Audio-GD Reference 7 - the new flagship DAC
Jun 21, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #2,401 of 2,738

Quote:
this may not be the perfect place to ask, but I feel like someone where may know. I am talking to a builder about having a Beta 22 made. I asked if he could install ACSS inputs, so it could be used with the Reference 7. He said he has no experience with ACSS, and could only do XLR. Does anyone here have knowledge of ACSS. I am sure it is simple to implement, and if I could have someone tell me how it is done, I could pass that info along.

As someone who has done exactly this and spent the money building a passive I/V conversion circuit with the best nude resistors, into that same amp, I can only advise you against it.  It is not very hard to do, but I found it to be unnecessary.  Use the XLR outputs on the DAC, they will sound better.  Using a passive I/V circuit will give you a different sound signature, but it won't be as neutral as what you will get from the XLRs, as there is more loss in a passive circuit.  On the other hand, if you built an active circuit, that's a whole other ball game and might reap some benefits but is much more involved.  It's also the best case to put the active I/V conversion inside the DAC where it's closest, which Audio-gd has already done.  Using your own active I/V circuit would only improve the quality if you were able to design one or buy one better than Kingwa has.  Just stick to the XLRs and get some nice interconnects.

Jun 21, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #2,402 of 2,738
Well, it seems people do learn...
wink.gif

Jun 21, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #2,403 of 2,738
Thanks. I am sure it will sound great with the XLR, and I won't worry too much about it.

Quote:
As someone who has done exactly this and spent the money building a passive I/V conversion circuit with the best nude resistors, into that same amp, I can only advise you against it.  It is not very hard to do, but I found it to be unnecessary.  Use the XLR outputs on the DAC, they will sound better.  Using a passive I/V circuit will give you a different sound signature, but it won't be as neutral as what you will get from the XLRs, as there is more loss in a passive circuit.  On the other hand, if you built an active circuit, that's a whole other ball game and might reap some benefits but is much more involved.  It's also the best case to put the active I/V conversion inside the DAC where it's closest, which Audio-gd has already done.  Using your own active I/V circuit would only improve the quality if you were able to design one or buy one better than Kingwa has.  Just stick to the XLRs and get some nice interconnects.

Jun 22, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #2,404 of 2,738
It is my experience that from Ref 1 (DSP V5) to Phoenix that there wasn't a significant difference between XLR and ACSS (using identical conductors). I also experimented with ACSS cables with resistors which fared better with the original DSP. Currently, I'm simply using the XLR connections.

Jun 22, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #2,405 of 2,738

Quote:
It is my experience that from Ref 1 (DSP V5) to Phoenix that there wasn't a significant difference between XLR and ACSS (using identical conductors). I also experimented with ACSS cables with resistors which fared better with the original DSP. Currently, I'm simply using the XLR connections.

When I had the Phoenix, I actually ended up using the XLR inputs because I found they sounded more neutral and dynamic than the ACSS.

Jul 19, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #2,406 of 2,738
Has anyone tried running the DSP-1 directly off I2S via asynchronous USB?

The best source Ive heard so far has been an Audiophilleo2 asynchronous USB-SPDIF.
But then the Ref7  SPDIF receiver rejitters at 50ps which is a pity.

The I2S poster in Seoul hasnt got in touch with me but his implementation looked too complicated for what I can do with no DIY experience.

I emailed Kingwa and I2S can be feed straight into the DSP-1 eg via an exa board..

Anyone tried it or heard I2S? Thanks.

Jul 22, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #2,407 of 2,738
After some considerable waiting, my unit finally arrived yesterday.
wink.gif

Guess it's too early to come to conclusions as regards its sound characteristics. Run-in has just began, while, on the other hand, I have no previous own DAC reference to compare it directly with. Maybe I'll take it to a friend's home sometime during the following weeks, to run it side-by-side with his new Grace m903.

Nevertheless, what caught my attention last night, while feeding it with web radio from SqueezeBox Touch, was the high detail retrieval in several songs; I was able to listen to minute sounds and low-volume details in the recordings. Impressive! It took about a couple of hours until the devise warmed up and delivered its best.

One question to the other owners of Ref. 7.1 or Ref. 7: there is a tiny drill just above the power-on button on the left side of the faceplate. It is supposed to nest a blue led indicating when the devise is on (see picture here). However, when my unit is on I can see no light there, just the indication of the active input on the central display. I wonder if all units work the same way, or if it's just mine.
confused.gif
Any feedback will be welcome. Thanks.

Jul 22, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #2,408 of 2,738
The LED was usually held in place with glue. It might have just fallen out of place. I'd just take off the top and have a look.

Jul 22, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #2,409 of 2,738

Quote:
wink.gif

Guess it's too early to come to conclusions as regards its sound characteristics. Run-in has just began, while, on the other hand, I have no previous own DAC reference to compare it directly with. Maybe I'll take it to a friend's home sometime during the following weeks, to run it side-by-side with his new Grace m903.

Nevertheless, what caught my attention last night, while feeding it with web radio from SqueezeBox Touch, was the high detail retrieval in several songs; I was able to listen to minute sounds and low-volume details in the recordings. Impressive! It took about a couple of hours until the devise warmed up and delivered its best.

One question to the other owners of Ref. 7.1 or Ref. 7: there is a tiny drill just above the power-on button on the left side of the faceplate. It is supposed to nest a blue led indicating when the devise is on (see picture here). However, when my unit is on I can see no light there, just the indication of the active input on the central display. I wonder if all units work the same way, or if it's just mine.
confused.gif

On the Ref5 there is a hole and blue LED inside it (above the power ON button).

Jul 22, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #2,410 of 2,738
Quote:
The LED was usually held in place with glue. It might have just fallen out of place. I'd just take off the top and have a look.

Quote:
On the Ref5 there is a hole and blue LED inside it (above the power ON button).

Thanks for your prompt input, gentlemen. Since it is supposed to be a LED in that drill, I guess mine might have dropped [size=x-small][/size] or maybe not installed in the first place? I don't know...

Currawong, do you think that if I attempt squeezing a small LED (probably 3 mm size; any idea about the voltage?) in that drill from the outside of the faceplate, it might sit in place and work? Or I'd better remove the top cover and try installing it from the inside?

Jul 22, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #2,411 of 2,738

Quote:
wink.gif

confused.gif

I don't see any LED hole on the Ref 7.1.  Which unit do you have?  I can't remember if the Ref 7 had it or not, but I think it did.

Jul 22, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #2,412 of 2,738
How could you install it from the outside?

Just open in up and you'll probably find the LED on the inside laying there and if so, slide it into the hole and re-glue it.  Or find out that it is installed but doesn't work - if you can't stick a pin in the hole more than a  few mm, then you know the LED is there.

Quote:

Thanks for your prompt input, gentlemen. Since it is supposed to be a LED in that drill, I guess mine might have dropped [size=x-small][/size] or maybe not installed in the first place? I don't know...

Currawong, do you think that if I attempt squeezing a small LED (probably 3 mm size; any idea about the voltage?) in that drill from the outside of the faceplate, it might sit in place and work? Or I'd better remove the top cover and try installing it from the inside?

Jul 23, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #2,413 of 2,738
Quote:
I don't see any LED hole on the Ref 7.1.  Which unit do you have?  I can't remember if the Ref 7 had it or not, but I think it did.

Quote:
...Or find out that it is installed but doesn't work - if you can't stick a pin in the hole more than a  few mm, then you know the LED is there.

I have the Ref. 7.1 unit. In the picture I attached you can see the little hole I am talking about (arrowed). I did try to insert a pin and it went in almost completely (more than 2 cm).

So I might guess this is a Ref. 7.1 unit, in a Ref. 7 (LED hole) chassis, with no installed LED? Do all Ref. 7.1 units lack LED (regardless of chassis hole)? Of those owners that had a look inside their Ref. 7.1, did they happen to notice if there was at all a LED installed?

Jul 23, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #2,414 of 2,738

Quote:

I have the Ref. 7.1 unit. In the picture I attached you can see the little hole I am talking about (arrowed). I did try to insert a pin and it went in almost completely (more than 2 cm).

So I might guess this is a Ref. 7.1 unit, in a Ref. 7 (LED hole) chassis, with no installed LED? Do all Ref. 7.1 units lack LED (regardless of chassis hole)? Of those owners that had a look inside their Ref. 7.1, did they happen to notice if there was at all a LED installed?

Did you buy this from Audio-gd or from a third party?  If it was from a third party, someone might really have sold you a Ref7, not a 7.1.
I suggest you open up the cover and look inside.
If you purchased it from Audio-gd, then it appears they have decided to give us different chassis because my Ref 7.1 has no hole and therefore no LED.
I'm pretty certain my Ref 7 had it, but my 7.1 surely does not.

Then again, if you look at this picture:

you can see there is no hole on the Ref7.1 but it looks like some blue was photoshopped in where the LED would go, so maybe they added the LED later.

Jul 24, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #2,415 of 2,738
Thats weird. I have a Reference 7, and there is no hole on the front. I bought it from a member here. I suppose it could actually be a 7.1, but I doubt it. How would I be able to find out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back