Audio Novice, £100-£200 headphones? K701/MS1i/SRH840/ATH-M50? Advice also needed.
Jul 19, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #16 of 42

Quote:
They are however £150 - I got mine from iheadphones (http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/headphones/23547/Sennheiser+HD25+ii.htm).

If your budget won't stretch further than a ton though, have a look at Joker's excellent thread here for heaps more suggestions.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-44-portable-headphones-compared-sony-mdr-xb500-alessandro-ms1-added-07-08

Pricy, but definitely an option, although they are slightly lacking on aesthetics :p

That thread is superb and contains some headphones I'd previously been looking into such as the Sennheiser HD238s. I noticed some Grado SR60is on that thread, does anyone know any reason why those wouldn't suit my needs, because they seem almost perfect.

Quote:

anyway if its for portable would you not rather IEM's? (in ear monitors) at present in the UK my default suggestion in the Radiopaq Jazz.  its cheap, sounds great for the many and is like to be satisfying to mast people with its sound signature.  since you dont seem to have a clear idea of what type of sound your after id say get it and then use it as a point of reference for the future.

if you want to blow the 100 right off id say go for the sennheiser IE7

I know it seems weird, but I can't get over the fact that when one buys headphones, one receives a hefty piece of kit, which seem worth the money. With these so-called IEMs one receives very little tangible product. I can't get over that perception at the moment. Also I find in-ear headphones extremely uncomfortable, and with my (*waits for abuse*) Skullcandy Ink'ds (which I used for a grand total of an hour), I can hear when the lead is touched, which I'm not sure is a problem with in-ears in general, or just awful skullcandies.

Quote:
What type of music do you generally listen to?
Would this be mainly for home listening or portable?
Earbuds, headphones or in ear canals?

-Alternative, Punk, Hard Rock, Rock, Metal, Rap/Metal, Rock/Pop, Pop.
-50/50, but if I had to say, probably erring on the home listening side of things.
-Headphones. I can't stand anything going inside of my ear and I don't think I could bring myself to spend any real amount of money on earbuds.

Jul 19, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #18 of 42

Quote:
 grado range are good, but they dont isolate, they leak sound and they arent as durable 

Is it possible to describe how much they leak and how durable they are (i.e. what breaks, when and from what sort of use?)

[size=medium]

[/size]

Jul 20, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #19 of 42
From what I've read (not having used Grado myself), they definitely aren't recommended for use on trains, planes etc, as they let the people next to you hear almost as much music as you do....  Probably best for home use only.

Jul 20, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #20 of 42
Now, I'm moving away from the idea of expensive (to me) headphones for travelling, and towards the idea of having a pair of home headphones, and then look into portables at a later date.

Jul 20, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #22 of 42
Got them about an hour ago. Early impressions: nice and lightweight, yet robust feeling, and very comfortable to wear. My Cowon J3 drive them easily. Sound isolation is excellent.

Sound qualitywise, burn in will need to take place obviously, but out of the box these sound weighty and precise, with an impressively airy and wide soundstage for a closed headphone.  Am looking forward to taking them for a walk out of the office later.

Quote:
A mate of mine has the Grado SR60i and I could actually hear what he was listening to, albeit in a quiet room

Bennyboy, how you getting on with those Senns mate?

Jul 20, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #23 of 42

Quote:
Got them about an hour ago. Early impressions: nice and lightweight, yet robust feeling, and very comfortable to wear. My Cowon J3 drive them easily. Sound isolation is excellent.

Sound qualitywise, burn in will need to take place obviously, but out of the box these sound weighty and precise, with an impressively airy and wide soundstage for a closed headphone.  Am looking forward to taking them for a walk out of the office later.

Nice! Good so far. You're comfortable wearing them out in public then presumably?

I'm hovering over the 'Buy' button.......
dt880smile.png

Jul 20, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #24 of 42
Well, I'm yet to try them in 'real life' so to speak - been desk bound all day. But yeah, am gonna give them a go on tube on way home.  To be honest, wearing headphones in public might have bothered me more in the past, but I'd much rather hear decent music these days, know what I mean? Surprising number of others using them too, once you start looking, I've found....

Can't speak for you, of course, so its your decision. I'd say go for it, but its your call...

Quote:

Nice! Good so far. You're comfortable wearing them out in public then presumably?

I'm hovering over the 'Buy' button.......
dt880smile.png

Jul 20, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #25 of 42
Ok, I look like a complete tool wearing these in public. Forget it - strictly home alone use for me and iems for out and about.  Lesson learned.

Jul 20, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #26 of 42
Here's a question: if the sound leakage from the SR-60is wasn't a problem, are they good, because the more I think of them the more I want them :p?

Also, if I were to (hypothetically) increase my budget, which are better the Senn 25-IIs or Shure SRH840s?

Jul 20, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #28 of 42

Quote:
btw be aware that grados are much more expensive in the UK than in the US

sennheisers represent far better value here but will be recommend less due to them being more pricey in the us

I see. I haven't done extensive searching on the Grados just yet but (89.99+3.99=) £93.98 from iHeadphones seems pretty reasonable, especially considering the (mostly) positive attitude towards them and (IMO) the much better styling than any other headphones around my budget.

I assume the price variation is due to Sennheisser being based in Germany(?) and Grados in the US of A?

Jul 21, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #30 of 42

Quote:
I see. I haven't done extensive searching on the Grados just yet but (89.99+3.99=) £93.98 from iHeadphones seems pretty reasonable, especially considering the (mostly) positive attitude towards them and (IMO) the much better styling than any other headphones around my budget.

I assume the price variation is due to Sennheisser being based in Germany(?) and Grados in the US of A?

yeah but bare in mind many americans will recommend them based on their price of us$80.  senn conversly are usually more expensive in the US

Users who are viewing this thread

Back