AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Feb 11, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #3,601 of 3,694
No worries guys - I just summited, using that ever reliable method of clicking anything and everything :laughing:
So in my quest to summit the Everest that is AIOP / Dante software having traversed the dangerous crevices of the ice flow I'm now stuck at camp 1 :frowning2:

As recommended I've installed the Dante Virtual Soundcard so I can use my favourite music software player. And quite by chance and persistence I've managed to get Dante Controller to recognise my Dante enabled device. It seems the issue was I have two wired ethernet ports on my Apple G5 tower and turning off the unused port was imperative, (and also the WIFI).

My next issue it seems may be one of subscription - I need a green tick to create a subscription?

But I have this warning sign which appears as soon as the device is recognised:

screenshot_302.jpg

This is the explanation for this error icon from the Dante controller manual:

WARNING: The subscription is unresolved, typically because the transmitting device is not visible on the network (for example, because it has been removed, or switched off)

Can anyone give me a few pointers?

Much appreciated. P

Glad you got it going! I think I had a similar issue at first when clicking in the boxes would amount to nothing. The training vids make it look soo easy but it wasnt. IIRC I had set the Dante device to 96khz. But all my source material was 44.1 so it wouldnt subscribe. Switching it back to 44.1 IIRC got it to go green. But that is a bit of a different issue than you show. I HAVE had that when I disabled some of windows services. It would not subscribe, but lol it worked fine. Zero difference between normal operation except for the yellow triangles. Which shows the robustness. Even when it shouldnt be working it was. Turning on the offending service brought the green check box back.

Feb 12, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #3,602 of 3,694
Glad you got it going! I think I had a similar issue at first when clicking in the boxes would amount to nothing. The training vids make it look soo easy but it wasnt. IIRC I had set the Dante device to 96khz. But all my source material was 44.1 so it wouldnt subscribe. Switching it back to 44.1 IIRC got it to go green. But that is a bit of a different issue than you show. I HAVE had that when I disabled some of windows services. It would not subscribe, but lol it worked fine. Zero difference between normal operation except for the yellow triangles. Which shows the robustness. Even when it shouldnt be working it was. Turning on the offending service brought the green check box back.

Thanks! It sounds really good. Next up is experimenting with POE - bits already ordered from ebay - and I'll look into the link you posted regarding computer optimisation. I also need to take a proper look at the Dante settings.

Has anyone tried using Dante Via instead of Virtual Soundcard?

Feb 12, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #3,603 of 3,694
Thanks! It sounds really good. Next up is experimenting with POE - bits already ordered from ebay - and I'll look into the link you posted regarding computer optimisation. I also need to take a proper look at the Dante settings.

Has anyone tried using Dante Via instead of Virtual Soundcard?
You know I looked at Via and take this with a grain of salt because I found the descriptions a bit confusing but it seemed to me that the difference is that DVS would function locally on one machine. Ie the software on the local machine that plays the tunes would send sound to DVS like an installed sound card. But VIA would allow a computer to function as a Dante Device. So you could send sound accrossed the network to a computer running Via ( and get sound out of it from connected devices like usb), whereas you couldnt send sound from one computer to another if the 2nd computer just had DVS. So for me VIA didnt make sense because I just have one device and one computer that plays the tunes. But if I wanted to have a 2nd room that might make sense.

If I am misunderstanding the differences please correct me.

Mar 9, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #3,605 of 3,694
I am trying to setup dante and no matter what I do the clock for my computer and the aeterotech is unsyncable. Any suggestions?
Sorry man I cant be of much help.

I think i had an issue with the clock. Not sure if its what you are having but other audio i had you can say your dac does UP TO say 96k. And 44.1 or 88k signals would work. Iirc i set my dante device to 96k and the computer was always sending 44.1. So it never synched. Changed Dante to 44.1 and it worked.

Or this:
https://www.atterotech.com/resources/faq

Mar 10, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #3,606 of 3,694
Which device is 'master'?

JJ

Mar 10, 2019 at 1:15 AM Post #3,607 of 3,694
I am trying to setup dante and no matter what I do the clock for my computer and the aeterotech is unsyncable. Any suggestions?

Yep, @Dawnrazor's comment is a common mistake; I've done that too.

This is the first of the short Dante videos that helped me. First one is basically a sales pitch, but there are eight, covering basic LAN setup, clocks, etc.

I'm assuming the basic physical hookup is correctly done -- DVS and Controller loaded on computer, Ethernet cable from computer to unDAES-O (uDO), AES to DAC. DVS settings entered and DVS start. Then you won't have to return to DVS; it just stays on unless you stop it. Dante Controller is where you do the settings.

Looking at my Dante Controller, uDO is Master CLock. IMac device config is set at 44.1. uDO device config is set at 44.1.

In the iMac AudioMidi, output is DVS, set at 44.1. In sound preferences output is to DVS.

In my Audirvana+ preferences-audio system, preferred audio device is DVS, at 44.1.

On uDO, first two lights are solid green, Sync light is flashing green, Rate light is off for 44.1 (and would have other colors for other rates).

Not being computer creative, those videos, screen shots of settings, etc. was a big help for me.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #3,609 of 3,694
Is anyone powering their dante devices via POE? I'm currently using a 2 port block for the injector and a standard splitter at the other end in to my device. I'm trying to get my head round the third iteration of this POE where an 8 port block is used to increase the number of wires used to power the device - often referred to as a dual CAT. Has anyone achieved this or got a simple explanation for a numpty like me? ☺

Mar 13, 2019 at 3:29 AM Post #3,610 of 3,694
Sounds like you have been following ROB's thread on USAudiomart forum.
I have implemented the POE in most of my rig for quite sometime and also in the Convert-2 Dac that I recently just tweaked and modded to replace the internal SMPS with low noise regulators and can be powered by Lps or Li-Ion batteries. All I can say is I definitely like what I am hearing.

Mar 13, 2019 at 6:15 AM Post #3,611 of 3,694
I have implemented the POE in most of my rig for quite sometime and also in the Convert-2 Dac that I recently just tweaked and modded to replace the internal SMPS with low noise regulators and can be powered by Lps or Li-Ion batteries. All I can say is I definitely like what I am hearing.

Yes I agree, its really quite a revelation.

Is Rob his name? Yeah I've been following a thread on US Audio Mart. Not read it all the way through though, probably should. I can only assume he's dispensed of the splitter at the device end and replaced it with an injector block which enables you to feed the D.C. separately to the audio signal.

Mar 13, 2019 at 6:43 AM Post #3,612 of 3,694
I haven't modded my D16 AES - nor my Convert-2. This is a provocation! :)
The RedNet mods were pioneered some time ago. Have things changed much. Can you guys provide an overview of what you would do if you were modding one now. Is the conversion blog created by @johnjen way back a sota summary. (I notice the D16 AES is out of production and the D16R its replacement has 2 SMPSs of course.)
@Muziqboy I'm loathe to break into a mint 2.5k Convert-2. Is it worth it? If I depreciate its value significantly? Has @mhamel modded his C-2. Would he feel strongly either way about that.
Could I get up to speed with PoE trawling Bob's USAM threads.
@Muziqboy what do you make of NUC. Is your use of NUC in any way inspired by the "novel way" CA thread. We can't use Audiolinux right. I love fb2k. Is JPLAY worth a trial for SQ alone.
I don't have 1 or more Mutec reclockers. Is modding these straightforward. Are the SQ gains significant. btw I built a DIY AES cable with Dueland silver ribbon see here: https://www.usaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1465&start=465#p11805. The gain was truly massive. I'd have to build 2 identical ones a bit longer if I have a reclocker between D16 and C-2. The REF 10 is out of reach for me right now. Do you think the USB MC-3+ USB will be superseded any time soon.
(Is @astrostar59 still on the block or moved on to finer things.)
Sorry about all the "conversation gambits". It's great to see folks still dedicated to RedNet as I am. Wondering how things have gone and where they might go.
atb

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2019 at 6:51 AM Post #3,613 of 3,694
[QUOTE="
(Is @astrostar59 still on the block or moved on to finer things.)
Sorry about all the "conversation gambits". It's great to see folks still dedicated to RedNet as I am. Wondering how things have gone and where they might go.
atb[/QUOTE]
I am out of the Rednet circle now, as my DAC has changed and I now get better sound via USB. IMO this is DAC dependent and server dependent. The Rednet is good, but there is some grain and loss of dynamics v my USB direct route. I put this down to more parts / processing in the signal path, the cheap clock in the Rednet, and the fact SPDIF or AES is an old and probably weaker connection for digital audio than USB (done right). Also of course, those connections are limited to 192 files as well. There is something done to the signal to get into a DAC via AES or SPDIF, and the effect of that can IMO affect / reduce the sound.

My advice is look at your DAC before you spend 2.5K on a convertor / connection interface. Go for a good NOS DAC with good USB board in it, then you can get beyond the delta-sigma type sound which IMO is more limiting tun the connection interface sonically.

Good luck!

Mar 13, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #3,614 of 3,694
I am out of the Rednet circle now, as my DAC has changed and I now get better sound via USB. IMO this is DAC dependent and server dependent. The Rednet is good, but there is some grain and loss of dynamics v my USB direct route. I put this down to more parts / processing in the signal path, the cheap clock in the Rednet, and the fact SPDIF or AES is an old and probably weaker connection for digital audio than USB (done right). Also of course, those connections are limited to 192 files as well. There is something done to the signal to get into a DAC via AES or SPDIF, and the effect of that can IMO affect / reduce the sound.

Interesting. What's your new/old dac?

I've compared the rednet setup with the usb input on my previous Vitus rd100 and on my current Totaldac d1-dual and rednet was always much better.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #3,615 of 3,694
I have the Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref II. It sounds best on USB with it's double clocks. TotalDAC seem to favour AES, as their server has no USB or Ethernet I believe?

The server you use depends on how USB performs IMO. If it is noisy, then ethernet can provide some isolation from that, albeit IMO a loss as it goes through yet more circuits and conversions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back