Audio-gd R2R DAC Thread
Apr 14, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #196 of 1,272
Just curious...why do you want to shut off the display?

My Audio GD DACs don't have displays (DAC-19; NOS 19), but their headphone amp, the SA-31SE, definitely does. I find the display rather inoffensive (also very informative).

Maybe the R2R 1 DAC is brighter or something I'm not getting here...?

I'm only using 1 input: USB and 1 setting: NOS
So it will state: N - 1 the whole time; not that much info there but enough to know the state so it's useful when I want to change anything but I don't find it that useful when nothing changed for a while.
The amp shows the output (H / P), the gain (L / H), the input (1-5) and volume (00-99); most of the time it's the same HL308 (T5p) again info I can live without until I want to change it.

Apr 17, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #197 of 1,272
The NFB-1Amp is such a very fine amp, pairing well with Audeze LCD-3s. The R2R1 dac is even more tempting after a good listen to the NFB-1, it's really that good. Sincere compliments and deep respect to Qinghua, what a great thing this is.
IMG_0544_sml.jpg

Apr 17, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #198 of 1,272
The NFB-1Amp is such a very fine amp, pairing well with Audeze LCD-3s. The R2R1 dac is even more tempting after a good listen to the NFB-1, it's really that good. Sincere compliments and deep respect to Qinghua, what a great thing this is.
Great pic! This amp is very much on my wishlist. Have you heard it with the R2R-1? That’s also on my wishlist, although the R2R-11 is so good, I’m thinking of just pairing that with the NFB-1 and that’s that. Also driving an LCD-3 - best headphone I’ve heard bar none (and $2k is pretty much my summit). Thx for the feedback.

Apr 17, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #199 of 1,272
My R2R-1 arrived today. Been continuing the burn-in process with music. Sounds good so far, but I'll withhold judgment for another 100 hours. Even still, initial impressions are very different from the Mimby. I'm definitely getting more harmonics with the Audio-gd. The Mimby seems less smooth, punchier, by comparison.

Edit: Kingwa mentioned that Mode 1 was default, not 3. Which one is the best for bass? This is where I get confused...

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #200 of 1,272
My R2R-1 arrived today. Been continuing the burn-in process with music. Sounds good so far, but I'll withhold judgment for another 100 hours. Even still, initial impressions are very different from the Mimby. I'm definitely getting more harmonics with the Audio-gd. The Mimby seems less smooth, punchier, by comparison.

Edit: Kingwa mentioned that Mode 1 was default, not 3. Which one is the best for bass? This is where I get confused...

I am SO interested in this DAC--and any comments you care to post about it after burn-in.

But the comment about Mode 1 being default, not 3, is confusing. Bear in mind that you can switch this from OS (oversampling multibit) to NOS (non-oversampling multibit). Previous posts (1-2 wks ago or so) stated that when in NOS, the default mode was something other than mode-1. I'm on a heavy deadline or I'd go back & check, but that's what I recall.

The poster had opened the case, set the NOS default mode to "1," and loved it.

All I really care about is NOS, so I may be mid-directing you further instead of helping. If so, my apologies.

Apr 18, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #202 of 1,272
Take a look at the user manual http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/R2R1/R2R1EN_Use.htm
My R2R came with *no* jumpers installed at all, so:
8x oversample and NOS mode 3; inactive PLL.

I've added a total of 4 jumpers to get
8x oversample, NOS mode 1, active PLL and auto-off display after 7s.

Very interesting...also pretty confusing, as these "how to set jumper" sections are (in Chinese/English).

Does "Active PPL" affect both OS ("O" on display) & NOS ("N" on display)? I'm guessing it does...

If so, what does "Active PPL" do to the sound?

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #204 of 1,272
Thanks for the heads up. I've been listening to my R2R 1 with no jumpers for about 3 weeks or so. I'll definitely try it out with PLL set to ON. I'm curious as to any change it'll make.

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #205 of 1,272
Go for it! And now, after I've read what it is, definitely! Also try other nos modes and share your findings with us :)

Apr 19, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #206 of 1,272
Made the changes last night and... I didn't really notice much difference. Two points though - I don't have golden ears and I didn't listen for that long. Who knows, I may grow to appreciate some differences and I'll turn PLL off again some time to see if I miss anything without it. For now though, it still sounds great, so back to enjoying the music!

Apr 21, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #207 of 1,272
stupid question... i have r2r 11, using it with windows and tidal hifi, which frequency do i have to choose from the adavanced options? i left 44100/16.

Apr 21, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #208 of 1,272
stupid question... i have r2r 11, using it with windows and tidal hifi, which frequency do i have to choose from the adavanced options? i left 44100/16.

The chip in this DAC goes up to 384KHz (PCM, not DSD)--so you should set your Windows to at least 192Hz/24 bits.

That way, if you ever get higher resolution files, they'll play w/no fuss.

Apr 21, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #210 of 1,272
Interesting read. How do these R2R DAC compared with pcm1704 based DAC. I have a Audio gd Reference 5, should I sell it and upgrade to R2R? Any of you gentlemen has used both type of DACs?

I'm very interested in the answer to your question. Currently own a DAC-19 & NOS 19 (the NOS design is my daily DAC--very good digital sound IMO).

My interest in the R2R 1 is partly functional (I can get 2 X RCA outputs + 1 XLR output and use all 3 simultaneously); partly curiosity about the design (field gate array, other differences); and partly a hope that the already excellent sound might be even better.

(some posts that describe sound of these new designs are quite tantalizing, though not very detailed)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back