AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Feb 22, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #3,661 of 3,694
My suggestion is to have at least one Dante device with a word clock input, so that when externally controlled by a reference clock, it becomes DANTE MASTER CLOCK
It is a feature contained in the Dante controller....if you have more than one Dante device and if you not select any preferred master clock, the network itself chooses the best clock present by an algorithm, otherwise if you have a device that can have external reference, by default it is set as preferred master if you check "sync to external" box
The fact is that IMHO clocks onboard Dante devices are good ones, (I tried focusrite and Yamaha devices) but not as much as in dedicated clocks, or even in good grade (not Dante) gear...the Yamaha DME is a 8000$ (without cards) mixer processor that can be quite easily found used for 800-1000$ and with a Dante card becomes future proof

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #3,662 of 3,694
My suggestion is to have at least one Dante device with a word clock input, so that when externally controlled by a reference clock, it becomes DANTE MASTER CLOCK
It is a feature contained in the Dante controller....if you have more than one Dante device and if you not select any preferred master clock, the network itself chooses the best clock present by an algorithm, otherwise if you have a device that can have external reference, by default it is set as preferred master if you check "sync to external" box
The fact is that IMHO clocks onboard Dante devices are good ones, (I tried focusrite and Yamaha devices) but not as much as in dedicated clocks, or even in good grade (not Dante) gear...the Yamaha DME is a 8000$ (without cards) mixer processor that can be quite easily found used for 800-1000$ and with a Dante card becomes future proof

https://pro.focusrite.com/category/audiooverip/item/isa-adn2

https://www.rme-audio.de/digiface-dante.html

here some examples of Dante gear that accepts a Word clock input

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 2:03 AM Post #3,663 of 3,694
In my setup, I use the clock in my DAC (Dangerous Convert-2) as the external clock source for a Rednet D16 via BNC cable, then set the D16 as the master clock for the Dante network. The D16 feeds the Convert-2 via AES. The Focusrite clocks are very good. That said, I did quite a bit of testing/comparison when I first got into the Dante setup and found a subtle but noticeable improvement using the Convert-2's clock. I also have a Rednet 3 on the network feeding a RME ADI-2 DAC on another system.

Feb 23, 2020 at 5:32 AM Post #3,664 of 3,694
In my setup, I use the clock in my DAC (Dangerous Convert-2) as the external clock source for a Rednet D16 via BNC cable, then set the D16 as the master clock for the Dante network. The D16 feeds the Convert-2 via AES. The Focusrite clocks are very good. That said, I did quite a bit of testing/comparison when I first got into the Dante setup and found a subtle but noticeable improvement using the Convert-2's clock. I also have a Rednet 3 on the network feeding a RME ADI-2 DAC on another system.

I Agree that Focusrite has good clock, but if is possible I suggest to try a Mutec with a 10M reference clock, it is a big big improvement

Feb 23, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #3,665 of 3,694
I Agree that Focusrite has good clock, but if is possible I suggest to try a Mutec with a 10M reference clock, it is a big big improvement

I may give the Mutec a try at some point... I had read through a test on the Convert-2 where they tried it with several outboard clocks and none made an improvement over the already excellent built-in clock, so I've been telling my wallet that I can put money into other parts of the system for now. Hahaha

Feb 24, 2020 at 4:43 AM Post #3,666 of 3,694
In my setup I'm running the Antelope LIVE Clock word clock.
And if I were to get a REAL wild-hair (and NEED to spend another 1K$+) I'd opt for a master clock to drive the LIVE word clock, which in turn feeds the 2 Mutec MC3's and the RedNet 3.

This word clock addition to the system was a slight improvement in overall SQ, enough so I kept the LIVE clock, but not as much as replacing the SMPS's in all 5 devices in the AOIP chain.

It does mean that changing the sample rate adds yet another step in the process.
Fortunately, I use the sample rate converter in JRiver so that all files output at 88.2KB/s, which precludes needing to fuss with the different sample rates of all the files in my library.

JJ

Feb 24, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #3,667 of 3,694
Ok If I understand this, I would need the digiface and a clock to add to my system. The focusrite link you gave seems to be an add on card and not a stand alone product.

Is there anything less expensive than the digiface? And which clock?

Also on the digiface there is a headphone out but how do you control the volume?

Apr 5, 2020 at 12:50 AM Post #3,668 of 3,694
Hey guys I need help.

I can't get the SPDIF RCA output working with my Yggdrasil A2.

I know the A1 versions of the DAC, Schiit had used 50ohm BNC connectors but all this was fixed during the A1 lifecycle into A2.

So here's my setup:

RedNet D16 -> XLR output -> Dangerous Music Convert-2
Dangerous Music Convert-2 "Word Clock Out" with BNC 75ohm cable-> RedNet D16 "Word Clock In"

I'm using the Convert-2 as an external Word Clock for the D16.

But I also have a RCA coaxial cable 75ohm hooked up.

RedNet D16 -> SPDIF RCA output -> Yggdrasil coaxial SPDIF input

I get no audio from the Yggdrasil. I haven't unplugged anything from the Convert-2/D16.

I thought the SPDIF coax out, per the manual, will replicate the adjacent channels to output on channels 3-4. But when I do this I still get no audio. The only audio that's output is from channel 1-2, which is the AES output to Convert-2 and that plays audio.

Any ideas here? I reached out to Focusrite support and this is what they replied with:

"
You should be able to use the SPDIF and AES at the same time, you will just lose the two channels the SPDIF connection is taking. On the input, SPDIF is selectable as 3-4 (which will replace the DB25 channel 3-4). [The AES XLR input will replace DB25 channel 1-2]

On the output you can select any odd-even signal pair (for example, replacing outputs 3–4 or 11–12 of the DB25 connection). "

Still not sure what to do here. Attached a screenshot of my current setup:

https://i.imgur.com/8j4BND4.png

Attachments

• spdif2.png
    spdif2.png
    128.1 KB · Views: 0
Apr 5, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #3,669 of 3,694
Ok, I believe I know root cause for the issue. I have support screenshots if anyone is interested in seeing them. Data obtained using RME DigiCheck Channel Status monitor.

Summary:

Yggdrasil will work with all SPDIF devices I have tested, professional and consumer modes,
except Rednet D16 which is professional mode only.

All SPDIF devices I have test have the SCMS flag in the control word set for "Copy permitted"
except Rednet D16 which has the SCMS flag set for "Copy Prohibited".

The MC-3+ ignores the SCMS flag from input and sends SCMS set to "Copy permitted" on output.

Yggdrasil honors the SCMS flag and won't accept the input SPDIF data stream when set to "Copy prohibited".

List of tested devices so far:
Lavry AD11 pro-audio A/D converter
RME Fireface UC pro-audio interface
Gustard U12 consumer DDC
Mutec MC-3+ reclocker
Rednet D16 pro-audio Dante EN to Digital Audio transport

Final thoughts: Focusrite should not be setting the SCMS flag to Copy Prohibited for a pro-audio device.

Just found this post, does this explain the issues I'm having?

Apr 5, 2020 at 4:11 AM Post #3,670 of 3,694
Have you 'enabled' the music stream output to channels 3-4 in Dante controller (it doesn't look like it in your picture)?

JJ

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #3,671 of 3,694
Yeah I toggled that too, still didn't work.

I think its the Yggdrasil guys. I hooked up the SPDIF coax to another DAC and my AV recevier...and the audio works. I did try using the BNC connection on the back of the Yggdrasil but that didn't work either. (I have a 75ohm coax cable with BNC connector on one end and RCA on the other)

So it looks like atomicbob's original post still stands and Focusrite hasn't updated the firmware since. I will contact Focusrite again.

Apr 5, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #3,672 of 3,694
At this point I'd have to agree.
And I am using that same setup with my RN-3 to feed 2 dacs, the JggyB via AES and a Jolida Dac via SPDIF.

The SPDIF outputs were 'hot' and no changes to the s/w setup was required when I started to use it this way.

JJ

Apr 6, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #3,673 of 3,694
We ran across this same issue with the YGGY, now I forget what solution we came up with way back when (this was back in 2016). I do know that to get it to work with @gefski 's Yggy we had to pass-through my Matrix Mini-i which had SPDIF coax out. I do know he eventually found the right transport for LAN bridge.

Apr 6, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #3,674 of 3,694
We ran across this same issue with the YGGY, now I forget what solution we came up with way back when (this was back in 2016). I do know that to get it to work with @gefski 's Yggy we had to pass-through my Matrix Mini-i which had SPDIF coax out. I do know he eventually found the right transport for LAN bridge.

Yep, that was the Bellingham meet, my first “ears on” Dante. That freed me from the years shackled to USB chains, outboard boxes, de-crapifiers, etc. @atomicbob did a bunch of work, figured out the SPDIF problem, and posted his info, which @Alexnova referenced above. After that meet, I set my sights on the unDAES-O interface, AES to Yggy, where I remain through my 2nd Yggy.

Sorry for the aside, which doesn’t help solve the problem. It’s just rare in this hobby to really be happy with anything for years!

Apr 7, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #3,675 of 3,694
Just received this response from a Focusrite tech support engineer:

"I've spoken to our development team about this. Our team are aware of the issue and are looking to develop a fix.

As soon as we have a fix we'll send it over to you ahead of any scheduled releases. At present, our next scheduled release will be early summer but maybe sooner.

If you have any questions in the meantime, please do let us know. "

Now if there can be a workaround in the meantime that would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back