Audio-gd R2R DAC Thread
Apr 22, 2018 at 2:39 AM Post #212 of 1,272
Take a look at the user manual http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/R2R1/R2R1EN_Use.htm
My R2R came with *no* jumpers installed at all, so:
8x oversample and NOS mode 3; inactive PLL.

I've added a total of 4 jumpers to get
8x oversample, NOS mode 1, active PLL and auto-off display after 7s.

Hi Arielext,
What are the steps required to implement the auto off display after 7s. I could not find it in the audio Gd website. Thanks.

Apr 22, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #213 of 1,272
Hi Arielext,
What are the steps required to implement the auto off display after 7s. I could not find it in the audio Gd website. Thanks.

In case anyone is wondering; the R2R-1DAC can 'shut off' the display as well, though it is never mentioned anywhere on the audio-gd site.
Jos from magnahifi helped me out and I'll share it here; just place a jumper on the 2 pins as seen below.

Now my audio-gd stack just shows 2 simple '-' until it is time to change anything :)

Apr 23, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #216 of 1,272
Hello Guys,
Has anyone tried any USB converter with the R2R-2 DAC?

I mean a device to convert the USB signal from a computer into a I2S (HDMI) or SPDIF (Coaxial) signal. A device like L.K.S. USB-100, Gustard U-12, Schiit Eitr, Singer SU-1, Mutec, etc.

If someone did it, wich one did you try? what were the changes on sound quality? was it worthwhile?

Apr 23, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #217 of 1,272
Hello Guys,

I mean a device to convert the USB signal from a computer into a I2S (HDMI) or SPDIF (Coaxial) signal. A device like L.K.S. USB-100, Gustard U-12, Schiit Eitr, Singer SU-1, Mutec, etc.

If someone did it, wich one did you try? what were the changes on sound quality? was it worthwhile?

The answer to your question is almost (but not quite) a completely different topic for a different thread. There are so many converters out there. At any given time, some are older/in disfavor; and others are the "flavor of the month."

The other issue is that not all inputs sound equally good on many DACs that allow USB in vs coax in vs optical, HDMI, whatever. So the DAC's input circuitry & its quality become variables, as well as the converters. As if that weren't enough, there are also different cables used for each input. Many variables, many combinations.

I have 2 multibit DACs now: Audio GD DAC-19 & NOS-19...NOS is my day-to-day DAC . I used 2 other delta-sigma DACs in the past. For the last 10 years I've used Musical Fidelity converters (now up to the discontinued 24/192 model). Started out w/optical cable (which sounded better than USB straight in on the 2 delta-sigma DACs); eventually moved to coax, which sounded better on 1 d-s DAC, and still sounds better on both AGD multibits.

I started out w/an inexpensive Billy Jeans cable, which I was happy with. Then ~3 years ago upgraded to a (for me) pricey silver coax cable, the Oyaide R-510. Man, that was IT. Sound got even better.

Sure, I'm restricted to 96 kHz hi rez when using coax instead of USB straight in. Doesn't matter to me...have just 2-3 high-rez files.

All this may change, of course, if I find that USB sounds better on my next DAC, which almost certainly will be the R2R 1. Then again, even if USB in sounds better, there are USB-to-USB re-timers/decrapify'ers out there that are praised for for improving sound. So my search for the sonic holy grail will never end...

Apr 23, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #218 of 1,272
Hello Guys,

I made a post concerning this... I found the current Audio GD Amanero USB with the optional isolation module is excellent....

Apr 24, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #219 of 1,272
I made a post concerning this... I found the current Audio GD Amanero USB with the optional isolation module is excellent....
+1
I am now selling my Singxer F1, I do not need it with the R2R11

Apr 24, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #220 of 1,272
I couldn't hear any improvement using an eitr with my R2R1 that has the USB isolator upgrade. Contrast that to my mimby which benefited greatly.

Apr 24, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #221 of 1,272
I couldn't hear any improvement using an eitr with my R2R1 that has the USB isolator upgrade. Contrast that to my mimby which benefited greatly.
Really? Well I don´t have the isolator upgrade, but ma Casea Aquila is definitely more musical and also sound has more body, amanero is very lightweight. :)

Apr 26, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #222 of 1,272
I saw on the Audio-GD site that there is a firmware upgrade for R2R 11's shipped prior to March 28. Is this something that can be installed by owners and if so how can it be obtained? It reportedly removes the popping sound when switching PCM tracks.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 12:33 AM Post #223 of 1,272
So after having left my R2R 1 on for a whole week and using it constantly, it's settled into its true sound. And it's pretty fantastic. An extremely smooth DAC but still manages to deliver micro-detail and dynamics. There were times when the DAC was burning in, that smoothness was almost smothering everything else, but that's gone now. I was worried about the noise floor as well and it's pretty black. This particular set-up, starting with the R2R 1 through the LCX to the Elex (which just arrived yesterday and is incredibly revealing), is damn near perfect if there ever was such a thing. Compared to the mimby, the tone is slightly less dynamic. (Although with the LCX and Elex, I'm good with dynamics.) But it's also less dry. Smoother. What I get from the R2R 1 instead is so much more interesting. The overall effect is far more engaging and musical. (funny term to use for, uh, music)

I'm listening to some albums that have been in my collection for a long time and I've never heard them quite like this. Not quite analog but not strictly digital either. THAT is really exciting.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 6:03 AM Post #224 of 1,272
So after having left my R2R 1 on for a whole week and using it constantly, it's settled into its true sound. And it's pretty fantastic. An extremely smooth DAC but still manages to deliver micro-detail and dynamics. There were times when the DAC was burning in, that smoothness was almost smothering everything else, but that's gone now. I was worried about the noise floor as well and it's pretty black. This particular set-up, starting with the R2R 1 through the LCX to the Elex (which just arrived yesterday and is incredibly revealing), is damn near perfect if there ever was such a thing. Compared to the mimby, the tone is slightly less dynamic. (Although with the LCX and Elex, I'm good with dynamics.) But it's also less dry. Smoother. What I get from the R2R 1 instead is so much more interesting. The overall effect is far more engaging and musical. (funny term to use for, uh, music)

I'm listening to some albums that have been in my collection for a long time and I've never heard them quite like this. Not quite analog but not strictly digital either. THAT is really exciting.
There starting to be a consensus that the r2r 7 sounds better with dithering on (dither pins). See the r2r 7 thread. This should apply to the r2r 1 as well. Some also prefer it with pplen on. To try it, just put a jumper on the corresponding pins. Don't forget to turn off the dac and disconnect the power chord before you do this.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #225 of 1,272

I recently received a Periapt balanced cable for my Clear Pro's, so I'm finally able to hear them fully balanced and woah. R2R-1 -> NFB-1 -> Clear's is one hell of a combination. Regardless of the conversation that revolves around the virtues of balanced, there's something to be said for utilizing the full circuitry of a fully balanced chain.

I'm so damn happy with this setup. Not sure what else I can add to that atm :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back