Audio-gd R2R DAC Thread
May 15, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #256 of 1,272
http://www.audio-gd.com/R2Rupdate2.htm

According to the procedure (first picture), space is tight indeed. I would just chop off platic from the right side if the flat cable. If nothing else in the way besides this capacitor on the right, that should do it.
The picture is misleading. It only shows the top module that needs updating. You can use the pictured cable to connect to the top module without any obstructions. It is the module below that has a problem. The upright capacitors to the left of the pins make it impossible to connect to the lower module with pictured cable. What Kingwa is suggesting I think is using individual DuPont female to female wires to connect each of the 5x2 pins on the lower module to the corresponding pins on the blaster. I think a tweezer will be needed. The recommended blaster kit on EBay has the cable pictured but not the individual wires I think are needed for the lower module (about US $3 on EBay).

May 15, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #257 of 1,272
The picture is misleading. It only shows the top module that needs updating. You can use the pictured cable to connect to the top module without any obstructions. It is the module below that has a problem. The upright capacitors to the left of the pins make it impossible to connect to the lower module with pictured cable. What Kingwa is suggesting I think is using individual DuPont female to female wires to connect each of the 5x2 pins on the lower module to the corresponding pins on the blaster. I think a tweezer will be needed. The recommended blaster kit on EBay has the cable pictured but not the individual wires I think are needed for the lower module (about US $3 on EBay).
Don't srew up with pin matching then!

Isn't it possible to unscrew the da-8 modules?

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #259 of 1,272
1. DSD noise issue. This has now been confirmed by several members, and is therefore, for me, a known fault with the R2R-11. It has nothing to do with the fact that it’s a NOS dac, because plenty other NOS dacs don’t have this issue.

It seems to be a problem only with R2R-11. My R2R-1 is dead silent. No noises whatsoever in both OS and NOS modes. Tested with Stax SR-007 and Hifiman HE-6. My configuration:

PC (DSF files) -> Foobar (Output mode: DSD only; Output: DSD: WASAPI (both push and event); no processing) -> R2R-1 (oversampling and non-oversampling modes)

May 16, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #260 of 1,272
It seems to be a problem only with R2R-11. My R2R-1 is dead silent. No noises whatsoever in both OS and NOS modes. Tested with Stax SR-007 and Hifiman HE-6. My configuration:

PC (DSF files) -> Foobar (Output mode: DSD only; Output: DSD: WASAPI (both push and event); no processing) -> R2R-1 (oversampling and non-oversampling modes)
That’s very good to know indeed!

May 21, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #261 of 1,272
Sorry to hear about your issues, but at least you’ve come to the right place. Let me summarize the current situation for you so you’re caught up:

1. DSD noise issue. This has now been confirmed by several members, and is therefore, for me, a known fault with the R2R-11. It has nothing to do with the fact that it’s a NOS dac, because plenty other NOS dacs don’t have this issue. It’s simply a hardware fault that wasn’t picked up in testing, and is unlikely to be resolved by AGD because they refuse to acknowledge the issue. Like you I love the sound of the R2R-11, and as a ladder dac I’m aware it is optimized for PCM playback. In fact I’ve been testing DSD converted to high-res (24-176) PCM with the R2R, and indeed the PCM files sound better to me than native DSD.

This leaves me with two options: convert all my DSD files to PCM and enjoy them in high quality with the R2R-11, or sell the R2R-11 and buy a proper DSD-capable dac. I haven’t decided which option I’ll take, but I’m in no rush to sell because frankly it’s the best sounding all-in-one under $1000. When I’m ready to upgrade my sources, I’ll reconsider it then.

2. Pops between sample rate changes. This has allegedly been resolved with a firmware update (that’s actually quite difficult to apply). I’ll be getting my R2R-11 updated by my local supplier shortly, and will report back then.

3. DSD lower volume than PCM. I’m afraid that’s not an R2R-11 fault, but actually a ‘feature’ of most DSD playback software. DSDs are generally recorded with -6dB level to avoid clipping, and this is what you’re hearing. When you convert DSD to PCM you have the choice of restoring the 6dB of ‘lost’ volume, and therefore your PCM files should sound significantly louder at the same volume level on your amp.

HTH.
gLer, thanks for your reply.

I like the overall sound of R2R, but I like it even better with DSD. The only complaint I have is the background noise with some recordings.
Concerning the DSD level, it drops down more, relatively to PCM, then the other DACs I have with Sabre chip. It is OK if my playlist have DSD only, but for mixed PCM/DSD playlists it is annoying.
I use JRiver media center that can convert to PCM on the fly, so there is no need to convert the files. This could resolve the level issue for mixed playlists.

I suggest you to try JRiver before converting your DSD library. I believe Korg Audiogate is capable to convert DSD to PCM in real time. Other player can do it, as well. Like foobar2000.
Actually, it is easier to get a player that converts DSD to PCM than getting one that streams DSD to the DAC.

I am trying to get the USB Blaster to update my unit firmware and hopefully, the pop issue will go away.

Thanks.

Elder

May 21, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #263 of 1,272
20180521_115002 (Medium).jpg
This photo shows the problem.

May 21, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #265 of 1,272

This photo shows the problem.
I am not making much progress regarding updating the R2R 11 firmware. The last response to my emails was to send a picture of the blaster with the various cables unattached laying next to it and the same picture they have in the instructions with the ribbon cable attached to the top module. This was the written response:

"The blaster include the wires already mark the defined name, and we also mark the pins defined.
If you have not that wires, can you push the block cap and push into the default wires?"

Anyone know what this means?
cleardot.gif

May 21, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #266 of 1,272
I am not making much progress regarding updating the R2R 11 firmware. The last response to my emails was to send a picture of the blaster with the various cables unattached laying next to it and the same picture they have in the instructions with the ribbon cable attached to the top module. This was the written response:

"The blaster include the wires already mark the defined name, and we also mark the pins defined.
If you have not that wires, can you push the block cap and push into the default wires?"

Anyone know what this means?
cleardot.gif
It means that one of the wires supplied with the blaster should allow acces to the pins, which are identified on the pcb, i assume. If no cable can do the job, he suggests to genlty push away the capacitor blocking the way.

May 21, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #267 of 1,272
Just placed an order for R2R-1 to be used with my NFB-1AMP. Now I'm not sure whether to get XLR cable or AGD's ACSS cable. Which one works best?

This is very unscientific, subjective reply--but here goes.

When I got my NOS 19, I agonized about whether to convert the ACSS output vs RCA. This would be far more convenient than ACSS, which would require an amp/preamp (downstream of this DAC) w/ACSS input--which I didn't have then and still don't have. Regardless, I went in search of every user comment & review I could find mentioning ACSS. This mean the epic Head-Fi DAC-19 thread (there is no thread for the NOS 19, which apparently never sold very well)...plus other headphone audio site. What I found was this:
  • Most mentions of ACCS output to an amp/preamp didn't give any detail on sonics
  • A sub-set of mentions of the ACCS output went off the deep end into electronics theory, optimization of current flow vs voltage flow through the ACCS connector, etc. Not having my electrical engineer degree, I bailed on the most technical of these comments
  • Very occasionally, someone weighed in, saying he or she had compared ACCS to RCA output and preferred one over the other. Of those who preferred ACCS, I read things like:
    • Clearer than RCA
    • More detailed than RCA
    • More "accurate" than RCA
    • Somewhat brighter than RCA
Finally, I'd hear enough and decided to not use ACCS. My reason is simple: I started listening to NOS multibit, then regular OS multibit, precisely to get away from delta-sigma DACs that are more detailed, "accurate," and somewhat brighter (than multibit).

Maybe this is just my ignorance speaking, but I've been pretty happy without ACCS...

May 21, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #268 of 1,272
i have AGD NFB-1AMP and denafrips ARES both balanced and i similarly agonized over ACSS and i really wantd to get R2R1 just so i can see what ACSS is about. i think if you have two AGD equipment u owe it to yourself to try the ACSS. i might still do that just for the curiosity because denafrips is already a hell of a DAC and i love it. i do miss my R2R11 tho.

Last edited:
May 21, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #269 of 1,272
I tend to regard ACSS like a proprietary connection type, even if technically it's open source. Nobody that I'm aware of uses it besides Audio-gd. So, if I was planning on investing in more Audio-gd gear downstream, I'd consider investing in it, but truth be told, I'm good with my pre/amp/receiver situation right now. I'm more into the idea of getting an R2R 2 for my living room, but that's way off in the future, once I move into a bigger place with better acoustics.

May 22, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #270 of 1,272
i have AGD NFB-1AMP and denafrips ARES both balanced and i similarly agonized over ACSS and i really wantd to get R2R1 just so i can see what ACSS is about. i think if you have two AGD equipment u owe it to yourself to try the ACSS. i might still do that just for the curiosity because denafrips is already a hell of a DAC and i love it. i do miss my R2R11 tho.

I was about ordering nfb1 yesterday. I don't know if get nfb1 or cayin iha6. In the future i would like to add ares to the chain. At the moment i have r2r 11... Why you say you miss r2r 11? Do you mean as a dac? How does it compare to ares? Or also as an amp? I am using gilmore lite mk2 atm and i find much warmer thant audio gd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back