Audio-gd R2R DAC Thread
Jun 25, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #826 of 1,272
I currently have a Reference 7 and I need to get a new DAC because the Ref7 chassis is too big for my new setup. I also wouldn't mind if it sounded better as well. Do you guys recommend the R1 or the Denafrips Ares?
I have the Reference 7 , the R1 and the Denafrips Ares . I wanted to do a head to head comparison before answering you . I have been mostly listening to the R1 in recent weeks as the latest firmware updates have really transformed it . Well I also have the Reference 7 on my desk although it doesn't get much use as my amp a few other things are stacked on it . The Denafrips also hasn't got much use as it's spent most of it's life in the box ( I got it the same time as the R1) but it's now in the living room replacing my old DAC19 which I just sold . I am feeding all the dacs from my PC's USB via COAX ( Gustard U16 converter ) with good cables and I am playing CD's through Speakers . First the R1 , it's very clear and distinct , it's now set on Oversampling X8 , it has a nice clear sound , I like it , it's easy to listen to ( not fatiguing ) Then my old friend the Reference 7 , compared to the R1 it is a bit more laid back and has a slightly sweeter sound but it no longer sounds better than the R1 , but I think it's needs to be wormed up . . The Denafrips doesn't have many hours on it , but I can tell you as I started to listen I could immediately hear a difference , I was a bit surprised as it had a richer more pronounced sound than the other two , I am really surprised as I thought that there wouldn't be much of a difference , but it sounds really good , it's clear , distinct and has a rich pronounced sound . so far it's definitely the winner . I think I'll leave it on my desk for a while , I had forgotten just how good this little guy is . I also have a DAC 19 V7 and a NFB 11.38 so I am a believer in Audio gd products The R1 is also very good and mine isn't the very latest so with the latest upgrades it should be even better , it's also very adjustable NOS or OS from the front panel and there is Mr Kingwa who is always there to help me whenever I have a problem . I hope this helps you to be able to make a decision , both dacs are really very good but the Denafrips has a richer sound while the R1 is easier to listen to and is more adjustable and offers future upgradability and it's also an Audio gd . And now that the Reference 7 has wormed up it's sounding much better and I think that it will now give the Denafrips a good run . I really love my PCM1704 dacs they are so musical and I intend to keep them . But if you have to down size either the Denafrips or the R1 will be a good replacement , but for sound quality I have to give the nod to the Denafrips . But it's a pity that you have to part with the Reference 7 it's a classic , such a beautiful dac .

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #827 of 1,272
Hi Jasoun,

Thanks for the Feedback. I like what you mention about Denafrips Ares being richer and Audio GD R2R R1 being easier to listen to. I think then that the Denafrips has more bite to the upper range compared to the Audio GD? But... say, which one has more depth? Which one sounds more convincing? Which one has a better texture of tone... when you close your eyes, which one feels more 3D? - As for Dynamic, the Audio GD R11 is already scary Dynamic. I wonder what of the 2 is more dynamic. Playing classical is already a problem. I am looking to upgrade from the R-11 as I want to move the R-11 to the desk and put a new DAC on the livingroom. I crave for Naturality... I love the analogue sound, natural, 3D and believable.

Also, were you using a Balanced output on them? I understand that Audio GD DAC takes advantage of this and uses all the modules appropriately when using balanced. Any improvement of any kind?

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:38 AM Post #828 of 1,272
Hi Jasoun,

Thanks for the Feedback. I like what you mention about Denafrips Ares being richer and Audio GD R2R R1 being easier to listen to. I think then that the Denafrips has more bite to the upper range compared to the Audio GD? But... say, which one has more depth? Which one sounds more convincing? Which one has a better texture of tone... when you close your eyes, which one feels more 3D? - As for Dynamic, the Audio GD R11 is already scary Dynamic. I wonder what of the 2 is more dynamic. Playing classical is already a problem. I am looking to upgrade from the R-11 as I want to move the R-11 to the desk and put a new DAC on the livingroom. I crave for Naturality... I love the analogue sound, natural, 3D and believable.

Also, were you using a Balanced output on them? I understand that Audio GD DAC takes advantage of this and uses all the modules appropriately when using balanced. Any improvement of any kind?

Hi
The Reference 7 started to sound really nice ( more accurate and clear and very musical ) when it was wormed up . So I reconnected the Denafrips to see how it would now compare , but as nice as the Reference 7 was sounding the Denafrips was crisper and clearer . As you say it was just more convincing , very clear and dynamic and not offensive at all . It's not shrilly like the ESS 9018 dacs . I love Audio gd dacs , but I have to be honest the Denafrips Aries sounds better . They nailed the presentation and it also has more bass . And even though I am not a bass person I can really feel the difference . It's hard to explain but I have very good ears and the Denafrips definately has something going for it . I do not use the balanced outputs on any of the dacs . The Denafrips is now replacing my old Audio gd DAC19 which I sold recently in my living room and that DAC19 Mk3 is a hard act to follow . I take a deep breath but of the three I would have to go with the Denafrips . .

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #829 of 1,272
Hi Jasoun,

The balanced output gives much better sound stage/3 D image but I think the unbalanced is already quite balanced as it is derived from signal of the balanced and somehow Kingwa makes it more balanced (not sure how to explain). I have the R2R7 (now R7) Dynamics of the R2R ladder is huge.

Jun 26, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #830 of 1,272
I have the Reference 7 , the R1 and the Denafrips Ares . I wanted to do a head to head comparison before answering you . I have been mostly listening to the R1 in recent weeks as the latest firmware updates have really transformed it . Well I also have the Reference 7 on my desk although it doesn't get much use as my amp a few other things are stacked on it . The Denafrips also hasn't got much use as it's spent most of it's life in the box ( I got it the same time as the R1) but it's now in the living room replacing my old DAC19 which I just sold . I am feeding all the dacs from my PC's USB via COAX ( Gustard U16 converter ) with good cables and I am playing CD's through Speakers . First the R1 , it's very clear and distinct , it's now set on Oversampling X8 , it has a nice clear sound , I like it , it's easy to listen to ( not fatiguing ) Then my old friend the Reference 7 , compared to the R1 it is a bit more laid back and has a slightly sweeter sound but it no longer sounds better than the R1 , but I think it's needs to be wormed up . . The Denafrips doesn't have many hours on it , but I can tell you as I started to listen I could immediately hear a difference , I was a bit surprised as it had a richer more pronounced sound than the other two , I am really surprised as I thought that there wouldn't be much of a difference , but it sounds really good , it's clear , distinct and has a rich pronounced sound . so far it's definitely the winner . I think I'll leave it on my desk for a while , I had forgotten just how good this little guy is . I also have a DAC 19 V7 and a NFB 11.38 so I am a believer in Audio gd products The R1 is also very good and mine isn't the very latest so with the latest upgrades it should be even better , it's also very adjustable NOS or OS from the front panel and there is Mr Kingwa who is always there to help me whenever I have a problem . I hope this helps you to be able to make a decision , both dacs are really very good but the Denafrips has a richer sound while the R1 is easier to listen to and is more adjustable and offers future upgradability and it's also an Audio gd . And now that the Reference 7 has wormed up it's sounding much better and I think that it will now give the Denafrips a good run . I really love my PCM1704 dacs they are so musical and I intend to keep them . But if you have to down size either the Denafrips or the R1 will be a good replacement , but for sound quality I have to give the nod to the Denafrips . But it's a pity that you have to part with the Reference 7 it's a classic , such a beautiful dac .

Awesome impressions, thank you. I'm probably keeping the Ref7 since I've had it for so long and it will also probably be a pain to sell lol. For now though I need something smaller and I'm leaning towards the Ares. The fact that the R1 is upgradeable and adjustable though is what's keeping me from just buying the Ares. I wonder how the newest version R1 with the upgraded DA8 modules compare to the Ares.

Jun 28, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #831 of 1,272
I recently bought the AudioGD C-2 amp (single-ended version of NFB1amp) and was so extremely impressed that I started to get the itch for one of their R2R DACs.
I was close to pulling the trigger on the R-1, but, after reading about the DSD issues, I decided to put the breaks on.
I would REALLY like to test out an R2R DAC to hear for myself how it compares to the ES9018 Saber that I currently have and, quite frankly, love the sound of. But I listen to a lot of DSD. Bummer. :confused:

Jun 28, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #832 of 1,272
I recently bought the AudioGD C-2 amp (single-ended version of NFB1amp) and was so extremely impressed that I started to get the itch for one of their R2R DACs.
I was close to pulling the trigger on the R-1, but, after reading about the DSD issues, I decided to put the breaks on.
I would REALLY like to test out an R2R DAC to hear for myself how it compares to the ES9018 Saber that I currently have and, quite frankly, love the sound of. But I listen to a lot of DSD. Bummer. :confused:
You can keep your current DAC for DSD and use the R2R for PCM. I don't see much sense on using an R2R DAC for DSD.

Jun 28, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #833 of 1,272

If DSD is really important to you, is there anything stopping you from picking up the Ares instead? I'm not that familiar with the particulars around DSD but that seems like a better R-2R solution for your situation. Again, not a DSD expert, in fact the only files I have in that format are my Pixies studio albums, but they sound great through my Audio-gd R2R-1. Though, tbh, I wouldn't really know what's wrong with the performance unless someone pointed it out to me.

Jun 28, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #834 of 1,272
Dsd has been improved with the new da boards.

Jun 28, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #835 of 1,272
The DSD from R2R7 has been excellent despite the noise on some quiet passages usually beginning and end of track but the new DA board supposedly fixed this per Kingwa. I have not changed mine yet but will plan to do so. If you love DSD, the sound should not disappoint and if you love DSD you can't stand Signa Detal PCM sound, as the R2R sound is really getting very close to DSD in terms of smoothness/analogue/organic qualities. If you love or at least find the ES9018 PCM sound great then you should love the R2R sound. It also has much improved sound stage and huge dynamics. THough I am comparing to a poorly implemented outdated 9018 DAC.

Jun 29, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #837 of 1,272
I am looking at a used R2R11, built around the time of the changeover from version 1 to the new "2019 model". Is there anyway by looking at the DAC to know whether its the older or the newer model?
Thanks!

Jul 9, 2019 at 4:56 AM Post #838 of 1,272
I tested firmware_2006be10 on Audio gd R1 DAC. DSD512 work fine, but I hear constant clicks / bursts when you turn on tracks DSD512 and even DSD256. Sometimes it is double-clicked, in the span of a few milliseconds.
On firmware 1099c, they are much smaller. Sometimes not at all!
I am using Linix (debia) + newest Kernel 5.0 + latest ALSA! + MPD player (I set a high buffer + 30% before play)

Jul 10, 2019 at 3:52 AM Post #839 of 1,272
I'm looking forward to get either R1 or R8... but R1 is closer to my budget.
Do you guys think, it's really worth to wait/sell my kidney/lie to wife to get R8?

I see that R8 is built much better, looks more serious, etc. but is there also difference is sound worth almost twice as much as R1?

Guess I'll get one of those for test but won't be able to have two at once. The other thing is that I don't really think it would be the best idea to test gear that exceeds my budget, temptation might be too strong.
Any idea how those my sound compared to Chord Qutest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back