Audio-gd R2R DAC Thread
Mar 11, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #811 of 1,272
Your R2R 11 must be of the latest version which has modifications to minimize the background noise with some DSD recordings.
Have you ever tried to play DSD 128 and DSD 256 files?
Do they have any background noise in the very soft parts of the songs (you have to use headphones and set the volume very loud to notice)?

You can find free DSD files in the Native DSD website:

https://www.nativedsd.com/information/welcome

I've never listened to DSD before. When I get a chance I'll try out some free files and report back.

Apr 15, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #812 of 1,272
I am experiencing an issue with R1 dac and matrix spdif 2 converter. When connected with i2s (hdmi) I only get sound when dac is in NOS, while if I switch to OS I get nothing (silence).

Tried both smooth and accurate V3 firmware but same result.
When using instead amanero usb it works correctly.

Anybody here using matrix 2 with an audio gd r2r dac who can share his experience?
This might sound silly but I have the exact same but when using USB! Only in N mode do I get sound out of this thing after I upgraded to v3. I even believe the input of USB changed from 1 to 3.
I did set the jumpers before to be in NOS mode 3. I'm starting to think that this V3 firmware just makes the thing a R1 dac and that the new display hardware upgrade is kinda mandatory ...
I still love the sound though :)

May 5, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #813 of 1,272
DA8 V2 released
Since 7th Dec. 2018, the DA8 module had upgraded to DA8 V2.
It has the hardware upgraded, that included the circuit upgrade and ladder resistors parameter changed.
In audition, the upgrade had improved a bit on transparency and detail, more real like on sound stage.
In measure the THD improved over 6DB.

Some one update?

May 16, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #814 of 1,272
Purchased R2R1 last june then R1 came out with jumperless design. Feels like the former is like unfinished product.
Hi
I also purchased an early production R2R1 dac and was surprised by the upgrade to R1 , making my dac outdated overnight . But Mr Kingwa told me that I could upgrade my R2R1 to R1 by changing the display board and firmware . So recently I ordered the upgraded display board from Mr Kingwa which was not very expensive . Fitting it wasn't very hard as it came with instructions , there is no soldering involved just connecting some wires , a new FIRMWARE also had to be installed . I don't if it's the display upgrade or the new firmware that goes with it but the DAC sounds many times better . It's transformed the dac , before I have several dacs that sounded way better , but now it even sounds better than my Reference 7 . So if you still have the R2R1 you could try this upgrade . The Firmware I used was the R1V3S , I tried the R1V3A but it was a bit too sharp but the R2V3S was just right .

May 16, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #815 of 1,272
Hi
I also purchased an early production R2R1 dac and was surprised by the upgrade to R1 , making my dac outdated overnight . But Mr Kingwa told me that I could upgrade my R2R1 to R1 by changing the display board and firmware . So recently I ordered the upgraded display board from Mr Kingwa which was not very expensive . Fitting it wasn't very hard as it came with instructions , there is no soldering involved just connecting some wires , a new FIRMWARE also had to be installed . I don't if it's the display upgrade or the new firmware that goes with it but the DAC sounds many times better . It's transformed the dac , before I have several dacs that sounded way better , but now it even sounds better than my Reference 7 . So if you still have the R2R1 you could try this upgrade . The Firmware I used was the R1V3S , I tried the R1V3A but it was a bit too sharp but the R2V3S was just right .

I'm interested in this DAC but confused about several things:
  • After your upgrade to R-1, did it sound better than earlier R2R-1 version? If yes, what were the positive changes?
  • And re RV3S vs R1V3A: are these both options available to you via front panel after upgrading firmware? Or are they different versions of the firmware itself?
    • I ask because if I purchase a new R-1, I would have to worry about it having the "S" vs "A" version of firmware, if these are different versions of firmware.
    • But if both are available on front panel, no problem.
Thanks!

BTW, I have the DAC-19 & NOS 19 DACs and am curious how the R-1 sounds in comparison.

May 16, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #816 of 1,272
  • After your upgrade to R-1, did it sound better than earlier R2R-1 version? If yes, what were the positive changes?
  • And re RV3S vs R1V3A: are these both options available to you via front panel after upgrading firmware? Or are they different versions of the firmware itself?
    • I ask because if I purchase a new R-1, I would have to worry about it having the "S" vs "A" version of firmware, if these are different versions of firmware.
Thanks!

Hello

I have never been truly satisfied with the sound of the R2r1 even after the previous V2 firmware update . My DAC19 was always better .

I was also very disappointed when they discontinued the R2R1 and replaced it with the R! . So I contacted Mr Kingwa and he told me that by changing the display board and updating the firmware my R2R1 would become a R1 . Well I did it recently and not only did it become a R! but the dac for the first time really blew me away . It was extremely clear as usual but now everything was rich sounding . I compared it to my Reference 7 and R1 was much clearer and the instruments were much more well defined and separated . I can now recommend this dac as it is now a really good dac . It sounds many times better than the R2r1 . Mr Kingwa actually sent me four firmwares , the other two being the R1tda-Asy and the R1tda_Syn . I am not sure what this tda thing was for so I fitted the V3 . The A is for Accurate and the S is for Soft . For me the A was just too sharp when using the Oversampling and the S was perfect . The recent R1's are now fitted with an upgraded Version 2 DA-8 modules so this should make it even better . For the first time I can tell you , you can't miss with this latest R1dac and if you use USB some really high end clocks are available as options , I copied this from their site (Femtosecond Accusilicon *2 upgrade the stock clock and Femtosecond Crystek *2 upgrade on USB ) I don't think that you can go wrong with this dac and you can probably request the firmware version that you prefer . I recommend the "S" version . Also I have now learnt that when Audio gd releases a new dac I will not be the first in line anymore but I will give them a year to perfect it .

I forgot to mention that the Firmwares are not available on the front panel ., it's only for switching from OS to NOS . As I know that you love your NOS19 I Would recommend the S version when you are ordering . So I think that your patience has paid off as thr R1 is now a truly excellent dac , and I don't even have the latest upgrades and it's really nice . And it finally sounds quite a bit better than the DAC19 .

BTW, I have the DAC-19 & NOS 19 DACs and am curious how the R-1 sounds in comparison.

May 17, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #817 of 1,272
Thanks!

Well I just spent some time trying the different firmwares in the R1 dac , I was interested in trying the latest firmware ie. the ( R1tda-Syn ) . After installing it the dac seemed to be slightly more detailed and sounded OK but something was just not right , I using the OS setting , somehow it lost that sweetness that I was getting before and there was an edginess to the sound that was getting to me . So I reinstalled the ( R1V3S ) firmware and the dac got back that beautiful clear and non-irritating sound . With the V3 firmware this is one of the best dacs that I have heard . When ordering your R1 if you do not need the latest R1tda firmware get the R1V3S instead it's way better . My desktop system is also very revealing so even the slightest changes with the dac makes a big difference to the sound .

May 17, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #818 of 1,272
Well I just spent some time trying the different firmwares in the R1 dac , I was interested in trying the latest firmware ie. the ( R1tda-Syn ) . After installing it the dac seemed to be slightly more detailed and sounded OK but something was just not right , I using the OS setting , somehow it lost that sweetness that I was getting before and there was an edginess to the sound that was getting to me . So I reinstalled the ( R1V3S ) firmware and the dac got back that beautiful clear and non-irritating sound . With the V3 firmware this is one of the best dacs that I have heard . When ordering your R1 if you do not need the latest R1tda firmware get the R1V3S instead it's way better . My desktop system is also very revealing so even the slightest changes with the dac makes a big difference to the sound .

Have you tried the NOS setting, either before or after the update?

May 17, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #819 of 1,272
Recently bought the board to manually upgrade the R2R1-DAC to a R1-DAC; after some struggle (in the end found out one of the cables to the new board was wired the wrong way around) I got it working and thus upgrading to the R1, this costs ~ €45 or €95 if you don't want to spend some time messing with the expensive gear.
If the R2R1 feels outdated, there is a $50 cure.

May 17, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #820 of 1,272
Interesting... is requesting an older firmware even an option?

May 17, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #821 of 1,272
Interesting... is requesting an older firmware even an option?

It was 3 years ago when I bought my DAC-19 (from Magna HiFi). I had been reading concerning comments about the sound of v7 firmware for this DAC: some called it "more detailed & accurate" while others called it "bright and edgy."

I asked Magna HiFi to put in the most recent firmware before v7, which for reasons I can't explain was v5. That's what I purchased, and I still like that sound a lot.

May 24, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #822 of 1,272
Recently bought the board to manually upgrade the R2R1-DAC to a R1-DAC; after some struggle (in the end found out one of the cables to the new board was wired the wrong way around) I got it working and thus upgrading to the R1, this costs ~ €45 or €95 if you don't want to spend some time messing with the expensive gear.
If the R2R1 feels outdated, there is a $50 cure.
Hello
Can you tell me which one of the cables was wired the wrong way around . Mine sounds great but it has developed a beeping sound when going from one song to the next and it's a bit confusing to get the settings right . .

May 24, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #823 of 1,272
Hello
Can you tell me which one of the cables was wired the wrong way around . Mine sounds great but it has developed a beeping sound when going from one song to the next and it's a bit confusing to get the settings right . .
The power wires for the board, those have nothing to do with the sound.

Jun 25, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #825 of 1,272
I currently have a Reference 7 and I need to get a new DAC because the Ref7 chassis is too big for my new setup. I also wouldn't mind if it sounded better as well. Do you guys recommend the R1 or the Denafrips Ares?
The r1 was just upgraded, i mean the da boards. Combine this with the accusilicon option and the r1 is most likely on top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back