AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Apr 18, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #3,481 of 3,694
Hello,
I've seen this thread since a while, but I found the Dante devices a bit pricey and did not go that way. And I admit I didn't understand everything about Dante.

The news from Arrakis, with a Dante device less pricey, with AES3 output seems interesting.
Coudl you please answer these basic questions :
- the Arrakis Simple-IP-D is an interface between a computer and a DAC (with AES input) ?
- the Simple-IP-D acts like a combo sotm-SMS200 + the USB>spdif interface SU-1 (for instance) that use UPNP protocol ? A Simple-IP-D sounds better than a SMS200+SU-1 or not ?
- using Dante device, we can stream all the sounds of the computer to the hifi setup ? without latency (unlike the UPNP protocol) ?
- On my PC, I use EqualizerAPO, that enable active correction through convolution. Can I keep using my active correction if I stream the PC sounds to a device like the Simple-IP-D thru Dante protocol ?

Thanks in advance for your reply
Rgds

Basically, yes to all your questions with the exception of the convolution (I have no experience with it). Maybe someone else might use convolution with Dante that could reply.
My advise is to wait until JayNYC receives his, and see if he posts anything about it (or send him a PM).

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #3,483 of 3,694
...and Arrakis just replied
Code:
"We do not use the +/-12vdc on the IP8D.  We use the standard 3 rail supply across several product lines rather than having a bunch of different supplies."

I think I can breathe a huuuuge sigh of relief right now.... if I understand this correctly, it means I now have a green light to go shopping for an LPS, right? <rubs hands together>

@johnjen and @Golfnutz I think you suggested I'm looking for an LPS which outputs 5V @ >=3A?
Yes all you need is a single output ps with +5vdc and at least 2.5amp capacity.

You will need a custom cable made that uses the DIN 5 pin connector (into the IP-8D) and what ever the +5vdc ps uses on it's end.
This cable shouldn't be difficult to make but it isn't a 'standard' cable, so finding one pre-made would be difficult.
You (or someone who) can make such a cable out of the stock SMPS cable, but then that SMPS would be an 'orphan' at that point (meaning not salable nor usable until further modified).

And finding out that the ±12vdc isn't needed meant you just dodged a bullet in terms of $$$ and complexity, all the way around.

JJ

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #3,484 of 3,694
@phile1 there are many Dante enabled products with AES outputs; this Arrakis unit is not the least expensive, it also lacks SPDIF and I haven't received it yet. Check out @gefski who published a review on an Atterotech undAESo model, also, Focusrite has recently discontinued the Rednet3 (according to B&H Photo) and the D16AES (according to Focusrite) so they may become available at substantially discounted prices, and Focusrite may have new Rednet models coming out soon. If you do SRC on your player (or NAS as your diagram shows), then any Dante product could work; if in the future you insist on playing everything at native resolution and letting your DAC handle SRC if necessary, then Focusrite products are currently the only option because they (semi) support Sample Rate Follow via Rednet Control. Read back in this thread for a wealth of knowledge. You publish a very nice system diagram and yes, Dante could be quite useful to you.

Apr 18, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #3,487 of 3,694
Great news all around on the single voltage needed for the Arrakis. Thanks to those who open up boxes & void warrantys.

JayNYC, FYI @atomicbob and I like the Acopian Gold Box PS. They are assembled (in US) for the voltage needed, standardized chassis, run cool (all heat sink & holes). https://www.acopian.com/power-supply-voltages/ They've been making them for years, so I have been able to find units on eBay for sub $100, have a couple here but no 5v. My uDO is 24v. There, of course, are adjustable units from other companies in nice little black boxes.

JayNYC, I appreciate your phrase "semi" sample rate follow. :beyersmile: Please keep this little group up to speed on your adventures. We only get noticed when someone discovers how great the Dante system sounds or when someone who never listened to one "snake oils" us.

May 14, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #3,488 of 3,694
Is anyone here who is running a Dante system also using a streaming music service such as Tidal or Quboz?

I am using JRMC with AO to play downloads and CD rips. This has been rock solid and very convenient. I need to be able to play via my music server and have the ability to remote control playback using my iPhone or iPad.

Anyone have experience with this?

May 14, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #3,489 of 3,694
Have you tried JRemote?
I use it on my ipad and while it is a bit complicated it does work well.

JJ

May 15, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #3,490 of 3,694
Is anyone here who is running a Dante system also using a streaming music service such as Tidal or Quboz?

I am using JRMC with AO to play downloads and CD rips. This has been rock solid and very convenient. I need to be able to play via my music server and have the ability to remote control playback using my iPhone or iPad.

Anyone have experience with this?

@mourip set DVS for WDM instead of ASIO, go into Tidal settings and set the output for Exclusive & Force Volume. that’ll effectively be Wasapi. Use remote desktop to control Tidal as a first step.

May 15, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #3,491 of 3,694
Have you tried JRemote?
I use it on my ipad and while it is a bit complicated it does work well.

JJ
I use JRemote now with JRMC and love it. I was looking for a way to use a streaming service to play music from my server via DVS.

Thanks.

May 15, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #3,492 of 3,694
@mourip set DVS for WDM instead of ASIO, go into Tidal settings and set the output for Exclusive & Force Volume. that’ll effectively be Wasapi. Use remote desktop to control Tidal as a first step.

Thanks. I will give it a shot. Too bad that JRMC does not support plugins for major streaming services...

I did have Pandora working for a while using Virtual Cable but it broke and I never could get it working properly again.

May 17, 2018 at 4:22 AM Post #3,493 of 3,694
I know long ago I had been a jerk here and I am apologizing for that. I just wanted to know if this is relevant when using a DAC, Server etc. that operates over Ethernet and/or I2S? My understanding was all this is simply to overcome the limitations of USB? Furthermore I have found other than Rednet the USB/Ethernet extenders have problems with latest Win10. Why PSA seized production of LanRover. I think it should not matter in my case though as I am using Ethernet right into the DAC? Or should I do this anyways for best sound reproduction? I am not being wise I am asking a serious question. To me at least.

May 17, 2018 at 5:32 AM Post #3,494 of 3,694
Not entirely just to overcome USB but because USB wasn't top notch, until folks got serious.
But SPDIF and AES have been around a long time as have various flavors of ethernet, among them the several PSA implementations.

But thus far AOIP is still top -o- the heap, especially if tweaked (get rid of them nasty SMPS's) etc.

USB has come a long ways and it was only when the Wyrd came out that USB approached and surpassed the PSA ethernet approach with the PWD, at least in my system.
And USB is even better now with Gen-5 in either flavor, and is good enough to act as a secondary digital audio path, but still when a tweaked AOIP system settles in, well the USB feed simply doesn't get used all that much after that.

JJ

May 18, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #3,495 of 3,694
Thanks. I am surprised wyrd was better with PSA on USB than their Ethernet. I must go kick myself because 3 weeks ago I was offered a Wyrd for $25 and passed it up! I would be happy with just that. I have the two IFI boxes and the Wyred PSU on them.
There is plenty of Rednet gear around here. I will just borrow one from myself and try it. I just did not know if you are going into the DAC with Ethernet or USB? If you have Ethernet option, better to use that? PWD has been out since like 2013 so I assume it is old USB implementation. Weird thing is PSA said it needs +5V and I discovered it did not. Lifted on the IFI. Although right now I am using DAVE anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back