Audio-Gd Reference 10
Jan 22, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #211 of 431
Quote:
I have it going to memory which is why I don't understand the hiccup

I don't have JRiver, but for Foobar's hiccup turning Wifi off helped and hiccup was gone. MediaMonkey was fine with no hiccup even with WiFi on. So it probably is software/hardware related problem. Did you try to close as many running apps as possible so that JRiver was only app running? What about Foobar?

Jan 22, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #212 of 431
Foobar works without hiccup but sometimes a faint crackle happens when starting a track- I don't have all the recommended plug-ins though. I don't like the Foobar interface, I can never figure it out. I don't know if JRiver benefits from minimal apps running but I always have apps running so that is not relevant to me. Sticking with MM I guess. They all sound the same anyway.

Jan 25, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #213 of 431
Hello. I'm interested in this audio-combine, and have some questions...
I like Audio-gd Reference 8 very much - is Reference 10 near at Sound Quality to this DAC?
Does anybody make comparsions with brand combines like Eximus DP-1 or Luxman DA-200? Is Reference 10 on the same level?

And the last. Reference 10 (using integrated AMP) will works and fit good to Audez'e LCD-3?

Mar 2, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #215 of 431
Hey. Just throwing this out there. Best configuration by far i've heard via the jumpers is with the stopband set to -90, the dithering jumper on(which turns off dithering), and music upsampled to 96Khz(works even on 44.1 stuff, even though you should theoretically be upsampling to 88.2). It's extremely smooth and detailed, which confuses me greatly. It's like hearing a contradiction.

Try it out if you haven't already.

Mar 3, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #216 of 431
Hmm I've yet to play with those jumpers yet. I don't really understand those terms and what they really do. Perhaps when I have more time to experiment...

Mar 3, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #217 of 431
Quote:
Hmm I've yet to play with those jumpers yet. I don't really understand those terms and what they really do. Perhaps when I have more time to experiment...

The digital stopband seems to control the amount of treble energy coming through more or less. Setting to -90 gives the system a smoother and warmer sound. The dithering setting is affects 16 bit music by attempting to pad it to 24 bit (or so I am led to believe). However, it removes a fair amount of detail from 16 bit music and I prefer to hear all the little things. 

With dithering off and the passband set to the stock -130, music is analytical. With the dithering off and the passband at -90, music is warmer and more musical while still retaining great detail.

Mar 4, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #218 of 431
Quote:
With dithering off and the passband set to the stock -130, music is analytical. With the dithering off and the passband at -90, music is warmer and more musical while still retaining great detail.

I have asked Mr. Kingwa about jumper's setting a few days after receiving my Ref 10.32 and this is what he wrote back to me: 

1. The default oversampling is 8X times, attenuation is -130DB, this is the best detail and dynamic setting.
  2. Lower sampling and attenuation put the sound warmer .

So it seems he was right, no info on dithering though. I was not playing with jumpers yet, no time for that. 

BTW: I've tried Ref 10.32's USB input w/ TCXO update yesterday (due to playback of 192kHz files) and after some hours I have switched back to coax input thru unmodded HiFace and have found it to sound slightly better to my ears.

Mar 4, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #219 of 431
The digital stopband seems to control the amount of treble energy coming through more or less. Setting to -90 gives the system a smoother and warmer sound. The dithering setting is affects 16 bit music by attempting to pad it to 24 bit (or so I am led to believe). However, it removes a fair amount of detail from 16 bit music and I prefer to hear all the little things. 

Thanks! I should try disable dithering someday. Would be great if someone who tried this could share their experience.

Mar 4, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #220 of 431
Quote:

I have asked Mr. Kingwa about jumper's setting a few days after receiving my Ref 10.32 and this is what he wrote back to me: 

1. The default oversampling is 8X times, attenuation is -130DB, this is the best detail and dynamic setting.
  2. Lower sampling and attenuation put the sound warmer .

So it seems he was right, no info on dithering though. I was not playing with jumpers yet, no time for that. 

BTW: I've tried Ref 10.32's USB input w/ TCXO update yesterday (due to playback of 192kHz files) and after some hours I have switched back to coax input thru unmodded HiFace and have found it to sound slightly better to my ears.

I supposed it depends on your source/transport. My computers coaxial output just does not sound as good as usb, but a higher end player could have a better built output.

Mar 21, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #221 of 431
Hello all . I am about to pull the plug on ref 10-32 unit talked about in this thread , but I have one question.   
Can the dac be used separate and can the amp be used separate as well ? 

In this way I can mix things up.
maybe a dumb question but I. Do be leave the answer is yes , but I would like to have someone way in here .
again thanks for all the great info.

Mar 21, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #223 of 431
Thank you. 
Also what do they mean when they say uk at the end of the model number? 

Mar 21, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #225 of 431
Ty 
i should read o. To realize that . 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back