Audio-gd R2R DAC Thread
Jan 2, 2024 at 5:20 PM Post #1,246 of 1,272
So @OCC7N, what's the verdict on the R1N?

@Nayyte, are you still enjoying yours?

I currently have Musician Draco, and I am curious how it might stack up against the R1N...
PM me your system and chain, I can share some more insight on my findings with this DAC and HE400SE.

This DAC is soo well matching with HE400SE(25Ohm). I ordered another HE400SE(32Ohm).

I have tried the R1N with a couple of bridges. I can only imagine how well it will scale with DI-24HE.

Supra 8K HDMI cable sounds amazing. I don´t think R1N needs too much "silver" details, but a cable that can give it more body/texture/lowend.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 4:47 AM Post #1,247 of 1,272
Hi
I have issue with flash upgrade of R28 gear.
I follow the instruction, but the JTAG chain was not detected by Quartus Software 16

I tried different pc with win 11 and 7 or xp OS.
Altera usb is detected after driver installation following manual path.
Fail the upgrade.
Altera usb was detected, but no the connection with the FPGA board, of course, with power on....

Question:

For the flash of FPGA with Quartus software, it could be possible that I must use:

Active serial programming????
instead of... Jtag...????

"In the mode drop down selection box select 'JTAG' for CPLD devices or 'Active serial programming' for FPGA device"
A post found in internet, searching Altera usb issue for programming....

Any suggestions from the forum is well accepted.
I read a lot of post...
@ladderdac and other members in the sections for Audio Gd or Audio Gd R28.
Yet, I Fail ulthe upgrade of my R28 2020 edition with, I suppose, a 2019 firmware.
I have also the kit sent me by Kingwa with new USB and HDMI modules for the upgrade to 2021 edition (hardware upgrade for isolation and the clock management).

Thanks in advance for the support

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 4:58 AM Post #1,248 of 1,272
Hi
I have issue with flash upgrade of R28 gear.
I follow the instruction, but the JTAG chain was not detected by Quartus Software 16

I tried different pc with win 11 and 7 or xp OS.

Altera usb is detected after driver installation following manual path.

Fail the upgrade. Altera usb was detected, but no the commection with the FPGA board, of course, with power on....

Question:

For the flash of FPGA with Quartus software, it could be possible that I must use:

Active serial programming????
instead of... Jtag...????

"In the mode drop down selection box select 'JTAG' for CPLD devices or 'Active serial programming' for FPGA device"
A post found in internet, searching Altera usb issue for programming....

Any suggestions from the forum is well accepted.
I read a lot of post
@ladderdac and other members in forum for Audio Gd or Audio Gd R28.
Yet I Fail ulthe upgrade of my R28 2020 edition with, I suppose a 2019 firmware.
I have also the kit sent me by Kingwa with new USB and HDMI modules for the upgrade to 2021 edition

Thanks in advance
Did you try connecting a USB hub between?

That worked for me

Jan 14, 2024 at 6:52 AM Post #1,249 of 1,272
Did you try connecting a USB hub between?

That worked for me
Yes I tried.. But nothing.. Fail upgrading yet.
I've bought another Alrera USB... Same result. So it is not an hardware problem.
I've also used Quartus software 23.. Same result.
Altera usb is always detected... But it's not detected the JTAG chain with the Altera Cyclone IV FPGA of my Audio GD R28...
I claim support to forum in order to get suggestions to move on!!!
Maybe that drivers are installed, but wrong drivers to detect the JTAG chain with FPGA CHIP???
WHAT SHOULD I find in the the device setting under USB connection... ALTERA...???

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 7:18 AM Post #1,250 of 1,272
I've bought another Alrera USB... Same result. So it is not an hardware problem.
Altera usb is always detected... But it's not detected the JTAG chain with the Altera Cyclone IV FPGA of my Audio GD R28...
Maybe that drivers are installed, but wrong drivers to detect the JTAG chain with FPGA CHIP???
WHAT SHOULD I find in the the device setting under USB connection... ALTERA...???

Thanks in advance
I had a lot of problems with the firmware transer software(Quartus software 23) and found another on google. Can not remember.

I remember the size of the software was much smaller than the version which did not work of Quartus

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 9:36 AM Post #1,251 of 1,272
@ethan60

Is there something wrong with the R28 since you want to reset/upgrade firmware?

Jan 14, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #1,253 of 1,272
Yes.... Noise with DSD
Did you open up the top plate to see if the Firmware port is connected to the board?

It could be unplugged for security reason, if you accidently pushed the button

Jan 17, 2024 at 11:48 AM Post #1,254 of 1,272
Did you open up the top plate to see if the Firmware port is connected to the board?

It could be unplugged for security reason, if you accidently pushed the button
There is no port back in the chassis.
The connection must be performed inside, on the board with Altera chip into the pins reported in the Audio GD website

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2024 at 7:04 AM Post #1,256 of 1,272
Different Quartus version but fail.... You know an alternative soft?????
Send the unit to the authorised dealer for repair. There might be a fee if you didn't purchase from them. One is locally in Italy, but many people got a quality support from MagnaHiFi or Audiophonics. Shipping charges should not be extensive, all within EU.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 3:28 AM Post #1,258 of 1,272
I want to buy a DAC with the I2S input. I am considering between Aduio-gd R1 Nos and Denafrips Ares 12th-1. Both have the I2S input and NOS features. Does anyone compare these two DACs?
Easy decision without trying the Denafrips.

You get a highend dac even with R-1 NOS.

It has 4 modules vs denafrips 2.

The R-1 NOS is “The Sleeper” DAC imo.

You can totally form the sound in the direction of your headphones. The digital/input board does not lock the sound into a certain sonic character.

R-1 NOS can even challange Susvara with good DDC/Bridge.

All you need to do is be patient and break it in for atleast 600hours. 1000hours recommended.

Mar 3, 2024 at 7:55 AM Post #1,259 of 1,272
Finally!....almost....headphone. No speaker has been tested.

The DI20HE does not influence/lock the sonics too much on the SPDIF input. However the Pink Faun I2S Bridge, adds the right dirt/texture to make the sound life-like...1:1

R1N can be flatter sounding. more neutral yes, but that is vs the higher-end audio-gd. Compared to other brands it is not that neutral/cold.

The first thing that opened my interest for the R1N, was going from USB(copper,silver and optical/FIBBR) motherboard, JCAT USB XE, PF USB Bridge V2....to the PF I2S Bridge.

Chain1: Source/PF I2S bridge -> PF I2S Cable/Copper -> R1N -> MWAY/ACSS/copper -> HE-9 LE

The sound became unbelievable correct/real for the representation of the instruments, however it was more "in-the-head" sound. I felt like I was the drummer in the band, but the other musicians, was a little too close to me.

(I had the strong assumption, it was all the I2S Bridge. Because Pink Faun I2S Cable did give the missing 2-5% liquidy/body to the R1N. However the dirt/texture that made the Bass/kick/snare/vocal feel like in the room with me I was still missing(I2S Bridge) - but mostly the 3D/surround from the DI20HE. In the whole meantime 5-6 months I had not listened to the DI20HE, but had in mind what it would do as for the soundstage -> out-of-the-head.)

So I had this in mind:

Chain2: Source/PF SPDIF Bridge -> SPDIF cable/OFC -> DI20HE -> SPDIF cable/OFC -> R1N -> MWAY/ACSS/copper -> HE-9 LE

This sounded very close to what I was going for, however it was a little bit refined, the bass player was missing the dark/distortion, that bass-amp feeling..selfnoise I guess.

Almost at the final stage changing out the one SPDIF cable to the PF I2S Cable/Copper. This is it!
Chain3: Source/PF SPDIF Bridge -> SPDIF cable/OFC -> DI20HE -> PF I2S Cable/Copper -> R1N -> MWAY/ACSS/copper-> HE-9 LE

The final chain will be with the PF SPDIF/RCA Cable I am very positive about this. The Inakustik premium coax gives me the impression it could have more texture. It is too pure. It is still breakin in....under 100hours

Final will be....I hope!
Chain4: Source/PF SPDIF Bridge -> PF SPDIF Cable/Tin/Copper -> DI20HE -> PF I2S Cable/Tin/Copper -> R1N -> MWAY/ACSS/Copper -> HE-9 LE

The R1N sound like the missing dac stage of the DI20HE.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #1,260 of 1,272

Thanks in advance
When installing the driver, make sure to have windows look for it in the Altera installation folder. You need to uninstall the current driver first. Setting things up is usually tricky. All is fine here on either my windows 8 or windows 10 pc using version 12 of the sw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back