Audio-gd Phoenix balanced headphone amp.
Jul 28, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #3,286 of 3,352
Thanks Amos
redface.gif

The Phoenix will obviously be different in the fact it gives the opportunity for going balanced, but I do remain pretty curious to the difference between C-2.1 en Phoenix SE.
I'll also see what Kingwa himself will have to say about it.

I am positively biased to solid state, and I do like Audio GD's stuff a lot.

Jul 29, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #3,287 of 3,352
I had a chance listening to CharlieX's balanced LCD-2's on my system at a meet last year (which I remember well)...the pairing was excellent ..I liked it better than the HE5-LEs which the Phoenix drove very well to boot. I'm unsure about the HE-6's since they seem to require around 6-10 W RMS to really get going (which translates into a class A speaker amp in the range of 30W RMS into 8 ohm) and that level of clean power is above the max range the Phoenix is capable of  (for loud sessions).

That being said the LCD-2's were very loud at 45 (of 70 scale) on the Phoenix (balanced) to my ears with the HE5-LE's requiring a level of 55 for the same perceived SPL ....most folks listen at much lesser SPLs...YMMV.

In short the Phoenix has loads of power and headroom when driving the LCD-2's. The LCD-2 presentation slays the balanced HD650's in almost every category worth mentioning.

Peete.

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #3,288 of 3,352

Quote:

So for people using the Phoenix with the Audez'es, do you think it's a good pair? (forgive me for not scrolling down all 219 pages
redface.gif
)

You don't have to, The 'search this thread' option will show you every mention of LCD's or whatever in this thread.  The pheonix is also mentioned in the LCD-2 thread so you could do the same there.  But I haven't heard any bad comments about the match.

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #3,289 of 3,352
Alright, I want to report that Phoenix is perfect option for active monitors and subwoofer pair, since both XLR and RCA pre-amp outputs working at the same time. I was able to plug Focal CMS 65 and MJ Acoustics Ref 150 MkII without soldering smart ass cables.

Aug 23, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #3,291 of 3,352
I have had my new Phoenix about 10 days now. After the first few days of seamless operation using just IN1/RCA, I tried a second RCA input using IN4. At first it didn't seem to work at all and then when it did, it was by selecting 5. I got a reply from Kingwa after two emails asking me to send pictures of the back panel and to check the data connection. It was while taking the pictures that I first noticed the "PCA" spelling which was familiar from having read the thread much earlier before purchase and indicating as much when sending the pix. I went back and re-read the thread and now noticed the posts that I must have skimmed past, documenting the IN4/IN5 label switch.  It seemed as if these errors were fixed shortly after initial shipments two years ago. Either this is not the case or I got lucky - or rewarded for having ordered an NFB-8 along with the Phoenix.

Has anyone else received their unit with either or both glitches in the past year?

The A-GD site has "RCA" but old 4/5 switch, yet there was a posted pic from early days with complete corrections.
I don't mind the labeling except for the time-wasting troubleshooting and subsequent concern over possibly deeper QC.  Haven't heard back from Kingwa yet and do not want to resurrect an old contentious topic. If there are leftover first batch back panels that occasionally get re-commissioned, I'd like to think that I'm not the only recipient and of course that it's only the back panel that is getting recycled.

Aug 23, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #3,292 of 3,352
The early ones indeed had inputs 4 and 5 around the wrong way and labels on the back that corrected this. I thought it was fixed a long time ago.  

AFAIK it has always been:

1: RCA (inner)
2: XLR (inner)
3: ACSS
4: XLR (outer)
5: RCA (outer)

Aug 30, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #3,294 of 3,352

Quote:
Anyone notice the link in the Master Series page stating Master-5 (link does not work yet)-- http://www.audio-gd.com/Master/Master-1/Master-1EN.htm

What's this something "better" anounced before i decide to make a purchase? 
beyersmile.png

Basically what i have now with the V200 is it's warm, too warm actually since some voices sound pretty much the same while at the same time the high's sound a bit distorted or crunchy for lack of a better word. I wish they were more smooth.. i'm thinking the Phoenix is the solution and the fact that it's also a very good preamp with a remote(yes NO MORE walking ever cough) seals the deal.

If i understand this correctly; Kingwa said ACSS can both be balanced and unbalanced that makes me think though how much of a difference there is between them, ie bigger then rca to xlr or much closer.

Aug 30, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #3,296 of 3,352
What balanced DAC would you guys recommend for a Phoenix + LCD-2 v2 setup?
I don't really want to go over $1000, so I guess NFB-1 is basically my only choice, but is the Sabre chip a better idea than a DAC with dual Wolfsons with the LCD2?

Aug 30, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #3,298 of 3,352

Just skip the USB and go COAX.
Quote:
Got my Pheonix today along with a Calyx Sabre32 DAC but I can't get the USB driver for the calyx to install so have not even been able to listen to the amp and will not be able to until I receive the Pure i20 that I just ordered, sob, my first ever desktop rig and I can't even use it.

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #3,300 of 3,352

Quote:
This may seem like a strange question, but does anyone have information or a link to what the square wave output from the Phoenix looks like?

This is only from an Oscium iMSO-104 attached to my iPad, which isn't exactly a pro-level oscilloscope, but here is the output of the digitally-generated 1kHz square wave from the Chesky Records Jazz Sampler CD measured from one channel of the balanced outputs.  The output is almost exactly the same as my Stacker II and I haven't measured anything different to compare. The iMSO-104 is 50 Ohms by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back