Audio-Gd Reference 10
Jan 17, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #198 of 431
I experience lots of distorsions with the Squeezebox Touch USB (no driver) and my NFB-27 (firmware #4). Something might be wrong with that firmware.
I will try the old firmware (#3) - which worked fine back when I had the Reference 5.32 - and report back.

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #199 of 431

Put that non working USB connection thing on hold for now - using coax thru the HiFace. The Ref10 sounds so good (even now just after 15 hours of burn-in) that it is really hard to put phones down. Upgrading from the DSP19MK3 I was kinda familiar with AGD sound, but with the Ref10 it was for the 1st time I had a feeling the music is playing "almost" live. It seems I have reached my final destination in my quest for finding the perfect sound. Time to recable and balance my K702 to get max out of the Ref10 and maybe I should start saving for the LCD 2.2.  

Jan 17, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #200 of 431
Hmmn, no problems with USB here. I see the website has changed, not sure which of the driver on the USB interface page correspond to the ones I am using (from memory the old "3" option).

Jan 17, 2013 at 10:59 PM Post #201 of 431
Quote:

My Reference 10.32 arrived today. What a beast - huge and heavy. No problems over Coax from Foobar thru M2Tech HiFace. But  when I tried playback thru USB I had the same problem - sample rate up to 48kHz only. Any help how to solve it? Using Windows Vista 32. Thank you.

You have to go into your playback device setting and enable all the higher output rates for each device (so if you have optical, coax and  usb you have to configure each one) - could it be that?

Jan 18, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #202 of 431
Quote:
Hmmn, no problems with USB here. I see the website has changed, not sure which of the driver on the USB interface page correspond to the ones I am using (from memory the old "3" option).

I have found separate "green firmware chip" in the parcel so I've asked Mr. Kingwa what is it good for. This is his reply:

The default firmware is #4, applied V1.22 driver.
The spare firmware is #3, applied V1.1 driver, this firmware sound slight warm and smooth by some users feedback. 

Jan 19, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #203 of 431
Quote:
You have to go into your playback device setting and enable all the higher output rates for each device (so if you have optical, coax and  usb you have to configure each one) - could it be that?

Problem partially solved. I had to use another USB port in my notebook. Now I can see all devices up to 32bits and 192kHz in the Envy USB panel and play HD files as well. But playback stops for a second now and then when playing 24/176,4 and 192kHz files , 24/96 files play fine, so it probably has something in common with my hardware or I just need to get a better USB cable.

Jan 19, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #204 of 431
Thank you guys for this great thread. I couldnt help but noticing that this chip you were talking of is the same PCM1704UK that was used in the lite audio Dac60 for a short while. I had picked one up a few years ago and it has been excellent sounding in my home rig. I know there was some stir on the home rig forums back then about it, is it a dac in use here at all?

Jan 19, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #205 of 431
Quote:
... is it a dac in use here at all?

Yes this is the same DAC - the PCM1704UK is used by some of the best DAC designers and the chip can be found in some of the most expensive DACs. The D/A chip is irrelevant to judge a DAC unit sound quality, what really matters is its’ implementation. And I think Kingwa's implementation is top notch!

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #206 of 431
Quote:

Problem partially solved. I had to use another USB port in my notebook. Now I can see all devices up to 32bits and 192kHz in the Envy USB panel and play HD files as well. But playback stops for a second now and then when playing 24/176,4 and 192kHz files , 24/96 files play fine, so it probably has something in common with my hardware or I just need to get a better USB cable.

I have found that some players work better than others- MediaMonkey (free version- wasapi out) works better than my paid version of JRiver. JRiver has a hiccup 4-5 seconds into all tracks and sometimes looses the first second. MM is perfect and smooth. I max out at 24/96 though.

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #207 of 431
Quote:
I have found that some players work better than others- MediaMonkey (free version- wasapi out) works better than my paid version of JRiver. JRiver has a hiccup 4-5 seconds into all tracks and sometimes looses the first second. MM is perfect and smooth. I max out at 24/96 though.

Thank you, I did try MediaMonkey with Kernel Streaming driver and it worked fine even for 24/192 files. Then returned to Foobar and switched off Wifi module in my notebook and hiccup is gone. Everything works as it should now. 

Jan 21, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #208 of 431
Quote:

My Reference 10.32 arrived today. What a beast - huge and heavy. No problems over Coax from Foobar thru M2Tech HiFace. But  when I tried playback thru USB I had the same problem - sample rate up to 48kHz only. Any help how to solve it? Using Windows Vista 32. Thank you.

PiNa.cz,
Looks like your 16/48 issue is resolved. Sorry I was away for 2 weeks :) Let me know if you have heard a big improvement on 32/192. It does for me :).

Sorry I sent you a lengthy PM, but probably good to read through for some of those suggestions, but since you are using notebook, some of those advice will but apply.

Regarding your latest problem I think this is the 2 closest thing I can think of:
1. You might want to disable your other unused sound and USB devices. Unplug them will do, but if you have an onboard sound I suggest to disable it from bios. This reduce distortion
2. If you are playing your music from USB drive, move them to internal HDD and see this helps.
3. I suggest you try the first 2 since there are free :p Yes my 3 suggestion would be to get another USB cable. Shortest possible, with good shielding if possible.

Btw neat setup you have there...

Good Luck.

Jan 21, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #209 of 431
Quote:

Off topic:
I'm curious, did you configure JRiver to load your song completely to memory prior playback? I was considering JRiver as I read this feature somewhere, since it would reduce IO and free up southbridge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back