Audio-gd R2R DAC Thread
Jul 30, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #393 of 1,272
BTW, what’s up with the sticker at the corner that stated warranty card, tear void” Is this a joke? One must open up the chassis to change jumpers so it cannot void the warranty. Anyone else has this sticker?

Jul 30, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #394 of 1,272
BTW, what’s up with the sticker at the corner that stated warranty card, tear void” Is this a joke? One must open up the chassis to change jumpers so it cannot void the warranty. Anyone else has this sticker?
Once you have confirmed everything is ok with the dac, you can break it. Before that, if the dac is found defective during the first two weeks, it can be returned and shipping will be covered 100% and a new unit will be sent to you. Once the seal is broken, you pay a part of the shipping back and only that during the first year (and they repair the unit). Then, after the first year, you pay for the shipping both ways.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #396 of 1,272
Hmm, the estimate sticker is already torn. And so I should not open it until after 2 weeks to change jumpers and do BNC change if needed ?
It just for the intial warranty with audio-gd In case the gear is damaged during shipping or DOA. After that, a rapid failure is very unlikely. So don't worry about this. If ever you have to return the dac, it will cost you a part part the shipping back to China. BUT, since you bought from Magna, you probably should deal with them at first. They have to conform to European law. So don't worry. Open the dac, it won't change a thing now.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #398 of 1,272
Joe from Magna did state the warranty is under them so I would ship to Holland directly for any repairs etc. He said 1st year free shipping (like Kingwa), 2nd year is 50% shipping, and then 3rd to 10th yr need to pay shipping, similar to Kingwa except Kingwa would not pay shipping by second year. I suppose the warranty tape is of little importance. It is working fine, though it does not show it can do DSD 512, but that could be my old MAC's issue. I have tested AES and USB. I will test RCA later. I can't test the others as I have no I2S input or optical.

Jul 30, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #399 of 1,272
One more thing, wait for 24 hours before judging of the sound quality. My unit was horrible at first.
I wouldn't say it is horrible, definitely already improved (with the last few hrs of playing ) compared with my cheap <$1000 Delta sign DAC. Few horrible recordings I tried is not as horrible anymore, there is more definition, less glare and less edgy, better sound stage, amazing at times if recording is great. Will see....

Jul 30, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #400 of 1,272
Joe from Magna did state the warranty is under them so I would ship to Holland directly for any repairs etc. He said 1st year free shipping (like Kingwa), 2nd year is 50% shipping, and then 3rd to 10th yr need to pay shipping, similar to Kingwa except Kingwa would not pay shipping by second year. I suppose the warranty tape is of little importance. It is working fine, though it does not show it can do DSD 512, but that could be my old MAC's issue. I have tested AES and USB. I will test RCA later. I can't test the others as I have no I2S input or optical.
Dsd512 may just be possible on pc. Don't worry about sound quality fluctuations. Give it a good 350 hours. And then another one! Put a jumper to disable the high-exact mode on usb, it should help. See the manual for the new fw. [edit] i just checked, it's the s2 jumper for usb.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #401 of 1,272
The manual u mean on Kingwa’s site ? What is high exact mode? Also is default PLL off ? Not sure it matters with using USB, not I2S. I am now able to use full isolation from my iFi galvanic but before with the old DAC I couldn’t but as I type this now, I hear signal drops out for DSD again. No issue with PCM though. With DSD there random pops/sparks coming out. It could also be audirvana issue. Also there are sparkling sounds when pushing buttons on audirvana or changing albums. Is this normal ? I think it was there before but it is now much loude with audio-gd

Jul 31, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #402 of 1,272
Been using my R2R-1 for a month now. I re-read everything from the page 1 to pick-up few things that I didn't understand back then, especially on NOS/OS mode. Haven't opened up the lid to play around with it though.

I bought my unit with TXCO upgrades and noticed some of us here had USB isolator upgrade as well. I remember there's no such option offered for the USB isolator option on AGD website. Looks like I missed that part.

Jul 31, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #403 of 1,272
The manual u mean on Kingwa’s site ? What is high exact mode? Also is default PLL off ? Not sure it matters with using USB, not I2S. I am now able to use full isolation from my iFi galvanic but before with the old DAC I couldn’t but as I type this now, I hear signal drops out for DSD again. No issue with PCM though. With DSD there random pops/sparks coming out. It could also be audirvana issue. Also there are sparkling sounds when pushing buttons on audirvana or changing albums. Is this normal ? I think it was there before but it is now much loude with audio-gd
Could be the ifi. Try taking it out. I don!t have any issue with dsd256. Never tried dsd512. Not sure again if dsd512 is possible/stable on a mac using the f-1. Try using a jumper on s2. This will turn off the high exact mode. This mode can be used but only once your f-1 has stabilized (this won't tolerate much jitter but will play better with a perfect source). Post on the r2r 7 thrread, you will get more assistance.

Jul 31, 2018 at 6:34 AM Post #404 of 1,272
Could be the ifi. Try taking it out. I don!t have any issue with dsd256. Never tried dsd512. Not sure again if dsd512 is possible/stable on a mac using the f-1. Try using a jumper on s2. This will turn off the high exact mode. This mode can be used but only once your f-1 has stabilized (this won't tolerate much jitter but will play better with a perfect source). Post on the r2r 7 thrread, you will get more assistance.
How are you getting DSD256 on the Mac? Since Mac only supports DoP (not direct native DSD) the most I’ve been able to get with the R-28 (essentially the R2R-1) is DSD128 on Audirvana+.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back