AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Apr 13, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #3,632 of 3,694
Sorry to hear about Rob. He was certainly passionate and contributed much to our shared knowledge of the various ways to attain audio bliss.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2019 at 10:39 PM Post #3,633 of 3,694
Tried one of those iFi psus on my am2. I didnt like it . Kept going back to the POE. Weird but it just sounded slow with the iFi and bloated. The bass was off. Maybe others would have liked that bass but I didnt....

Will try it on the pc next.

Oct 20, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #3,635 of 3,694
Glad to hear that. I wonder what took them so long.

I eventually sold off my Rednet gear in favor of using Audiolinux in ramroot with Roon. It took a long time for me to tweak it to the point that it sounded better than RedNet. I hated to sell off my D16 but I just got tired of it losing connectivity.

Oct 21, 2019 at 4:58 AM Post #3,636 of 3,694
Glad to hear that. I wonder what took them so long.

I eventually sold off my Rednet gear in favor of using Audiolinux in ramroot with Roon. It took a long time for me to tweak it to the point that it sounded better than RedNet. I hated to sell off my D16 but I just got tired of it losing connectivity.
Never tempted to come back? Looking forward to hearing what an EtherREGEN can do for direct playback flac on PC > EtherREGEN > DAC!

Oct 21, 2019 at 6:18 AM Post #3,637 of 3,694
My DAC change promted me to go direct from music server > DAC via USB. I tested it at length and in my setup now, USB done right surpasses Rednet.

I think it is system dependent, and dependent on how good the server used is as well. If house is controlled in the server and it has excellent OCXO clocking and LPS then the noise is not there from the source, as opposed to fixing it in the next stage.

I still use my Rednet in my second system though, as that has my Mac Mini as a music server with it's own noise issues.

Oct 21, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #3,638 of 3,694
Oct 25, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #3,640 of 3,694
Never tempted to come back? Looking forward to hearing what an EtherREGEN can do for direct playback flac on PC > EtherREGEN > DAC!

Not currently tempted but I usually get restless so it could happen :)

The EtherREGEN sounds interesting. It certainly had a long buildup to its release. I will start looking for some feedback from early adopters.

Currently my Roon server has a direct bridged connection using a JCAT ethernet card to my Roon endpoint and the second port goes via optical FMCs to a regular switch for network/Internet access. This is my speaker setup. My HP setup is much simpler and less isolated.

Oct 25, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #3,641 of 3,694
I never seemed to have ANY bugs with the old version. I did the new version and nothing is different. Maybe its just the simple implementation I have...just one product .

Possibly your AM2 was less susceptible than an R3 or D16?

I did not have any issues until I hit one of the later updates. It was odd but remarkably predictable. Usually it would work fine for about 18 to 24 hours and then I would need to reboot the D16 and the server. It sounded wonderful but eventually I got tired of the reboot routine.

Water under the bridge!

Nov 29, 2019 at 1:01 AM Post #3,642 of 3,694
Crazy question. There are lots of dante amps and speakers and subs. And none seem to have volume control. There are boxes with analog outs. How is the volume controlled? I see nothing in Dante Controller to set volume.

Thanks,

Nov 29, 2019 at 2:34 AM Post #3,643 of 3,694
Dante is specifically an ethernet protocol so a volume control isn't really something it concerns itself with.

But the devices that use Dante can have a volume control, either the player in front of the dante network or the digital or analog devices on the downside of the network can have a volume control built into them.

JJ

Nov 29, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #3,644 of 3,694
Dante is specifically an ethernet protocol so a volume control isn't really something it concerns itself with.

But the devices that use Dante can have a volume control, either the player in front of the dante network or the digital or analog devices on the downside of the network can have a volume control built into them.

JJ
I get that but there are dante products that have no vc that I can see. here is an example:

https://www.crownaudio.com/en/products/dci-8-600da

Maybe they are software controlled or something and Dante is just an input.

Nov 29, 2019 at 3:59 AM Post #3,645 of 3,694
snip
Maybe they are software controlled or something and Dante is just an input.
Yes exactly.
That device is dante 'enabled', but is a crown amp that can be controlled via the dante network.

Dante is a software company that developed a specialized network based audio transport system.
It operates devices on the network but it, by itself, has almost no 'control' except to allow devices to talk together and do so quickly.
In essence it's an intelligent programmable audio snake that operates using an ethernet backbone instead of many many balanced pairs of wires +.

JJ

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back