AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Nov 29, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #3,647 of 3,694
I have normal remote analog volume control in my system but too lazy to use it. Friend of a mine made volume control in his middleware software called PcmStreamer. It is actually kind of a AoIP software solution but for USB-sound cards. I use it for volume control and room correction purposes. You can use cheap basic USB-volume controller. Some keyboards have it also. Mouse works too.. it has been really safe to use, no sudden 100% increases.
Convolver is really transparent. There are many things to fiddle. Originally designed to use with Windows and Raspberry Pi/Odroid C2. Works fine with just Windows and ASIO-sound card like RedNet. Internal communication is this software is tcp/ip-based. New version for RPi4 coming up soon. Windows server/client version maybe in the future. www.pcmstreamer.com

I am thinking about modding my D16 AES. Does anyone make JST XH connectors with cables? What are the +5V ja GND pins in this connector?

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #3,648 of 3,694
anyone (else) tried the etherREGEN with Dante/Focusrite yet?
What's the difference with/without EtherRegen using direct connection method from PC to Rednet device?
I have JCat Ethernet Card on my PC that goes directly to Rednet D16. JCat (CCHD-957) and EtherRegen (CCHD-575) both use Crystek Femto clocks for phase noise. I doubt adding another device to my chain would improve anything.

Nov 29, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #3,649 of 3,694
I have normal remote analog volume control in my system but too lazy to use it. Friend of a mine made volume control in his middleware software called PcmStreamer. It is actually kind of a AoIP software solution but for USB-sound cards. I use it for volume control and room correction purposes. You can use cheap basic USB-volume controller. Some keyboards have it also. Mouse works too.. it has been really safe to use, no sudden 100% increases.
Convolver is really transparent. There are many things to fiddle. Originally designed to use with Windows and Raspberry Pi/Odroid C2. Works fine with just Windows and ASIO-sound card like RedNet. Internal communication is this software is tcp/ip-based. New version for RPi4 coming up soon. Windows server/client version maybe in the future. www.pcmstreamer.com

I am thinking about modding my D16 AES. Does anyone make JST XH connectors with cables? What are the +5V ja GND pins in this connector?
There should be plenty of pics and comments about this in this thread, just do a search and you should be able to find what you need. Take a look starting at page 183 in this thread.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #3,650 of 3,694
I have used +/- Cisco switch
PC > Cisco > ER > D16 AES
and
PC > ER > D16 AES
over
PC > D16 AES
I was a first batch etherREGEN recipient.
Definitely a sig. SQ delta - and I'd be very confident any of us would agree. General feeling that it is +ve and virtually all AS reviewers agree although their systems not RedNet.
Then firmware got altered since only 2 days ago. Major, major SQ change. Massive detail. Less wallop. Not all of us convinced it is "natural".
So watch this space.
ER generally quite a revelation - but imho we need to get to the bottom of the firmware impact on SQ.
If we don't I'm not sure I shall keep it.
But if you want to put an ear trumpet to your music give it a try.

Nov 29, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #3,651 of 3,694
I have used +/- Cisco switch
PC > Cisco > ER > D16 AES
and
PC > ER > D16 AES
over
PC > D16 AES
I was a first batch etherREGEN recipient.
Definitely a sig. SQ delta - and I'd be very confident any of us would agree. General feeling that it is +ve and virtually all AS reviewers agree although their systems not RedNet.
Then firmware got altered since only 2 days ago. Major, major SQ change. Massive detail. Less wallop. Not all of us convinced it is "natural".
So watch this space.
ER generally quite a revelation - but imho we need to get to the bottom of the firmware impact on SQ.
If we don't I'm not sure I shall keep it.
But if you want to put an ear trumpet to your music give it a try.
Sounds similar to the JCat Netcard.

Dec 4, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #3,652 of 3,694
anyone (else) tried the etherREGEN with Dante/Focusrite yet?
sorry I haven't, but I did get a tripplite ethernet isolator and that seemed to make things smoother...like timewise. Background is quieter. One day I will AB and get a better sense. It also would have solved a grounding issue with my cisco switch (which was fixed by switching to dlink) I bought another of the Tripplites for my other dac or to put on the audio computer.

Dec 23, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #3,653 of 3,694
Just got a new dac. Will be seeing how the Audinate AES box works with a dac compared to dante dac combos like the ESS Planet 22x and the Focusrite Am2. New dac will be the Stello D100mkii. Be interested to see if there is an advantage to an audiophile dac. Said another way are the Ultimo chips that good?

Jan 22, 2020 at 6:05 AM Post #3,654 of 3,694
Has anyone done a recent comparison of the state of art sonore optical rendu / uptone etherRegen against a Rednet solution? Recently my music server went wrong and has been out of action, so I switched back in my microrendu to simply stream hqplayer from a laptop. A very full and wonderful sound that surprised me. Perhaps the key difference from my comparison years ago when I first aquired the rednet was that I now have a Paul Hynes 9v psu to power the microrendu (at first I ran it of the ifi psu and it was VERY flat compared to rednet).

Feb 14, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #3,655 of 3,694
How does this compare to audio-gd's new Digital Interface, DI-20HE

Feb 20, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #3,656 of 3,694
Has anyone done a recent comparison of the state of art sonore optical rendu / uptone etherRegen against a Rednet solution? Recently my music server went wrong and has been out of action, so I switched back in my microrendu to simply stream hqplayer from a laptop. A very full and wonderful sound that surprised me. Perhaps the key difference from my comparison years ago when I first aquired the rednet was that I now have a Paul Hynes 9v psu to power the microrendu (at first I ran it of the ifi psu and it was VERY flat compared to rednet).
For me one of the huge advantages of the dante solution is that those products seem to be less finicky about the power. At least I couldnt hear any benefit of an improved linear vs. PoE.

Feb 21, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #3,657 of 3,694
For me one of the huge advantages of the dante solution is that those products seem to be less finicky about the power. At least I couldnt hear any benefit of an improved linear vs. PoE.

The linear PS and Uptone fan controller for my Mac Mini had a bigger impact than the linear PS for the Atterotech unDAES-O. Acopian Gold Box PS in both cases.

Feb 21, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #3,658 of 3,694
Computer power supplies are 'beefy' and do create more noise than a simple wall wart, not to mention the noise the computer itself generates.
But when you have several wall warts, each contributing it's own noise, this can all add up.

Case in point, in my system I replaced 5 SMPS's with LPS's for my AOIP system, and when I go for max SQ, I shut down 3 more (modem, router, screen), and this last step is easily discernible, especially late at night when the house is quiet and still.

JJ

Feb 21, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #3,659 of 3,694
Hello, i came across this thread searching info about DANTE and Clocking and i wanted to report my experience....
I am a HTPC user from the beginning of my HT-HIFI experience, starting in early 2000's and i have made numerous setup during these years, using pro gears and Room correction (Dennis Sbragion 's free DRC) Lynx AES16 PCi, Lucid coverters etc
Obiouvsly I wanted to try DANTE as soon as i "discovered" it, and at the same time, i started to build my own multiway multiamplified High Efficency speaker system using AUDIOLENSE XOVER digital crossover and room correction
So i replaced Lynx aes 16 with a REDNET PCI card and a 16 channels REDNET2, connected to a Cisco router, and analogic preamplifier as volume control
Well, results were promising but under my expectatives, too much noise using very high efficency horns and drivers and a sound quality not properly "Hi-end"
So i removed DAC, preamplifier and switched to DANTE amplifiers, Yamaha XMV...better but still something missing, depht and details
I started to investigate the clocking aspect, i let the network decide the best clock, and never heard differences between the different clocks i had on the network
Then, i had an occasion to buy at a very low price a used YAMAHA DME64N processor eqipped with two analog out cards and two AES cards, i purchased also two Yamaha My16AUD2 cards, so that i have a swiss knife for audio conversion, this makes me able to choose which format to use, AES, DANTE, giving the possibility to use external aes DAC or the Yamaha DME as a DAC feeding it via AES or DANTE, and control the volume

But the best part come when i tried to force the my16aud2 card to sync to the internal DME clock, and thus to become the DANTE MASTER

I was very surprised by the result, a day and night change from all the previous setup, so i decided to try also an external clock, namely a MUTEC MC3+, to drive the YAMAHA DME, and i also removed switch by daisy chaining all the gears, connecting the pci card directly to the DME with a lan to optic fiber adapter

Now i am very pleased by the result and looking forward to a 10M reference clock!

My advice to whom are using DANTE is to not rely on onboard clocks but to try a device with external sync possibilities, in my case was the best upgrade, i finally have an "audiophile" sound, despite all the readings about uselessness of an external clocks in a DANTE environment

HTPC and DME have Linear power supplies, PC is win10 optimized by Fidelizer Pro and i9 processor, Roon and Jriver as players and Audiolense 6.2 new extraordinary convolver to apply crossovers and room eq 64 bit filters

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #3,660 of 3,694
Hello, i came across this thread searching info about DANTE and Clocking and i wanted to report my experience....
I am a HTPC user from the beginning of my HT-HIFI experience, starting in early 2000's and i have made numerous setup during these years, using pro gears and Room correction (Dennis Sbragion 's free DRC) Lynx AES16 PCi, Lucid coverters etc
Obiouvsly I wanted to try DANTE as soon as i "discovered" it, and at the same time, i started to build my own multiway multiamplified High Efficency speaker system using AUDIOLENSE XOVER digital crossover and room correction
So i replaced Lynx aes 16 with a REDNET PCI card and a 16 channels REDNET2, connected to a Cisco router, and analogic preamplifier as volume control
Well, results were promising but under my expectatives, too much noise using very high efficency horns and drivers and a sound quality not properly "Hi-end"
So i removed DAC, preamplifier and switched to DANTE amplifiers, Yamaha XMV...better but still something missing, depht and details
I started to investigate the clocking aspect, i let the network decide the best clock, and never heard differences between the different clocks i had on the network
Then, i had an occasion to buy at a very low price a used YAMAHA DME64N processor eqipped with two analog out cards and two AES cards, i purchased also two Yamaha My16AUD2 cards, so that i have a swiss knife for audio conversion, this makes me able to choose which format to use, AES, DANTE, giving the possibility to use external aes DAC or the Yamaha DME as a DAC feeding it via AES or DANTE, and control the volume

But the best part come when i tried to force the my16aud2 card to sync to the internal DME clock, and thus to become the DANTE MASTER

I was very surprised by the result, a day and night change from all the previous setup, so i decided to try also an external clock, namely a MUTEC MC3+, to drive the YAMAHA DME, and i also removed switch by daisy chaining all the gears, connecting the pci card directly to the DME with a lan to optic fiber adapter

Now i am very pleased by the result and looking forward to a 10M reference clock!

My advice to whom are using DANTE is to not rely on onboard clocks but to try a device with external sync possibilities, in my case was the best upgrade, i finally have an "audiophile" sound, despite all the readings about uselessness of an external clocks in a DANTE environment

HTPC and DME have Linear power supplies, PC is win10 optimized by Fidelizer Pro and i9 processor, Roon and Jriver as players and Audiolense 6.2 new extraordinary convolver to apply crossovers and room eq 64 bit filters
I think I get this and thanks for sharing, but some is unclear. I have 3 external dante devices. 1 is a dac with preamp and headpone amp. One is the same but with 2 line ins. One is a dante to AES adaptor. Are you saying to use one of those as the master? Or are you saying to get another device that has the option to add a master clock to it and use a dedicated clock seperate clock??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back