Audio-GD Reference 5.2 (New Balanced 4x PCM1704UK DAC)
Jan 25, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #271 of 300
I'm thinking of getting a new DAC, on the warm side of sound signature.
If anybody wants to sell his Ref-5.2, I'm in !

Thanks for all the informations given in this thread, by the way.

Jan 25, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #272 of 300
  I'm thinking of getting a new DAC, on the warm side of sound signature.
If anybody wants to sell his Ref-5.2, I'm in !

Thanks for all the informations given in this thread, by the way.

Hello.

I own this DAC. To be honest, I do not think the REF. 5.2 would be your best choice if you are after a "warmish" signature. It is mostly a Neutral and Transparent design and even Qinghua describes it as such. Your best bet would probably be the NOS-1704 (single-ended), which is still available. However you could, to some extent, alter the REF. 5.2's tonality by experimenting with its DSP filter settings, even possibly running it in NOS (Non-Oversampling) mode.

All the best.

Jan 25, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #273 of 300
Thanks for your tip.

But on the one hand, I need balanced out (in fact they are the only output needed), and on the other hand I'm looking for a neutral slightly warm (or slightly relaxed) DAC. I've tried the 1.32 DAC, it's good but rather clear than relaxed. I haven't tried this particular ref5, but I've tried the NOS 1704 and enjoyed the way music flowed, especially on top end. Don't know if I'm clear...

Jan 25, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #274 of 300
  Thanks for your tip.

But on the one hand, I need balanced out (in fact they are the only output needed), and on the other hand I'm looking for a neutral slightly warm (or slightly relaxed) DAC. I've tried the 1.32 DAC, it's good but rather clear than relaxed. I haven't tried this particular ref5, but I've tried the NOS 1704 and enjoyed the way music flowed, especially on top end. Don't know if I'm clear...

I think you are being clear enough. Yes, the Sabre Dac's signature is supposedly brighter and more incisive than the PCM 1704's, and it is not surprising that you did not like it, given the fact that you prefer a warmish sound. I certainly wouldn't describe the REF. 5.2 as bright, rather as essentially neutral and fulsome, with a good degree of transparency. Even if you were to find it a bit too clear for your taste, you could play with the aforementioned DSP filter settings, bringing it closer to a warmish tonality. 

I hope this helps.

All the best.

Jan 25, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #278 of 300
You are right rocksteady, when I auditioned the 1704 based Audio-GD I noticed this "fullness" of the sound, it has a unique signature that make its approach addictive. I found it a bit relaxed, that's why I'm calling the Ref 5 "warm", probably abusively...

Jan 25, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #280 of 300
In my words, the SA-1 is warm but retains a great clarity and is very musical, while the Ref 5.32 was too dark (compared to my other DAC back then: the Metrum Quad) and lacked dynamics.

Hi Clemmaster. 

I had lost track of what you purchased after the REF. 5.2. I did not have the previlege of listening to the SA-1, and as such I cannot comment on its virtues or compare it with the REF. 5.2. But I must say that my experience with the latter does not correlate with your findings. I would certainly not describe it as Dark or lacking in Dynamics, especially so after the "Capacitor Snip", which brought a bit more snap and zing to the sound picture. We all of course have different Ears, systems, rooms, etc, and are bound to come to different impressions. In the end all that matters is that we enjoy what we have and I certainly enjoy my REF. 5.2. And a couple of other DACs...
wink.gif

BTW, do you still own the SA-1? I take it that it is 120v?

All the best.

Leonel

Jan 25, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #281 of 300
  Hi Clemmaster. 

I had lost track of what you purchased after the REF. 5.2. I did not have the previlege of listening to the SA-1, and as such I cannot comment on its virtues or compare it with the REF. 5.2. But I must say that my experience with the latter does not correlate with your findings. I would certainly not describe it as Dark or lacking in Dynamics, especially so after the "Capacitor Snip", which brought a bit more snap and zing to the sound picture. We all of course have different Ears, systems, rooms, etc, and are bound to come to different impressions. In the end all that matters is that we enjoy what we have and I certainly enjoy my REF. 5.2. And a couple of other DACs...
wink.gif

BTW, do you still own the SA-1? I take it that it is 120v?

All the best.

Leonel

Yes I still own the SA-1 and SA-2 (both 120V models).

My setup is very different between the Ref 5.32 (SA-31 + HE-500) and the SA-1.32 (EF-6 + HE-6/5LE) so that might explain the difference in our findings but still, even after the cap mod, the Ref lacked dynamics and liveliness compared to the Metrum Quad.
I then got the NFB-27 as a replacement to the Ref 5.32 and this was an different beast entirely (I still had the Metrum Quad for reference).

By extrapolation (having owned different DAC in the past year, all of them having overlapping the other to help my memory of the DAC I sold), I ended up with that impression: it is not a side by side comparison, it is from memory with a distant reference.

Apr 12, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #282 of 300
Haven't checked AudioGD site in a long time and just noticed the only pcm1704 dedicated dac is now the master 7....Guess it makes my 5.2 with full upgrade worth more $ not that i have any intention of selling it.....Love It!

Apr 12, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #283 of 300
  Haven't checked AudioGD site in a long time and just noticed the only pcm1704 dedicated dac is now the master 7....Guess it makes my 5.2 with full upgrade worth more $ not that i have any intention of selling it.....Love It!

Welcome to the Forum! 

Glad that you are enjoying the Ref. 5.2, but what do you mean by full upgrade? Just curious....

Leonel

Jan 15, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #284 of 300
Hi to all,

I'm recent owner of the Audio-gd Reference 5.32 and I like its sound very much!
beerchug.gif

But I have an issue with this dac. It outputs a dc offset of 65 mV at both channels.

This is problem with my dc-coupled setup and creates a high value (400 mV dc) on my Hifiman HE-6 (connected to my Firstwatt F5).

Speaking with Mr. Kingwa, he says that the measured voltage is the result of the embedded dc servo circuit.

Your opinion guys?

May 14, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #285 of 300
Anyone interested in letting theirs go?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back