Audio-gd R2R DAC Thread
Aug 11, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #436 of 1,272
NOS-1 mode is closest to my R2R-11. I'm using that. Don't mind the loss of a bit of OS8X detail; it sounds more musical this way.
Hi
I also found the NOS-1 mode to be the best sounding after the Firmware update . NOS-3 sounded a little rough and not as clear and the OS-8 which sounded great at first became a bit tiring to listen to for an extended period . So I have refitted the lid and now I have a great sounding dac .
Thanks

Aug 12, 2018 at 2:24 AM Post #437 of 1,272
The ~$2.5 DACs (Yggy A2, R2R 7, Hugo2/Qutest) are a distinct step up from the mid-range DACs. The Law of Diminishing Returns applies here though, as they are often 3x the price.

Aug 25, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #446 of 1,272
Hello Guys,
There's to many pages in this thread and I cannot find if anyone has done the firmware update on the R2R-1, R2R-2 or R2R-11.
Has anyone of you done it?
If so, is there a noticeable change in the sound quality or do you just get to eliminate the poping sound when switching tracks?
I have the R2R-2, but I guess the results after updating the firmware must be similar with the R2R-1 and R2R-11.

Aug 25, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #447 of 1,272
Hello Guys,
There's to many pages in this thread and I cannot find if anyone has done the firmware update on the R2R-1, R2R-2 or R2R-11.
If so, is there a noticeable change in the sound quality or do you just get to eliminate the poping sound when switching tracks?
I have the R2R-2, but I guess the results after updating the firmware must be similar with the R2R-1 and R2R-11.
I also would like to know this, particularly for the R2R-11. I have asked here multiple times but never received a reply. I bought a blaster after getting an email from AGd saying it was simple to do. It is not simple to connect to the lower DA 8 module on the R2R-11.

Aug 25, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #448 of 1,272
I also would like to know this, particularly for the R2R-11. I have asked here multiple times but never received a reply. I bought a blaster after getting an email from AGd saying it was simple to do. It is not simple to connect to the lower DA 8 module on the R2R-11.
I've updated my R2R-1, at first it sounded like the highs came through a bit more clearly, but I very quickly acclimatized, so I can't really comment in too much detail regarding sound quality changes. I can however report that the intermittent USB based interference I experienced hasn't happened since the update.

I have however had an issue where every couple minutes there'd be an audible pop while playing music, though that seems to be a Win 10 + Amanero issue. Repairing the driver install fixed it each time it's happened.

As for the bit-rate pop, I haven't been using ASIO lately, but I do seem to remember a small pop the last time I used it.

Aug 25, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #449 of 1,272
Hello Guys,
There are two possible fw updates for the r2r 2. They require two different blasters. One is for the xilinx processors on the da-8 boards. One update per board has to be made. This update does not change the sound, but takes care of the popping issue.

The other fw update is for the altera fpga and is a welcome sound upgrade, at least for me with my r2r 7. There a 3 fpga fw variations to choose from.

I applied both fw update on my dac. And tried the 3 different fpga fw flavors. There is a smooth one, an accurate one, and one that is in between. On headphones, i really like the smooth one. For speakers, i like the accurate so i chose the accurate fw, being more a speaker guy.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #450 of 1,272
Well, now that Audio-gd has joined the R2R pool, I reckon there could be a dedicated thread since the Schiit and Denafrips guys have 'em too!

The R2R 7 thread is alive and well, and a few of us have even posted our musings on the little brother R2R 11 there, but now that the R2R 2 is out, so I figure if you've got questions, thoughts, or impressions on any of the above, let's drop 'em here.

For me personally, I've owned a few of the AGD items, including the NFB 11, 15.32, 10.33, and 29. A few months ago, I happened onto a FS thread for a like new R2R 11, the new entry level combo unit built on a ladder design.

To say I was impressed would be a large understatement. I know that the AGD stuff represents an excellent value in our community, but I wasn't prepared for the capability of that unit. Truth be told, it held it's own easily against my previous stack, $900 DAC feeding a $700 headamp.

Since I like to be informed on the design philosophy behind my favorite gear, I went to the manufacturer's website and lo and behold Mr. Kingwa had just released a mid-level R2R DAC that slides in between the flagship R2R 7 and R2R 11. I'm pretty sure the last time I paid full-price for a piece of gear was a few years ago, and based on my impressions with the little brother, I ponied up pretty quickly for the new R2R 2 and C-2 amp stack. Very unlike me!

The R2R 2 is a SE DAC built on 2 of the AGD DA-8 R2R modules. It can handle everything from redbook to DSD and can switch from NOS to OS modes at the push of a button, a feature only found on DACs coming in at a much healthier price point thus far. The C2 is the SE amplification equivalent from Mr. Kingwa, hitting higher than the entry level 11 gear, but not up to the flagship stuff.

I'm gonna slow down with impressions right here, but I'll tell you that I'm more impressed with this stack than the Gumby/Mjo2 stack along with most of the desktop gear I've had that retails under $1k individually. I know that's blasphemy around these parts, but that's how I hear it fellas!

Hello
I did the Firmware update on my R2R1 and I have to say that it has been transformed . For me it sounded a bit weak and very moderate at first . Now it's much more dynamic and clear and really nice . I must mention that when I asked Mr Kingwa about the update he thought that I had a R2R2 and he told me that the update was not yet ready for the R2r2 . But when I reminded him that I had the R2R1 he sent me the file . So I think that the updates may be different for the R2R1 and the R2R2 . You should email them .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back