Audio-gd R2R DAC Thread
May 22, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #271 of 1,272
Just placed an order for R2R-1 to be used with my NFB-1AMP. Now I'm not sure whether to get XLR cable or AGD's ACSS cable. Which one works best?
I asked Audio Gd about the difference between the ACSS connection and the XLR connection, when connecting R2R 1 with the NFB-1 AMP. I've reproduced their reply below.
"ACSS connect can give them offer the most neutral sound , less sound coloration and less sensitivity on the cable quality. The XLR connect can effect the sound flavor by the cable quality and configure , some cable can make the sound dynamic or speed or more smoother or warmer sound. I am advice use the ACSS as standard, if you like to try the XLR cable you can had a regular to judge the sound ."
I've been using the acss connection between my R2R 1 and NFB-1 and the combo (HD800S) sounds very neutral and has excellent low level details even during loud passages.

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #273 of 1,272
My R2R 1 runs silent. But I also upgraded the USB module so I'm not sure if that might make a difference.

May 22, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #274 of 1,272
Anyone know any direct competitors to the R2R 1? Wasn't fan of Schiit's multibit but I'm willing to give R2R a shot again as even some of the best DS DAC's really sound a touch too dry and analytical for me sometimes, ideal for in the studio or how to listen a track truly sounds in it's original form, but not really the kind of signature where you can lose yourself in.

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #275 of 1,272
Anyone know any direct competitors to the R2R 1? Wasn't fan of Schiit's multibit but I'm willing to give R2R a shot again as even some of the best DS DAC's really sound a touch too dry and analytical for me sometimes, ideal for in the studio or how to listen a track truly sounds in it's original form, but not really the kind of signature where you can lose yourself in.

maybe ares denafrips.. metrum amethyst but it's pricey. my r2r 11 is for sale.. just saying.

May 22, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #276 of 1,272
Hi, i am a newbie on this forum and posted the following question in the introductory thread but no one replied so i am asking here, i hope it is ok with you guys.

I am (was) a proud owner of a new Audio GD R2R-2 DAC, bought in February 2018. It has played music flawlessly for 2 months when it decides to stop producing sound, no matter the inputs used (usb, toslink, etc) or cables. Power was well going through the unit, but no sound coming out. I was really disappointed to have my unit broken because the sound was lovely to my taste, a perfect DAC paired with my HE-560 headphones and MZ2 Linear Tube Audio amp.

After writing to Kingwa, he told me to send back the unit to him. Shipping took 3 weeks, and Audio GD has received it a week ago. I wrote to him and his latest reply is "our technician will check it as soon as possible".

Does any of you had to return a product to Audio GD in China ? How long it took before you had your unit repaired and sent back to you ? Thanks for you help.

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 5:49 AM Post #279 of 1,272
On the site of AudioGD, if I'm not mistaken there were new firmware R2R 1 .
Is it so?
Where can I find them?
There is a new firmware for the da-8 boards. The update procedure needs to be applied 4 times, once per board. Don't forget to turn of the computer AND dac when changing connection from one board to the other.

Write to Kingwa to get the firmware.

May 23, 2018 at 5:57 AM Post #280 of 1,272
Hi, i am a newbie on this forum and posted the following question in the introductory thread but no one replied so i am asking here, i hope it is ok with you guys.

I am (was) a proud owner of a new Audio GD R2R-2 DAC, bought in February 2018. It has played music flawlessly for 2 months when it decides to stop producing sound, no matter the inputs used (usb, toslink, etc) or cables. Power was well going through the unit, but no sound coming out. I was really disappointed to have my unit broken because the sound was lovely to my taste, a perfect DAC paired with my HE-560 headphones and MZ2 Linear Tube Audio amp.

After writing to Kingwa, he told me to send back the unit to him. Shipping took 3 weeks, and Audio GD has received it a week ago. I wrote to him and his latest reply is "our technician will check it as soon as possible".

Does any of you had to return a product to Audio GD in China ? How long it took before you had your unit repaired and sent back to you ? Thanks for you help.
This seems to indicate a failure at the input or dsp level. One thing very important is to never forget to turn off the dac of when connecting/disconnecting wires, most especially with the coax input.

People have very rarely sent a unit back. You are the first i am aware of in months, audio-gd is most often quick to proceed in general.

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #281 of 1,272
This seems to indicate a failure at the input or dsp level. One thing very important is to never forget to turn off the dac of when connecting/disconnecting wires, most especially with the coax input.

People have very rarely sent a unit back. You are the first i am aware of in months, audio-gd is most often quick to proceed in general.

Good to know that i am one of the few who had to return it. Hopefully they will be quick and will return the unit soon so i can enjoy my music again.

May 23, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #283 of 1,272
Hopefully. I can't live without a dac for a long time so i always keep a spare. Same from amps.

Yeah i have a spare dac, an old Beresford 7520. The sound quality is really far from what i had recently with my R2R-2, so i'll be patient and wait for Audio gd to return my unit.

May 24, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #284 of 1,272
Guys, please tell me!
Someone tried to listen to him in DSD_Native mode via Linux?

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linu...stable.git/tree/sound/usb/quirks.c?h=v4.14.43
case USB_ID(0x16d0, 0x071a): /* Amanero - Combo384 */
case USB_ID(0x16d0, 0x0a23):
if (fp->altsetting == 2)
return SNDRV_PCM_FMTBIT_DSD_U32_BE;
break;
What are the parameters USB_ID at this DAC?

http://digitall.in.ua/dsd-native-support-dacs/

If you need, i can sent to you version volumio for PC with DSD_Native support!
Or u can try https://www.daphile.com/firmware/stable/CHANGES
2017-09-21 version 17.09 (x86_64, x86_64-rt & i486) changes:
- CD ripping metadata fetch uses now FreeDB if no other metadata is available
- CD ripping album cover fetch improved with Glyr
- DSD native mode support added for the following DACs:
- Oppo UDP-205 (USB ID:0x22d9,0x0461)
- New firmware of Amanero Combo384 (USB ID:0x16d0,0x0a23)
- SMSL M8A (USB ID:0x152a,0x85dd)
- LMS update to Sep 15th, 2017 Git version (d424bbe)
- Kernel update to 4.9.51 and 4.9.51-rt37
- Some updates and bug fixes

May 24, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #285 of 1,272
http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/R2R1/R2R1EN.htm
R2R 1
Does this DAC have clicks in the sound when switching formats (DSD - PCM)?

Yes. It clicks/pops in these situations:

- From DSD to PCM
- From PCM 88.2 to PCM 44.1
- On the first track in the playlist or doing a fast forward or stop

It does not click/pop between tracks with the same format.

Click/pop is almost inaudible in non-oversampling mode. It is clearly audible in oversampling mode.

Testing procedure:

- ‘Artificial’ playlist built containing mixed audio formats DSD-64, PCM 88.2 (Flac) and PCM 44.1 (Flac). Very well recorded tracks from Chesky Records
- PC -> Foobar. DSD Output: DSD only. No processing. WASAPI (push and event). 32 bits. -> Audio-GD R2R 1 USB Amanero upgraded (isolated, non-powered) Firmware not updated
- Stax SR-007, Hifiman HE6, Focal Elear

Personally, I have settled on the NOS mode and use to listen to full albums with the same, consistent format, so the click/pop is not an issue. That said, I am thinking about going through the firmware update process, but I am so lazy ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back