Audio-GD Reference 7 - the new flagship DAC
Mar 31, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #2,238 of 2,738
I may going to China with local Audio-GD selling agent to meet Kingwa and his staff on April 17th.  There are many opinions on i2S compare to others.  But what I can say one thing is, for RE-7 and other Audio-gd DAC, i2S can give far best sound than other input methods.

I am from Seoul, Korea and all most every audiophiles, who visit local Audio-GD listerning room to buy Audio-GD Reference series DAC, have been bought i2S option also.  The DIR9001 is one of the best chip to mod with i2S.

I may get my Master-1 preamp, which I have placed order almost month ago, on my trip to Kingwa and will test how is sounds from C3-Final preamp.  For power amp, I will use PASS x350.5 for TR and Unison Research Reference Power for tube to test, also with C1-Master for ACSS connection from DAC to Power amp

BYW, I have tried to connect with Kingwa, but I only can talk with Edwin.  Anyone has talked with Kingwa lately?  I am very curious how Kingwa has been...

P.S. I may post some other time but who use RE-7 DAC, please aware that you should wait long enough time before turn on you amp after you have tune-on RE-7.  My study with RE-7, during the relay works, there is some higher than nomal DC can occure.  It can damage you amp and speakers.

Mar 31, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #2,239 of 2,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMacinSeoul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
P.S. I may post some other time but who use RE-7 DAC, please aware that you should wait long enough time before turn on you amp after you have tune-on RE-7.  My study with RE-7, during the relay works, there is some higher than nomal DC can occure.  It can damage you amp and speakers.

I have noticed this as well and I hope they addressed the problem in the RE7.1, which I will be receiving soon.  A well engineered DAC should not have this problem.

Mar 31, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #2,241 of 2,738
I may going to China with local Audio-GD selling agent to meet Kingwa and his staff on April 17th.  There are many opinions on i2S compare to others.  But what I can say one thing is, for RE-7 and other Audio-gd DAC, i2S can give far best sound than other input methods.

I am from Seoul, Korea and all most every audiophiles, who visit local Audio-GD listerning room to buy Audio-GD Reference series DAC, have been bought i2S option also.  The DIR9001 is one of the best chip to mod with i2S.

I may get my Master-1 preamp, which I have placed order almost month ago, on my trip to Kingwa and will test how is sounds from C3-Final preamp.  For power amp, I will use PASS x350.5 for TR and Unison Research Reference Power for tube to test, also with C1-Master for ACSS connection from DAC to Power amp

BYW, I have tried to connect with Kingwa, but I only can talk with Edwin.  Anyone has talked with Kingwa lately?  I am very curious how Kingwa has been...

Interesting about the i2S. How do you do this?
From what I understand you will have to modify the Ref 7 and as well have a source with a matching i2S output.

Mar 31, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #2,242 of 2,738
I have not notice anything unusual with Ref-7 + either Phoenix or CSP2+.  Is there any sonic symptom?

Quote:
How long? Maybe 15-20 seconds or so? How much DC power is leaked in the worst case scenario?

And nice new avatar, vrln.  Do you know what that mean?  That is the very word a head-fier need. 
L3000.gif

Mar 31, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #2,243 of 2,738

Quote:
I have not notice anything unusual with Ref-7 + either Phoenix or CSP2+.  Is there any sonic symptom?

And nice new avatar, vrln.  Do you know what that mean?  That is the very word a head-fier need. 
L3000.gif

It does cause the speakers to thump at turn-on, so it is best to turn the DAC on first.  Beyond that, I don't know.  I don't remember if the Ref1 did this or not.

With regards to your second sentence, I have no idea what those letters mean, but I'm just having a guess here based on what you said:  patience  ?

BigMac,
You are saying the DC offset is occuring when the relays are being activated?  If I'm not mistaken, the only relays are for the input selection.  So this occurs when you are switching inputs?  If so, I have never noticed that problem.  Perhaps it is something related to the RE7HE version only.  Kingwa did say you can only have it running for 8 hours a day maximum so maybe there is some fault in the power supply.  I know the HE supply gets awfully hot and he is sinking the transistors to the bottom of the chassis.  Perhaps it is either overheating and/or putting out too much/too little power.  I certainly am no engineer but I would think that you should be able to run a power supply for more than 8 hours a day if it is properly designed, even though most people wouldn't.

I also don't know where Kingwa has been.  I haven't gotten a response from him in ages, only Edwin.

Apr 1, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #2,244 of 2,738
I've been looking into hi resolution (tight tolerance) master clock kits and I2S solutions this past week.......I have managed to find a number of really cool candidates ( DIY kits ) to choose from but I need to spend a few more days reading up on the various pros and cons of each of the respective solutions (and their parts used/topology etc). It's a bit of a steep learning curve for my slow/dumb brain
tongue_smile.gif

Anyway always start up (power up) your small signal/source gear first (preamp/sources etc) then fire up your amps last....just reverse that order when powering down. Stick to that regimen religiously and you'll never have an issue with a pop or thump. 15 seconds is long enough to wait IMO.

BigMac...if you manage to connect with Kingwa and make the trip to his factory take some pics please...I'm sure all of us would enjoy a look see into the new factory etc...(if it's alright with Kingwa ).

Try Kingwa's hotmail address instead of the A-gd address.

Peete.

Apr 1, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #2,245 of 2,738

Quote:
L3000.gif

Thanks! It´s actually an old logo from an UNIX open source window manager user portal (documentation, themes, icon sets) I used to run with a few other guys... The name of the window manager is enlightenment, to my best knowledge this avatar should pretty much mean that, is this correct? 

I became enlightened after trying Stax, no going back to dynamic headphones :) The REF7 is great for stats too, pairs very well with the detail retrieval ability.

Apr 1, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #2,246 of 2,738
It means a lot with a single character.  In additional to the enlightenment, my take is that "forget about the FOTM and hype, enjoy your gear and music". 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Thanks! It´s actually an old logo from an UNIX open source window manager user portal (documentation, themes, icon sets) I used to run with a few other guys... The name of the window manager is enlightenment, to my best knowledge this avatar should pretty much mean that, is this correct?

Nice try.  Patience to wait for the price to drop?  (or 2nd-hand to come?) 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With regards to your second sentence, I have no idea what those letters mean, but I'm just having a guess here based on what you said:  patience  ?

Thanks for the hint Peete.  I have always doing the same procedure unintentionally and hence may not notice the potential issue.
Quote:
Anyway always start up (power up) your small signal/source gear first (preamp/sources etc) then fire up your amps last....just reverse that order when powering down. Stick to that regimen religiously and you'll never have an issue with a pop or thump. 15 seconds is long enough to wait IMO.  
Peete.

Apr 1, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #2,247 of 2,738

Hi

I knew Kingwa more than 3 years ago. I stared to get to know him about OPA Sun, earth and moon. He was OEM for "Bxxxxxn" then before license expire.

I introduce him to head-fi and first contact was made with Penchuum and then Peete, then Currawong. ah those days .

Kingwa is a practical down to earth guys who waste no time in talking. His reply is usually short and precise and tactful. He shares his knowledge and experience in his diy thread to close followers. 

He is always the first to arrive at work and last one to leave and delegate his task to the staff with full authority (of course with level of authority). from his photo, he is not that old but his voice suggests he is more than 45.

when u visit his factory, u get to listen to his setup. In his setup, he uses the cables like Stock Canare coaxial cables and non fanciful power cords. His philosophy is he always listens to his gears and not listen to the cables.

yes do take a photo and shares it here.

Quote:

Apr 1, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #2,248 of 2,738
Quote:

I became enlightened after trying Stax, no going back to dynamic headphones :) The REF7 is great for stats too, pairs very well with the detail retrieval ability.

I used enlightenment a 6-7 years ago with Gentoo. This was a nice window manager, though heavily beta. It must be pretty nice now.

BTW, didn't you have a T1 before STAX?

Apr 1, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #2,249 of 2,738
Interesting... I used E17 with Gentoo those days too :) Do you still run Gentoo? Just wondering if anything has changed. I moved on to Ubuntu and then Debian, and right now I´m actually on Windows7 as I´m waiting for Nvidia to release new drivers that support my gpu (ti560).

Apr 1, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #2,250 of 2,738
Regarding I2S input into the REF7
I've been looking into hi resolution (tight tolerance) master clock kits and I2S solutions this past week.......I have managed to find a number of really cool candidates ( DIY kits ) to choose from but I need to spend a few more days reading up on the various pros and cons of each of the respective solutions (and their parts used/topology etc). Peete.

.   for RE-7 and other Audio-gd DAC, i2S can give far best sound than other input methods.

I think from my small reading that I2S  has the design robustness with its independant clocking to offer  great potential for improving the sound quality relative to SPDIF.

I wonder though if it needs asynchronous control if using a computer to force the timing to be controlled by a quality external clock eg at the DAC USB receiver to I2S board? Otherwise might it be a case of junk in = junk out whether its out via SPDIF or I2S?

I asked audio-gd to try I2S out of the DI into the REF7 DSP1 in 2010 but apparently it didn't improve things with average wiring.

I think just aysnchronous SPDIF can be incredible done right. If I2S can beat the AudiophilleoTwo USB->SPDIF, then the superiority of high end CD players and top quality vinyl rigs might be challenged?

What you guys are doing experimtning with I2S is really important from that consideration.

Can you use asynchonous USB protocol to feed the I2S and if so do you feed the DSP-1 the I2S or do you feed it direct to the PCM1704's as clean as possible?

Cheers.  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back