Audio-gd R2R DAC Thread
Jul 31, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #407 of 1,272
Ah, that’s interesting. I must look into that. Do you reckon the Singxer improves the sound as well?
Yes. Slightly. But only did a test when the dac was new. Note that i added a rj45 out to my singxer f-1 and isolated the f-1 usb with both an intona and a schiit wryd. When i compared the amanero to the f-1, the intona and wyrd were aslo in the setup. Since then, i added a lps to feed the f-1 and sound quality has improved.

Jul 31, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #408 of 1,272
The Pop/signal cut issue with DSD is mainly due to large file of DSD eating up the RAM. Once I clear the RAM by using Dr. Cleaner, the issue is gone. I am now able to use iFi full isolaton.
The F-1 is supposed to do DSD512 per Jos from Magna, apparently a software upgrade but then he has not tested it for some reason, due to technical issue. Anyway, he feels the sound is not that good. I am not concerned as now there is yet no native DSD512 recordings. There is also not a lot of difference between DSD64 and dsd125 but I have not really properly compared them. I may try DSD256 tonight once I download those files.

Aug 2, 2018 at 5:33 AM Post #409 of 1,272
Hi guys,

Posted this on the R-28 thread as well but since the 1 and 2 are the same dacs essentially, may as well leave it here too.

Can anyone articulate the differences in sound character between the different NOS modes? General consensus seems to be NOS 3 preferred but why is that? Does anyone prefer either of the other two NOS modes?

Which one would you say sounds closest to the R2R-11, if you’ve heard it?

Thx

Aug 5, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #410 of 1,272
Hi guys,

Posted this on the R-28 thread as well but since the 1 and 2 are the same dacs essentially, may as well leave it here too.

Can anyone articulate the differences in sound character between the different NOS modes? General consensus seems to be NOS 3 preferred but why is that? Does anyone prefer either of the other two NOS modes?

Which one would you say sounds closest to the R2R-11, if you’ve heard it?

Thx
Here are my initial observations for my R2R-1. I have not heard the R2R-11 (I only use speakers at home..)
I have not changed the settings since then, but have not really had much listening time the past few months.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audio-gd-r2r-dac-thread.862053/page-8#post-14110388

Aug 5, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #411 of 1,272
Here are my initial observations for my R2R-1. I have not heard the R2R-11 (I only use speakers at home..)
I have not changed the settings since then, but have not really had much listening time the past few months.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audio-gd-r2r-dac-thread.862053/page-8#post-14110388

I've been meaning to find exactly those comments, which are so helpful in my scheming re the R2R 1, which I plan to purchase this fall.

Thanks for doing the basic listening/testing needed to distinguish sonic effects of the various modes...

Aug 5, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #412 of 1,272
I've had good luck using Roon's PCM up-sampling and the R28 in NOS mode. There's less overt mushiness to the sound, but still a great deal of enjoyment.

Aug 7, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #413 of 1,272
I found those comments pretty tough to follow...

I've got an R2R-1 from March and from reading that thread couldn't really discern any consistent reports about the new firmware. Too much jargon for me to follow I think. Also, there seems to be new jumper settings and accurate firmware and version 3 firmware... I'm pretty happy with my R2R-1 in OS and can't hear a difference in NOS, so maybe I'll just stick with what ain't broke...

... but it is a little broke. I occasionally get muffled/glitchy sound using the USB input. Power cycling sometimes resolves it, however switching from one sample mode to the other seems to resolve it. Never had any glitches with SPDIF, however that involves switching on another unit (Eitr), so I generally just stick with USB and switch modes if it glitches out.
Hello
I also have been searching the Forums for information on the R2R1 Firmware . I got one of the first R2R1's and I have never been fully satisfied with it , I like it but I find it to be a bit too decent , too mild . I have a few Audio dg dacs - Dac19 Mk3 , Dac19 2017 and a Reference 7 all PCM1704 and I really like them , that's why I got the R2R1 . I also have a Denafrips Ares and it is a giant killer , making the R2R1 seem restrained and mild . That's why I wanted to try the new Firmware . Well I got it tonight using the online offer from Mr Kingwa and it has made a vast improvement to the dac , it is now more forward , more real and more distinct , voices are in the room with you and everything is really clear and nice but the instruments are now a bit further back . yes it has lost some of the previous sound stage and instrument placing but it just sounds so much better . I have not changed any jumpers and presently I am using the NOS . I know this might sound silly but the Denafrips is almost always in the box as when I take it out It kind of shows up everything else . But back to the Firmware , it has woken up the R2R1 and that's what I was looking for . I think it will now give the Denafrips a good run .and I intend to keep the R2R1 as it's future proof .
Jsoun

Aug 7, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #414 of 1,272
http://www.audio-gd.com/En audio-gd.htm

Firmware update available for the R2R-1
(some beta tester preliminary comments over at the R2R-7 thread)

I did the new R2R1 Firmware update last night . unlike most I found the sound of the original R2R1 to be a bit too mild , a bit too decent and reserved . So I was looking forward to the update . I got a USB blaster on Amazon ( seller Vancouver sun ) for $9.99 and it worked perfectly . I tried to do the upgrade myself but failed , so I did it from Mr Kingwa online . First the Positive - The dac in now much more rich and forward sounding , more dynamic but still very clear , it is really transformed . Lead instruments and voices are right up front but the other instruments seem a bit further back . The not so good - That wide sound stage is gone and the ability to single out individual instrument is also not as good as before . To me the dac sounds very different , but much more to my liking . Not too bright or edgy like the ES9018 dacs , it just sounds good . But you do lose the sound stage and the jentle sound and a bit of bass . So if those things are more important to you then you should probably stay with the original firmware . For me this is the dac that I was hoping to get in the first place , I bought a Denafrips Ares just before getting the R2R1 and I thought the R2R1 would have killed it but the Denafrips Ares gave it a sound beating . The R2R1 with the new Firmware is now much more capable of competing with the Denafrips . And I am very happy because I am really a great Audio gd fan having three of their other dacs all R2R PCM 1704's .
This is my first Firmware upgrade so I was very nervous , not wanting to spoil what I had but I am very happy that I did it . It has transformed the dac , a completely new sound .
I hope this helps

Aug 7, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #416 of 1,272
I have written my first impressions about r2r 1 - v2 firmware on r2r 7 thread.
First time i got no bass impact that i used to, but that is could be because my ear problem sometimes feels me a little deafened so that get exhausted to listen macro-dynamics, or my computer barely likely to happen that falsify signal being not right. The latter is very true indeed.

I feel now like v2 way more emotional and lush than v1. Very impressive.
Also depth and imaging, clarity is greater than ever before.

I can clear up all of thought on my mind:
1. Mids has more clarity and its presence but no hearing of shouting or fartiguing -> most amazing in this update.
2. High is definitely more resolving and smooth.
3. Pop from changing between different sampling is gone on NOS mode in v1.
4. Bass seems tighter but having same impact as they were v1.
5. Headphone give same experience as speakers.

Aug 7, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #417 of 1,272
8XOS has amazing clarity and organic sound...but the NOS 1 mode gets me more into the music despite slightly less resolution and dryness...

Aug 8, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #418 of 1,272
8XOS has amazing clarity and organic sound...but the NOS 1 mode gets me more into the music despite slightly less resolution and dryness...
I tried NOS 3(default) with headphone setup but 8xOS seems to have more clear yet organic sound and also feel less rough.
Will try NOS 1 when go back to home.

Aug 8, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #419 of 1,272
Hello Guys,
I have the R2R-2 DAC, but I understand is the same DAC as the R2R-1 but with out the balanced outputs.
I haven't done the firmware update yet because I'm lazy and I'm ok as it is today.
I also feel that the OS mode has more air, detail and relaxed sound than the NOS mode, wich I feel drier and with a smaller soundstage.
It was a surprise for me because I was expecting the opposite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back