Audio-gd R2R DAC Thread
Apr 27, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #226 of 1,272
There starting to be a consensus that the r2r 7 sounds better with dithering on (dither pins). See the r2r 7 thread. This should apply to the r2r 1 as well. Some also prefer it with pplen on. To try it, just put a jumper on the corresponding pins. Don't forget to turn off the dac and disconnect the power chord before you do this.

Yeah, tbh, I kinda avoided opening up my DAC and fiddling with the jumpers mostly because I had no idea what I was doing or what the actual impact was going to be. For instance, the different modes are just numbered 1-3 without understand what was changing technically. Besides, Kingwa told me that mode 1 was default while users in the thread were saying mode 3 was the default, and that mode 1 sounded way better. Not only did I not want to get involved in trial and error, but apparently my DAC is already set-up "correctly".

Also, still have no idea what PLL is or why I would or wouldn't want it active. I do think the display dimmer should be on by default, so that is the one thing I would do fo sho if and when I decide to open up the R2R 1.

I recently received a Periapt balanced cable for my Clear Pro's, so I'm finally able to hear them fully balanced and woah. R2R-1 -> NFB-1 -> Clear's is one hell of a combination. Regardless of the conversation that revolves around the virtues of balanced, there's something to be said for utilizing the full circuitry of a fully balanced chain.

I'm so damn happy with this setup. Not sure what else I can add to that atm :)

Yeah, this obsession (for me) with balanced outs is pretty recent and has escalated quickly. Originally caught the bug from my DAP, which has excellent balanced outs. Then, after moving from a DAC/amp combo to separate components and sorta falling in love with the Cavalli amps, the idea of an analog sounding balanced DAC was too tempting to ignore.

I know it isn't balanced but I'm tempted to add the R2R 2 to my living room system. It just sounds so damn smooth.

Apr 27, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #227 of 1,272
@PopZeus there is a link somewhere back for PLL explanation so it makes sense to me and I have it on.
Yeah those nos modes aren't explained, it just says different sound flavors, but it's worth a try and it's nothing difficult to do.
Happy listening

Apr 27, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #228 of 1,272
Thanks @TiborM! Yeah, I did a little digging. Sounds like something that would make sense to try out. The only thing I'm not sure about are the NOS modes.

I'm really digging the bigger difference between NOS and default 8x OS. While my headphone chain is plenty detailed (fully balanced) and prefers the overtones that NOS bring out, my speaker chain isn't as detailed (RCA only) so it needs all the additional deets that maximum OS brings. It still sounds rich and involving and like nothing else digital I'm used to.

May 1, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #230 of 1,272
There starting to be a consensus that the r2r 7 sounds better with dithering on (dither pins). See the r2r 7 thread. This should apply to the r2r 1 as well. Some also prefer it with pplen on. To try it, just put a jumper on the corresponding pins. Don't forget to turn off the dac and disconnect the power chord before you do this.

Thanks for the insight!!!

I first tried the S2 DITH jumper and yup it was worth opening up the R2R 1. Blacker more dynamic sound. For my set up I wouldn't consider taking jumper off. I almost put the lid back on thinking PLL is not something I need but decided to give it the benefit of the doubt. Glad I did, it sharpened things up and added fullness.

Last edited:
May 1, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #233 of 1,272
Lol how come no one is selling these darn things ?
It only came out about 6 months ago... most units probably aren't even up to operating temperature yet :smirk:

May 1, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #236 of 1,272
I'll buy yours hit me up when you decide to upgrade to dcs puccinni
The what? But no, I'm happy with mine and wouldn't be selling it off cheap... Just order one from AGD. There aren't many in the wild and I doubt anyone's gonna sell for a loss right away. Sellers market if anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back