Audio-gd Reference 1 DAC (56 K warning)
May 1, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #346 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did attempt to feed the RE1 (today) with ripped DVDA stereo tracks...24/96 and it would not play them back whereas the Compass DAC had no trouble at all with the ripped files.

I know Kingwa is working on a solution right now but in the meantime hi rez files do not work with my RE1. Most of my listening is Red Book but I would like to have the option of 24/96 at some point since hi rez files will be available in greater numbers in the future. Hopefully 24/96 might become the new standard (PCM of course).

Peete.

This is kinda a major issue. I can't believe I haven't tried some 24/96's. I thought I had.

May 1, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #347 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is kinda a major issue. I can't believe I haven't tried some 24/96's. I thought I had.

I know Les....it's a bit of a bummer to say the least although I'm sure there is a solution to the problem. It'll just take some time. It will play back 24/48 but no higher sample rate.

I wonder if disabling the DSP chip (dip switch #7) allows the BB receiver chip to process 24/96 material ? Curra said there was a BB chip underneath the DSP1 board but he didn't know what the part number was...I could check that out (try disabling to the DSP1 chip) later on after I get through with ripping the current stack of CD's on my desk to the HDD library...man this is a time consuming bore
frown.gif

Peete.

May 2, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #348 of 2,441
Quote:

I know Les....it's a bit of a bummer to say the least although I'm sure there is a solution to the problem. It'll just take some time. It will play back 24/48 but no higher sample rate.

I wonder if disabling the DSP chip (dip switch #7) allows the BB receiver chip to process 24/96 material ? Curra said there was a BB chip underneath the DSP1 board but he didn't know what the part number was...I could check that out (try disabling to the DSP1 chip) later on after I get through with ripping the current stack of CD's on my desk to the HDD library...man this is a time consuming bore
frown.gif

Peete.

Did the DAC 8 play 24/96??

I'm mystified how this happened and was put into production. I was told in no uncertain terms it would do 24/96. I was told it would downsample 192 to 96 kHz. I figured I could live with that. I assumed those statements would be rooted in fact.

MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR Issue.

I've been busy working on other projects and just putting Burn time on the REF1. Have not even hooked it up to the DV, but was thinking about doing it this weekend.

Additionally, I just talked someone into placing an order for this, I need to make a phone call.

May 2, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #349 of 2,441
Well lets not jump the gun here...I said mine won't play 24/96...test yours out first to confirm please.

I need to get some native 24/96 files from Linn to test further.

Peete.

May 2, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #350 of 2,441
OK, so who and how did you guys figure out it would not do 24/96?

I just checked and I played about 6 different Vinyl Rips and they all played perfect. I cannot get 24/88 to play properly and he should address that because I believe that is HDCD/DVD-A rez.

The 24/96 rips I have work great.

I thought I had checked this when I got it.

May 2, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #351 of 2,441
Quote:

You are forgetting that not all ASIO drivers are created equal...yet the SQ difference between those 2 is very marked. That shouldn't be and yet it is.

I am sure it is different. But, I maintain that if there is a difference, then one or the other media player is not in fact outputting bit-perfect audio like it claims (e.g., the software may think its doing bit perfect, when that is not in fact true due to some combination of settings, driver bugs, windows processing etc.). To my mind, to be classified as bit-perfect output, by definition the output bitstream must be identical to the bits on the source media (CD, flac etc). Thus, two bit-perfect outputs must, by definition, be identical to each other (and to the source). If they are not, then they are not in fact bit-perfect, regardless of what they claim.

Quote:

Telstar is correct about RFI/EMI being a concern.

Why? I do not understand the mechanism by which a relatively low level RFI/EMI (e.g., not a massive EM pulse or other interference that actually prevents the receiving device from properly reading the bits sent by the sending device) can have an impact on a digital signal. Put differently, if the DAC receives a) the same bits, b) in the same order, c) at the same time (e.g. without jitter), how can there be a difference in SQ? I genuinely do not understand...

Anyhow, I will not reply further on this, as it is probably more appropriate to the Sound Science forum.

May 2, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #352 of 2,441
Quote:

Silly question, but are you sure you set the SPDIF output on the X-Prelude in driver to allow 24/96? When I had it connected to my X-prelude it would output test tones at 24/96 just fine (though I have no actual music at that resolution yet.)

May 2, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #354 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question to Kingwa a few minutes ago about Ref-1 accepting 24/96.

"Dear Tim,
We accept the 24/96 files.
Best regards,
Cherry"

Maybe Peete needs to reset his Calendar? It's May 1st, Not April 1st!

May 2, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #355 of 2,441
The Ref 1 accepts up to 24/192. I've had a weird issue with the Ref 1 dropping out on 24/96 input after a few hours switched on, so, last I heard from him, Kingwa is looking to re-program the DSP. Since the DSP board can be removed in under a minute, if I have to pop it in the mail back to him, it's not a big deal for me.

May 2, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #356 of 2,441
I'm really hoping the 24/96 works too because I have a bunch of needle drops that I want to play without converting to 16/44! Kingwa told me that he was waiting on shipping my unit out because of the new DSP upgrade. That should be finished now or nearly so, as he mentioned shipping out the Ref 1 sometime in the next week or so.

I am going to have to source out a sound card with linux drivers that has the proper output jacks to connect to this beauty!

May 2, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #357 of 2,441
I just downloaded the free 24/96 tracks from HDtracks, and can confirm that they play absolutely fine. This is using Mediamonkey ASIO with an X-prelude, so this is basically identical to Pete's setup.

May 2, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #358 of 2,441
And this additional response:

"Dear Tim,
Yes can play back 24/96.
But in the RE1 has a switch in it, for early customers we set to 44K. For Later customers we set it at 96K.
But I don't think computer can output good sound to any DAC. So I advice play back from CD transmit.
Kingwa"

May 2, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #359 of 2,441
I hope a computer can be decent because that is why I want a Ref 1! My CD player is marvelous but I have a few terabytes worth of legal FLAC files in need of some listening beyond the current conversion to Lame V0 extreme mp3s thrusted through various DAPs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back