AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
May 18, 2018 at 5:15 AM Post #3,496 of 3,694
It took a bit of fussing to get the Wyrd to equal the PSA ethernet feed.
And that feed was very limited by the JRivers player and its inability to use DSP.
There are many 'tricks' that can be applied in DSP which all add together for a distinct advantage in being able to apply DSP in the chain.
So once the data feed was equal in SQ then the rest of the DSP tweaks were dialed in.

I'm feeding my dac with aes from my RN-3 thru 2) Mutec 3's, with all of the SMPS's removed and several other tweaks added as well.
And right now I'm back using the PWD with that same feed and it is 'better' than the Eitr which is a spdif feed to the dac, which is also a major step up from the dual Wyrd setup that I was using prior to my current AOIP feed.
And I agree that the 'stock' USB input on my PWD is WAY behind, which is why I was using the ethernet feed to begin with.

But these implementations of AOIP are simply 'better' than anything else I have heard.
But there are potentially other digital audio transfer protocols that could surpass this, but we're talking a long way off.

JJ

May 18, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #3,497 of 3,694
I am working on it. It is going to take me a bit. I will not be surprised if it sounds better than anything ahead of the USB input. I am familiar with it in the studio as it is used often. Once again something good has been borrowed from the pro side. Luckily for others I think there is a fairly inexpensive Rednet setup. I was never happy with USB on anything. Same reason I used Ethernet as you. I never tried Audio over IP but am about too. Should hopefully be running by like 4am lol. I guess one good thing about being retired.

May 30, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #3,501 of 3,694
The correct link is https://www.audinate.com/products/devices/dante-avio#aes3

Looks like a cheap way of using Dante with my bedroom hifi dac which has an aes input

That's the same page, just linked to the AES3 adapter directly instead of the overall page... I sent the main page in case anyone wanted to see the other adapters or wasn't familiar with the AVIO product.

It will be interesting to see how these compare with the larger interface boxes.

May 30, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #3,502 of 3,694
The AVIO devices (other than the USB product, which is limited to 48khz only btw) require POE-- so that means using a POE injector or other POE power source. I'll defer to others here who might be in a position to comment on the quality of POE injector power, which I think, 802.3af means 48V.

May 31, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #3,503 of 3,694
USB has come a long ways and it was only when the Wyrd came out that USB approached and surpassed the PSA ethernet approach with the PWD, at least in my system.
And USB is even better now with Gen-5 in either flavor, and is good enough to act as a secondary digital audio path, but still when a tweaked AOIP system settles in, well the USB feed simply doesn't get used all that much after that.
Gen-5 is actually very good,
but still did not supass the Spdiff input using a DXIO Pro3Z, when I owned a yggy.
So USB still not as good as other input methods in my experience.

Jun 25, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #3,504 of 3,694
Since we're heading to the lake for a few weeks, I'm 24/7 USB Gen 5 for this last week with Yggy-B. Must say it sounds very good, better than my previous outboard USB solutions "most of the time". However, I bump into periods of time or days when it seems too bloomy & less alive.

On the other hand, once Yggy-B was ripened, file delivery via Dante/uDO/Ethernet seemed to be UNCHANGING; vitality and touch, every album a new thrill every time, any hour. Not unlike my experience with Yggy-A since 2016.

This is just an off the cuff comment in my system, not a controlled comparison at all, so disregard if it seems unlikely.

Jul 31, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #3,505 of 3,694
The correct link is https://www.audinate.com/products/devices/dante-avio#aes3

Looks like a cheap way of using Dante with my bedroom hifi dac which has an aes input

Ok i have been reading this thread alot, so as i understand this is a digital input for a Aes3 compatible dac? So i can use it as a digital out from the pc and int to the dac, but i need a poe device that can provide it power? Because the pc ethernet port does not do that right? or the consumer router etc.
So what kind of poe insert device do you guys recomend for this one?

It looks like a cheaper alternative to the rednet devices just for sending the digital signal to a dac, but maybe there is a quaity difference on the sound. But this is so heap compared to the other stuff that i am gona try it. But need some advice on how to power it etc.

Jul 31, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #3,506 of 3,694
And i am also looking at the MUTEC MC-3+without usb, but is the only difference here that the Usb version has the Usb input and the rest of the dvices are similiar? And is it possible to send the AES3 signal into the Mutec and put out as a Toslink or Coaxial signal and not the same signal as in AES3 in And Aes3 out.?

Jul 31, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #3,508 of 3,694
And i am also looking at the MUTEC MC-3+without usb, but is the only difference here that the Usb version has the Usb input and the rest of the dvices are similiar? And is it possible to send the AES3 signal into the Mutec and put out as a Toslink or Coaxial signal and not the same signal as in AES3 in And Aes3 out.?

My understanding is that the M3USB has other changes that increase the sound quality over the MC-3+. The difference is not just a USB input card.

Jul 31, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #3,509 of 3,694
My understanding is that the M3USB has other changes that increase the sound quality over the MC-3+. The difference is not just a USB input card.

Yes i see that now, the usb version is a more updatet version and has a new and improved Sq. So i think i can go for the Usb version its better overall even if it is a little more.

Jul 31, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #3,510 of 3,694
I have one of each (3+ and 3+usb) and the usb version has additional functionality and reportedly 'better' word clock accuracy.
And if I understand your question correctly it will receive any form of input but that is the signal that is sent out the outputs (aes, spdif).

JJ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back