Audio-gd R2R DAC Thread
Mar 10, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #1,261 of 1,272
R-1 NOS is cementing itself securely in my system! Despite its ups and downs going through its burn in process, at an estimated 550 hours so far, this DAC is insanely musical and neutral at the same time. I don't feel like I am missing any detail at all and its doing such a good job at presenting every single part of the recording. The exaggeration and harshness from pop music playback that I initially experienced is gone. The dips in low end coherency that I noticed two months ago are gone. Everything is balanced and, I'll say it, perfect now. There is no way for me to be certain that this is my endgame DAC, but I will be sitting here enjoying it for as long as I please!

Current chain:
PC USB (spotify) > R-1 NOS RCA > Questyle CMA400i (modded alps RK27 + analog inputs) > Audio Technica WP900 (XLR)

Mar 10, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #1,262 of 1,272
R-1 NOS is cementing itself securely in my system! Despite its ups and downs going through its burn in process, at an estimated 550 hours so far, this DAC is insanely musical and neutral at the same time. I don't feel like I am missing any detail at all and its doing such a good job at presenting every single part of the recording. The exaggeration and harshness from pop music playback that I initially experienced is gone. The dips in low end coherency that I noticed two months ago are gone. Everything is balanced and, I'll say it, perfect now. There is no way for me to be certain that this is my endgame DAC, but I will be sitting here enjoying it for as long as I please!

Current chain:
PC USB (spotify) > R-1 NOS RCA > Questyle CMA400i (modded alps RK27 + analog inputs) > Audio Technica WP900 (XLR)

Enjoy! Welcome to Kingwa's club. He is also passionate about music listening. It shows.

Mar 10, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #1,264 of 1,272

Current chain:

Add a di20he and it's likely your endgame.

Mar 15, 2024 at 8:45 PM Post #1,265 of 1,272
I am in the middle of a break-in process of 2x Cisco CBS220 switches. I think the sonic signature will go very well with audio-gd in general. Bringing out more dark, well-rounded(punchy) and textured elements. It also adds great dynamics and warmth to the R1N. R8H2 has not been tested yet

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #1,267 of 1,272
Had both menuet and r-1 but not at the same time. I remember I sold the menuet because I personally found it's low frequencies were congested and not on pat with the excellent mid-highs. Based on my memory the audio gd is a better machine but there is a possibility that metrum top and more expensive dacs are significantly better than the menuet

Apr 19, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #1,268 of 1,272
Anyone here heard the Metrum Menuet DAC that could share some impressions vs Audio-GD's NOS design?

My R-1 is amazing, but the brain burn in is well into effect and I feel like it's a bit too enthusiastic of a sound.
It means there still harshness, trust me on this. I had the same feeling when I was still battling with jitter. When jitter is gone, sound opens up, dynamics are great and do not obstruct low level details.

Your source is PC, DI-24HE will fix it, or try one of these new generation USB isolated hubs starting from $40.

Second cause is Spotify app, it use Windows mixer. Reduce in Windows Control Panel volume by 3dB to avoid Windows clipping during resampling. Or (better) play local files with Foobar 2000 using ASIO or WASAPI Exclusive output.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 6:27 PM Post #1,269 of 1,272
It means there still harshness, trust me on this. I had the same feeling when I was still battling with jitter. When jitter is gone, sound opens up, dynamics are great and do not obstruct low level details.

Your source is PC, DI-24HE will fix it, or try one of these new generation USB isolated hubs starting from $40.

Second cause is Spotify app, it use Windows mixer. Reduce in Windows Control Panel volume by 3dB to avoid Windows clipping during resampling. Or (better) play local files with Foobar 2000 using ASIO or WASAPI Exclusive output.
You make a good point. I'm not sure if it's totally the cause of my uncertainty, but driving the R-1 better will probably lead to better results.

I have to knock down the windows volume to 30% to get into the listenable range with my tube amp. With my CD transport, all I can use is a few degrees past the channel imbalance threshold.

You all will laugh but I am currently just using an amazon basics USB cable straight from the PC. I have a nice audioquest COAX for the transport, love that.

Still my chain currently feels too forward in presentation. R-1 NOS, Custom D3a amp, then ZMF Auteur OG.

I thought about the Pink faun I2s PCIE card but I'm mot sure if its right for me since it would leave out my CD transport.

Is there something available that takes USB or optical and converts it to I2s? Would need to be less than $300 and get me within 50% of the DI-24HE. This way I can tell if going further would solve my problems.

Apr 19, 2024 at 6:49 PM Post #1,270 of 1,272
You make a good point. I'm not sure if it's totally the cause of my uncertainty, but driving the R-1 better will probably lead to better results.

I have to knock down the windows volume to 30% to get into the listenable range with my tube amp. With my CD transport, all I can use is a few degrees past the channel imbalance threshold.

You all will laugh but I am currently just using an amazon basics USB cable straight from the PC. I have a nice audioquest COAX for the transport, love that.

Still my chain currently feels too forward in presentation. R-1 NOS, Custom D3a amp, then ZMF Auteur OG.

I thought about the Pink faun I2s PCIE card but I'm mot sure if its right for me since it would leave out my CD transport.

Is there something available that takes USB or optical and converts it to I2s? Would need to be less than $300 and get me within 50% of the DI-24HE. This way I can tell if going further would solve my problems.
Troubleshooting:

Apr 19, 2024 at 7:20 PM Post #1,271 of 1,272

I was recommending Douk Audio U2Pro, it was in the price range $40 the best option. However with low jitter oscilators price goes up considerably. In the range of $150 there are competitors. It has no galvanic isolation, so it is called a poornan DDC.

I have mentioned new generation of high speed USB isolators $40-50, these devices can connect directly to a DAC or through Douk Audio. If made properly there will be no need for such USB bridges. Read about on the last few pages of a poorman DDC thread, it seems a game changer. Unlike current proprietary solution, these isolators are completely transparent to the USB protocol. Can be used with any DAC/DDC, so your investment is no wasted.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #1,272 of 1,272

Have you tried up sampling with hqplayer? I find that certain filters help with the slight forwardness in the sound.

FWIW, while I always found my r2r-11mk2 enjoyable, little things like power cables, line conditioner, and better source all helped make it sound a bit better. Things that made it sound not so good were certain power cables, usb cables (went back to a cheap generic cable), and some power supplies for my Rpi (I switched to a hardwired laptop in airplane mode).

Just some things you might want to consider trying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back