Audio-gd R2R DAC Thread
Feb 3, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #797 of 1,265
I am experiencing an issue with R1 dac and matrix spdif 2 converter. When connected with i2s (hdmi) I only get sound when dac is in NOS, while if I switch to OS I get nothing (silence).

Tried both smooth and accurate V3 firmware but same result.
When using instead amanero usb it works correctly.

Anybody here using matrix 2 with an audio gd r2r dac who can share his experience?

Feb 3, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #798 of 1,265
I am experiencing an issue with R1 dac and matrix spdif 2 converter. When connected with i2s (hdmi) I only get sound when dac is in NOS, while if I switch to OS I get nothing (silence).

Tried both smooth and accurate V3 firmware but same result.
When using instead amanero usb it works correctly.

Anybody here using matrix 2 with an audio gd r2r dac who can share his experience?
I also have a matrix spdif 2 and it works “fine” but I cannot make it work at 384khz for some reason (with the R2R-1). At 192khz everything works fine. My feeling is that the issue is with the matrix spdif 2 because it also has problems pairing with a Geshelli Labs DAC via optical at high sample rates. BTW I’m using the I2S connection with the R2R-1.

Feb 10, 2019 at 2:39 AM Post #802 of 1,265
Hello friends! Yesterday I updated the firmware to V3A (is the accurate version)
I had to disassemble the case floor and reconnect the front new board with a screen and buttons. There is a new cable, which now works with the board and instead of jumpers. Please look at the photo! Did I connect it correctly?
DSC_0448.JPG DSC_0449.JPG DSC_0450.JPG DSC_0451.JPG DSC_0452.JPG DSC_0453.JPG DSC_0454.JPG DSC_0455.JPG DSC_0456.JPG

Mar 5, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #806 of 1,265
I'm pretty much set on ordering the Audio-gd R-1. I was told that it has extremely smooth treble and mid range, good bass retrieval, and sound stage and imaging. Sounds like exactly the signature I like.

This DAC looks like a "good deal" sort of DAC. Bear bones, DAC only (which is all I need), so they can focus all their attention on making the DAC good. Too many DACs have an AMP tacked on, and too many AMPs have a DAC tacked on. No, I just want a dedicated DAC, and a dedicated AMP, and I want them to do exactly that, not do a bunch of wacky bells and whistle hoo hah mumbo jumbo.

Mar 5, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #807 of 1,265
Still very happy with my R2R-1. The added functionality on the R-1 of being able to change the sound modes with the front panel is a great addition and the only thing really missing from mine. Highly recommend it as a DAC.

Mar 7, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #808 of 1,265
Received my R2R 11 about a week ago. It's my first Audio gd dac. It's quite amazing at its price point for sure. I'm actually enjoying music more than I have in a long time. Then a few days ago I bought a used DAC 19 on a whim from a fellow head-fier. I will be receiving it today. But I'm wondering if the DAC 19 will be any better at all? I guess I'll soon find out.

Mar 9, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #809 of 1,265
Received my R2R 11 about a week ago. It's my first Audio gd dac. It's quite amazing at its price point for sure. I'm actually enjoying music more than I have in a long time. Then a few days ago I bought a used DAC 19 on a whim from a fellow head-fier. I will be receiving it today. But I'm wondering if the DAC 19 will be any better at all? I guess I'll soon find out.
Your R2R 11 must be of the latest version which has modifications to minimize the background noise with some DSD recordings.
Have you ever tried to play DSD 128 and DSD 256 files?
Do they have any background noise in the very soft parts of the songs (you have to use headphones and set the volume very loud to notice)?

You can find free DSD files in the Native DSD website:

https://www.nativedsd.com/information/welcome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back