Audio-gd R2R DAC Thread
Jul 18, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #377 of 1,272
Anyone know how the R2R 1 compare vs the Gumby?
I'm curious to hear any comparisons too. The gumby was on my short list when I got the R2R-1, but a major contributor was the size of the gumby, as it simply doesn't fit neatly under a pair of monitor stands like my R2R/NFB combo does.

Jul 19, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #379 of 1,272
I have a couple questions for any who own the R2R 1 or R2R 2:
  1. Back-of-unit photo for R2R 1 shows what looks like a spacer/cover where "IS2" input jack should be -- vs photo of R2R 2 showing what looks like a working IS2 input jack. Does the R2R 1 have a working IS2 input jack?
  2. And a lame/noob question: does hdmi = IS2.H = IS2? I ask because I might someday get a USB S/PDIF converter w/HDMI or IS2.H output, and need to know if it would work on the R2R 1 w/o modification.
Thanks!

Jul 19, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #380 of 1,272
http://www.audio-gd.com/En audio-gd.htm

Firmware update available for the R2R-1
(some beta tester preliminary comments over at the R2R-7 thread)
I found those comments pretty tough to follow...

I've got an R2R-1 from March and from reading that thread couldn't really discern any consistent reports about the new firmware. Too much jargon for me to follow I think. Also, there seems to be new jumper settings and accurate firmware and version 3 firmware... I'm pretty happy with my R2R-1 in OS and can't hear a difference in NOS, so maybe I'll just stick with what ain't broke...

... but it is a little broke. I occasionally get muffled/glitchy sound using the USB input. Power cycling sometimes resolves it, however switching from one sample mode to the other seems to resolve it. Never had any glitches with SPDIF, however that involves switching on another unit (Eitr), so I generally just stick with USB and switch modes if it glitches out.

Jul 19, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #381 of 1,272
I found those comments pretty tough to follow...

I've got an R2R-1 from March and from reading that thread couldn't really discern any consistent reports about the new firmware. Too much jargon for me to follow I think. Also, there seems to be new jumper settings and accurate firmware and version 3 firmware... I'm pretty happy with my R2R-1 in OS and can't hear a difference in NOS, so maybe I'll just stick with what ain't broke...

... but it is a little broke. I occasionally get muffled/glitchy sound using the USB input. Power cycling sometimes resolves it, however switching from one sample mode to the other seems to resolve it. Never had any glitches with SPDIF, however that involves switching on another unit (Eitr), so I generally just stick with USB and switch modes if it glitches out.
The new fw will fix those issues with usb apparently, based in the feedbacks.

Jul 27, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #382 of 1,272
Hello again. Have been listening my new setup for some time. Recently I've changed jumpers to NOS mode 1. And that's my fit ! :) Deeper/tighter bass vocals have more warmth/tube like sound. Highs also very good. Soundstage is a bit narrowwer than OSx8, but is deeper. Now this thing sounds really like tube :)
One more thing, for good listening session you need to warm this thing. I always run the unit playing some music for like 1H before I start real listening. Sound changes in plus when unit is warm.
Some candy for you guys.

IMG_20180727_212417.jpg IMG_20180727_212404.jpg

Jul 27, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #383 of 1,272
Can anyone explain what is in the 2018 R2R-1, R2R-7 firmware update? I doubt I'm going to perform the update since I need to buy a USB blaster just to implement it. But I'm very curious to know how much the sound is changing.

Jul 28, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #387 of 1,272
Can I ask why the SYS is in the chain?

Of course you can ask. :)

The main reason... When I lean back and listen to music, I cannot easily reach the volume control on the amp. The amp is pretty heavy and sitting on a shelf that is pushed back. On the other hand, the DAC is very light and I can pull it along with the SYS to the front of the desk where I can easily reach it without changing my position.

And there is a another reason I like to use a volume control coming out of a DAC. Every time I roll in different tubes, the gain of the amp changes, sometimes significantly. In the picture, the volume control for this particular configuration, which has a lot of gain, is set for about 8 o'clock which is the loudest setting I am comfortable with using these tubes. But from no sound to 8 o'clock there is very little travel, so fine adjustments in volume are difficult to make. With the SYS in the chain and the amp volume set at 8 o'clock, I have the full range of the SYS volume control available to me and it is much easier to make precise adjustments.

Jul 28, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #388 of 1,272
Hello again. Have been listening my new setup for some time. Recently I've changed jumpers to NOS mode 1. And that's my fit ! :) Deeper/tighter bass vocals have more warmth/tube like sound. Highs also very good. Soundstage is a bit narrowwer than OSx8, but is deeper. Now this thing sounds really like tube :)
One more thing, for good listening session you need to warm this thing. I always run the unit playing some music for like 1H before I start real listening. Sound changes in plus when unit is warm.
Some candy for you guys.

thats awesome man. im so happy with my questyle CMA400i but I am just selling it to get an R2R-1 because i loved the R2R11 so much.
do you use the balanced outputs or the Single ended ones? my equipment is all SE now but if the unit sounds good with all SE equipment then i dont mind having the balanced mode for future updates and changes.

edit: I see that you are all ACSS. good for you.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 6:27 AM Post #389 of 1,272
thats awesome man. im so happy with my questyle CMA400i but I am just selling it to get an R2R-1 because i loved the R2R11 so much.
do you use the balanced outputs or the Single ended ones? my equipment is all SE now but if the unit sounds good with all SE equipment then i dont mind having the balanced mode for future updates and changes.

edit: I see that you are all ACSS. good for you.

Yes I'm using ACSS but currently I'm waiting for xlr interconnects to arrive. I want to try it, maybe I will like it more. RCA vs ACSS for me is quite obvious to choose. ACSS sounds more neutral flat and transparent with a bit more details. RCA connection gives you more like V shaped sound (bit its not really V ,the difference is very very subtle) also through RCA sound is less transparent and "airy" Still waiting for testing this thing with XLR. Will report my thoughts.
Cheers :)

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #390 of 1,272
Yes I'm using ACSS but currently I'm waiting for xlr interconnects to arrive. I want to try it, maybe I will like it more. RCA vs ACSS for me is quite obvious to choose. ACSS sounds more neutral flat and transparent with a bit more details. RCA connection gives you more like V shaped sound (bit its not really V ,the difference is very very subtle) also through RCA sound is less transparent and "airy" Still waiting for testing this thing with XLR. Will report my thoughts.
Cheers :)

Been using ACSS interconnect for 2 months now and thinking of getting XLR cables as well. Hope you'll provide your review on that. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back