AUDIO over IP - REDNET 3 & 16 Review. AES67 Sets A New Standard for Computer Audio
Jul 31, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #3,511 of 3,694
Jul 31, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #3,512 of 3,694
Either should provide the 48v to power a connected device which requires POE.
Nice but what is optimal for the device to get the best input of power? Maybe get the injector an use a linear power supply? Maybe the switch puts in more emi or other things that may polute the power over Ethernet, i am asking this because i am taking this dante route like many other has in this thread, to get pass the nasty stuff that a usb connection provides. So i just want the cleanest possible signal into my dac etc.

Jul 31, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #3,513 of 3,694
I have moved to LPS power supplies whenever possible. For 48v you might need to have one custom made. Consider however that you are considering a low end Dante device and so the expense/different might not be justified or heard...

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #3,514 of 3,694
I have moved to LPS power supplies whenever possible. For 48v you might need to have one custom made.
Yeah thats true, i forgot about the 48 v. But i am wondering if this aes dante adapter is gonna be better then the direct usb connection, and how it compares to a rednet when it comes to the digital signal out to mt dac.

Jul 31, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #3,515 of 3,694
Yeah thats true, i forgot about the 48 v. But i am wondering if this aes dante adapter is gonna be better then the direct usb connection, and how it compares to a rednet when it comes to the digital signal out to mt dac.

It might not be better than USB via the Mutec. I am using a D16 with AES out to a Mutec USB and AES out to my DAC and find it to be great.

Jul 31, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #3,516 of 3,694
It might not be better than USB via the Mutec. I am using a D16 with AES out to a Mutec USB and AES out to my DAC and find it to be great.
Yeah i saw that in youre earlier posts, that is what inspired me to get a mutec:) but maybe i just should start with a mutec first over Usb. And then go for a rednet with aes out. I have a rednet am2 coming in tomorrow, i am gonna just feed my preamp from the xlr out on that unit. Just to see if i am satisfied. But i want a digital signal out so i can use a mutec and then feed my dac. Hmm. I am not sure about this little unit because it gets the power from its ethernet line in. Maybe that power is gonna polute to much. Its bugging me, i think the digital signal it gets is better then over usb, but not the power. But then again it is designed to be operated poe. So maybe its just gonna be be better then the usb solution with my uptone usb regen. Hmm.

Jul 31, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #3,517 of 3,694
The ting is i am getting some very revealing speakers, so i just dont want to degrade the signal inn. Just as little as possible, maybe i am better off with the rednet am2 xlr into my preamp, and maybe later go for a rednet d16r?

Jul 31, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #3,518 of 3,694
But what rednet unit is the most recomended for getting digital out to my dac? Is the D16r then one to get, its a newer one. And does it not have the brooklyn chipset the newest one? But how is it compared to rednet 3? Chipset etc. Rednet 3 is cheaper so is it worth going for the d16r?

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2018 at 1:29 AM Post #3,520 of 3,694
But what rednet unit is the most recomended for getting digital out to my dac? Is the D16r then one to get, its a newer one. And does it not have the brooklyn chipset the newest one? But how is it compared to rednet 3? Chipset etc. Rednet 3 is cheaper so is it worth going for the d16r?
The guts in the d16/d16r and the rn3 are essentially the same and all use the Brooklin board. The outputs are different between the 16 and the 3.

Check out the Focusrite web site for lots of specs.

Aug 6, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #3,521 of 3,694
The Rednet 3 uses the original Brooklyn module while the D16 uses the Brooklyn II. I'm not sure if that has changed for the 3 more recently but that was the case the last time I checked. I had also seen at one point a SKU for a Brooklyn II upgrade for the Rednet 3, but wasn't able to find much more about it. It's possible that one could find a Brooklyn II card cheap on eBay and upgrade the 3, but I don't know if any other steps are involved.

That said, I may have a Rednet 3 with an external iFi PSU for sale in the next week or so.... I'm going to a D16 mainly because I needed something that would fit in 1U space.

Aug 25, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #3,522 of 3,694
For those few of us who still are enjoying Rednet/Dante. Audinate has a new chip that seems to be in between their two existing Dante chips and does 24/192. It is called the "Broadway". Not sure if there are any implementations yet.

upload_2018-8-25_16-48-35.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-25_16-48-15.png
    upload_2018-8-25_16-48-15.png
    45.5 KB · Views: 0
Aug 28, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #3,523 of 3,694
For a studio project we just got few new Wireworld DB25-XLR cables, 3 different kinds, one new EVO Snake which is a standard one and 2 different silver and copper as a customized. Hope to try it soon with a Rednet and a Merging Hapi too. We will see how it works. :)

IMG_5161.jpgIMG_5162.jpgIMG_5163.jpgIMG_5165.jpg

Aug 28, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #3,525 of 3,694
Looking forward to hearing a comparison. I did not know that WW made Pro Audio cables also.

What cable are you using in that position now?

http://www.wireworldproaudio.com/wireworld.html

Actually these cables will be built in a studio partly to be used with Rednet interfaces and with Merging Hapi too as audio in, out and AES I/O as well. I am using Micro Platinum Eclipse XLR cables with my active monitors and I really like them, very lively, open and smooth at the same time, really good. I expect the same from their DB25 cables.

The DB25 cables we got are:

- OCC Silver, from Micro Platinum Eclipse wire (custom made)
- OCC copper, from Micro Eclipse wire (custom made)
- and few from the newest OFC EVO-SNAKE, standard

Got some custom made Platinum Electra silver power cables as well for this project. They are nothing short of amazing. :) Do not try them.! :)

IMG_5167.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back