Audio-gd R2R DAC Thread
Jul 10, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #841 of 1,272
I'm looking forward to get either R1 or R8... but R1 is closer to my budget.
Do you guys think, it's really worth to wait/sell my kidney/lie to wife to get R8?

I see that R8 is built much better, looks more serious, etc. but is there also difference is sound worth almost twice as much as R1?

Guess I'll get one of those for test but won't be able to have two at once. The other thing is that I don't really think it would be the best idea to test gear that exceeds my budget, temptation might be too strong.
Any idea how those my sound compared to Chord Qutest.
I can never answer whether something is "worth" the extra price. I'd certainly not go overboard in my budget for the difference. I use an R1 for headphones and an R8 in my loudspeaker system. I A/Bed both with headphones, and did a very, very short swap with loudspeakers. Is the R8 "double" better. No. Is it better, yes. I personally think the R1 is the perfect sweet spot in the value chain. You get a true full balanced design, updateable firmware, and the ACSS-related topology. To me it's a large step up from the DAC in the R2R11 (but lacks the amp), but the R8 is not as big an improvement over the R1. The R7 and it's variants (the ones I have heard) are only very slightly incrementally better than the R8.

I bought the R8 and R1 and not a Qutest. I think the Qutest and the Chord products are wonderful (and toteable), but I prefer the sound from what I have. As with anything, it comes down to preference and what works well with your rig and needs. Good luck, and enjoy the fun!

Jul 10, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #842 of 1,272
I'm looking forward to get either R1 or R8... but R1 is closer to my budget.
Do you guys think, it's really worth to wait/sell my kidney/lie to wife to get R8?

I see that R8 is built much better, looks more serious, etc. but is there also difference is sound worth almost twice as much as R1?

Guess I'll get one of those for test but won't be able to have two at once. The other thing is that I don't really think it would be the best idea to test gear that exceeds my budget, temptation might be too strong.
Any idea how those my sound compared to Chord Qutest.
I actually posed this question to Kingwa just a few days ago when I was pondering the R1 or R8.
He told me that the R8 was "overkill" for the amp that I have (NFB1) and is best paired with the Master 9.

-Mike

Jul 10, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #843 of 1,272
I can never answer whether something is "worth" the extra price. I'd certainly not go overboard in my budget for the difference. I use an R1 for headphones and an R8 in my loudspeaker system. I A/Bed both with headphones, and did a very, very short swap with loudspeakers. Is the R8 "double" better. No. Is it better, yes. I personally think the R1 is the perfect sweet spot in the value chain. You get a true full balanced design, updateable firmware, and the ACSS-related topology. To me it's a large step up from the DAC in the R2R11 (but lacks the amp), but the R8 is not as big an improvement over the R1. The R7 and it's variants (the ones I have heard) are only very slightly incrementally better than the R8.

I bought the R8 and R1 and not a Qutest. I think the Qutest and the Chord products are wonderful (and toteable), but I prefer the sound from what I have. As with anything, it comes down to preference and what works well with your rig and needs. Good luck, and enjoy the fun!

thanks, really appreciate this sane approach

I actually posed this question to Kingwa just a few days ago when I was pondering the R1 or R8.
He told me that the R8 was "overkill" for the amp that I have (NFB1) and is best paired with the Master 9.

-Mike

so I guess you've ended with R1; any initial impressions?

Jul 14, 2019 at 2:43 AM Post #845 of 1,272
Finally got myself the R1 display board for my R2R1. Encountered no issues on installation and firmware flashing.

Received 4 firmwares from Kingwa:
R1V3A - tried
R1V3S - tried, current running firmware.
R1tda_Asy - haven't try
R1tda_Syn - haven't try

Thing is, I can't feel discernible difference between R1V3A & R1V3S, and also NOS (1,2,3) & OS (2x, 4x, 8x). Not sure if I got problems with my ears lol

Source (PC-USB) > R2R1 > acss > NFB1amp > balanced > HD650 & LCD2C

Jul 14, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #846 of 1,272
I have just received my R1 and I have a quick question about the settings. Does anybody know what the second "mode" setting does when the R1 is in NOS mode?

It cycles through 1 -> 2 -> 3 but I can't see any mention of its function on the manual web page. The text that does appear:

"While OS setting on "N" mean the DAC working under NOS mode, it has one mode now, it is the full new NOS configure design."

Makes it sound like the second setting doesn't do anything?

Jul 14, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #847 of 1,272
I have just received my R1 and I have a quick question about the settings. Does anybody know what the second "mode" setting does when the R1 is in NOS mode?

It cycles through 1 -> 2 -> 3 but I can't see any mention of its function on the manual web page. The text that does appear:

"While OS setting on "N" mean the DAC working under NOS mode, it has one mode now, it is the full new NOS configure design."

Makes it sound like the second setting doesn't do anything?
With the TDA firmwares, that is correct,. No function.

Jul 14, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #848 of 1,272
Been burning in my R1 for that past few days and I've listened to just a handful of tracks with headphones while hooked up to the NFB1amp via ACSS cables. Love what I'm hearing already.

I also have the R1 connected to my stereo preamp via the Balanced outs so I can listen with speakers. However, the volume is WAY too low and I have to turn the preamp volume to max and it's still not loud enough.

Anyone know what's going on here? I sent an email to Kingwa, just waiting for his reply.

-Mike

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #849 of 1,272
Been burning in my R1 for that past few days and I've listened to just a handful of tracks with headphones while hooked up to the NFB1amp via ACSS cables. Love what I'm hearing already.

I also have the R1 connected to my stereo preamp via the Balanced outs so I can listen with speakers. However, the volume is WAY too low and I have to turn the preamp volume to max and it's still not loud enough.

Anyone know what's going on here? I sent an email to Kingwa, just waiting for his reply.

-Mike
I guess you need to change the input on the nfb1-amp, select any but acss (input three). But first set the volume to zero on your pre! I have the same behevious with the m1. I think one cannot use acss and xlr at the same time.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #854 of 1,272
I'm confused. Aren't there 4 different NOS modes to cycle through?

From the main site for R-1: "4 type different algorithm NOS modes, and 3 types different oversampling modes"
One of the NOS modes is OS 0, if that is what you are looking for and it basically leaves the signal as is in my understanding. The 3 other modes are under NOS of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back