Audio-gd R2R DAC Thread
Apr 7, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #167 of 1,272
Best way is to ask the source: @Kingwa :wink:

Actually, I did ask him via email:
  • Told him I already owned 2 Audio GD DACs in which the ACSS output has been converted to RCA at slight extra cost (so that each DAC has 2 X RCA output pairs)
  • Told him I was interested in an R2R 1 w/the same modification (coversion of ACSS to RCA is offered on the R2R 1, just as on the DAC-19/NOS 19)
  • Asked him, given that mod being done--could all 3 outputs be used simultaneously (2 X RCA; 1 X 3-pin XLR pair) ?
  • His answer:
"Yes, the R2R1 can change the ACSS to RCA , and output in same time with XLR.
Kingwa"
Maybe I need to be even more explicit...ask if all 3 outputs can be used simultaneously w/o sonic degradation?

Apr 7, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #169 of 1,272
@Pharmaboy that sounds like a smart thing to do, it still is a big amount of money you are dealing with.

Yes, it is. And I don't literally "need" a new DAC...I love the 2 Audio GD DACs I have, especially the NOS 19; and I've proven to my own satisfaction that both these DACs can output RCA signal to 2 different headphone amps simultaneously w/zero degradation.

My real impulse for getting the R2R 1 is two-fold:
  1. See how Audio GD/Kingwa is improving & evolving the NOS sound, using field programmable gate arrays + chips of his own design; and
  2. Get a 3rd live output (the XLR output)

Apr 10, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #173 of 1,272
Hello guys. Maybe somebody would help me. I'm currently changing my audio-gd nfb-2 DAC. And there is question which one would be a better option:
-Audio-gd R2R 1 (I can borrow this one for test in my setup)
-Chord 2qute (this one I have no option to borrow for tests)
I can have both for almost the same price (brand new). My current headphone amp is audio-gd NFB-1 amp, using it with hifiman he560 trough xlr connection
Maybe someone could compare these two dacs.

Apr 11, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #174 of 1,272
Hi guys, I currently run an AGD R2R-11 dac/amp but am considering stepping up to the R2R-1. Two quick questions:

1. Any pops or skips at the start of tracks or during sample rate changes? R2R-11 has these, although AGD has just released a firmware fix.

2. Any low-level noise during DSD playback? Again R2R-11 suffers from this on certain DSDs.

If I’m going to spend upward of $700 on a dac I want to make sure the above two issues are absent.

Thx in advance.

Apr 11, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #175 of 1,272
Kingwa has confirmed my R2R-1 will ship once it’s done burning in! I opted for the isolated USB port, 2nd pair of RCA outs, as well as the TCXO upgrade (not sure what this is but seems like a good idea...)

Yeah, I’m excited to get a real hi-fi balanced DAC.

Apr 11, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #176 of 1,272
Kingwa has confirmed my R2R-1 will ship once it’s done burning in! I opted for the isolated USB port, 2nd pair of RCA outs, as well as the TCXO upgrade (not sure what this is but seems like a good idea...)

Yeah, I’m excited to get a real hi-fi balanced DAC.

Oh, yeah! This is the one I'm interested in...can't wait for your comments (eventually--burn-in of AGD DACs honestly takes 100s of hrs)

Apr 11, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #178 of 1,272
Hi guys, I currently run an AGD R2R-11 dac/amp but am considering stepping up to the R2R-1. Two quick questions:

1. Any pops or skips at the start of tracks or during sample rate changes? R2R-11 has these, although AGD has just released a firmware fix.

2. Any low-level noise during DSD playback? Again R2R-11 suffers from this on certain DSDs.

If I’m going to spend upward of $700 on a dac I want to make sure the above two issues are absent.

Thx in advance.
1. None. Playback has been instantaneous and smooth for me -- over Optical and USB alike.

2. Can't say, I have no DSD content to test this.

Apr 11, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #180 of 1,272
Audio-gd R2R 1 or Chord Qutest? Just ordered, and I’ve heard it’s shipped *Yay!*, NFB-1AMP and now the thoughts of a better dac are setting in. I’ve been more than happy with my Chord Mojo, but with the balanced amp, a balanced resistor ladder sounds like just the ticket. But I love the Chord sound. Any thoughts on Audio-gd vs. Chord qualities for pleasure in listening with my LCD-3s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back