thats ok for a headphone
wink.gif

If you're looking for a full warm sound as some other AT woodies have, the A2000 won't deliver it. It's tuned for transparency and neutrality but still on the fun side of things.

I'm also predicting it won't give good impressions on meets, first you'll need some ammount of time to get used to the fit and adjust the headphone accordingly, secondly it's not bass heavy enough for loud meets. Combine these and you'll get impressions as from gu sensei (no offense
biggrin.gif
)

If you like intimate vocals the W5000 is the perfect headphone for that, however besides the vocals it has not much in common with the ESW10.

Dec 31, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #39 of 399
Do the A2000x have the love-hate ATH mids that AD2000 and W5000 seem to have?

edit: And btw thanks for the impressions
smily_headphones1.gif
Early adopters are very much appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #40 of 399
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do the A2000x have the love-hate ATH mids that AD2000 and W5000 seem to have?

edit: And btw thanks for the impressions
smily_headphones1.gif
Early adopters are very much appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Well that's a difficult question. The answer would be yes and no. It sounds like an AT but it neither has the mids of the AD2000 nor the W5000.

By the way it's also fantastic with classical music, alot better as the W5000 was. I'd say well done to the Engineers at Audio-Technica. This is definately an allrounder no matter what i throw at it.

Dec 31, 2008 at 4:02 PM Post #41 of 399
Quote:

By the way it's also fantastic with classical music, alot better as the W5000 was. I'd say well done to the Engineers at Audio-Technica. This is definately an allrounder no matter what i throw at it.

[size=small]Thanks. Those were my initial impressions.[/size]

[size=small]Greetings[/size]

Dec 31, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #43 of 399
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anouk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Bizkid, what at headphones do have a full, warm sound? I find the esw10jpn sounds a bit warmer then neutral and I quite like that.
Man, all the choices... a2000x w5000 ad2000.....
Greetings, Anouk,

L3000, W2002 (pad modded) and W11JPN. Not AD2000 and certainly not W5000 stock. The modded W5000 aka F5005 is another story though.

Dec 31, 2008 at 5:35 PM Post #44 of 399
Quote:

Man, all the choices... a2000x w5000 ad2000.....

[size=small]Anouk, don’t worry to much about those headphones. Phones in that league are all good.[/size]
[size=small]Sometimes I use my wife’s computer (she owns a better one) and I listen to music , using her rig.[/size]
[size=small]NAD CDP > MUSICAL FIDELITY V3 > AKG K701[/size]
[size=small]I enjoy the music and completely forgot, I am listening with phones I ever disapproved.[/size]
[size=small]Enjoy the music, not the phones![/size]

Dec 31, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #45 of 399
Damn, top-of-the-line, and they load it with pleather?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back