Audio-gd Phoenix balanced headphone amp.
Dec 16, 2009 at 12:01 PM Post #2,596 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmswjm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe I've damaged my hearing in my old metal band days as a teenager. I usually listen to the denon's in the 15-30 range. When you get above 50 with the HE-5's, the volume curve greatly diminishes. It doesn't appear to be a linear relationship. There isn't a huge difference between 50 and 70.

Holy cow, I would damage my hearing listening with Denons at 30! Unless you're listening to only old, low-volume classical recordings.

Dec 16, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #2,599 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by momomo6789 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why did you put a arrow on the heatshrink O_o. i am going to put some dc cables together tomorrow stock ones are barely long enough to reach.

Originally I had connected the mesh shielding (to pin 4) at the one end (towards the amp section hence the arrow and red ends) to act a drain wire for any RFI/EMI picked up by the shielding but the connector jack throats would not allow that wire to pass (not enough room for the cable diameter ) so I turfed the drain wire idea and cut back the mesh to jack collars strain relief clamps reducing the effective coverage from 97% to around 85-90%. In any event when I rebuild the new cables I'll leave out the arrow since this concept is dead silent as is. The FW designation is something I've been using to describe my workshop (FrankenWORKS) and the various projects and mods I've undertaken in the last 2.5 years.
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Dec 19, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #2,601 of 3,352
Question for the Phoenix owners. Do your source encoder and volume encoder work 1:1? Like one click is one step on the vol control?

Mine is somewhat sporadic, it seems to skip clicks without doing anything, then it seems sometimes two clicks may work in a row. Same thing with the source selector. Reason i'm asking is it seems to be "skipping" more clicks or getting less exact. Hard to come up with the exact workding.

I guess I'll go and set down and start counting steps and clicks.

What is everyone elses experience? I'm wondering if I need to change the encoders.

Dec 20, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #2,602 of 3,352
I know my volume encoder was not 1:1. Sometimes, it would take several clicks of the volume knob before a volume change was indicated by the LED display. (The remote volume control was 1:1 though.) I only had one source, so I didn't change it much. From what I recall, the source encoder was 1:1.

Les, since my Phoenix is with you for other repairs, have you noticed encoder inconsistencies with it too?

Dec 20, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #2,603 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question for the Phoenix owners. Do your source encoder and volume encoder work 1:1? Like one click is one step on the vol control?

Mine is somewhat sporadic, it seems to skip clicks without doing anything, then it seems sometimes two clicks may work in a row. Same thing with the source selector. Reason i'm asking is it seems to be "skipping" more clicks or getting less exact. Hard to come up with the exact workding.

I guess I'll go and set down and start counting steps and clicks.

What is everyone elses experience? I'm wondering if I need to change the encoders.

I have the same problem. Edit: It does this on 70 and 99 steps.

Dec 20, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #2,604 of 3,352
My controls are not 1:1 either - neither of them. They do have some "skips" periodically. This never really bothered me - but it probably shouldn't be that way.

Dec 20, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #2,606 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the same problem. I just realised and checked on mine - it's another case of Kingwa neglecting the last 1% of the design: You're using the 70-step option and it's simply skipping one or two steps (resistors), ie: you have to turn the volume control an equal amount when using 70 steps as 99. Of course if you use the remote, one press is one step regardless.

Hmmm, so you're saying if you shift it to 99 steps it moves 1:1? That's goofy!

Dec 20, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #2,607 of 3,352
That doesn't explain the selector switch also not being 1:1, though.

Dec 20, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #2,610 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Use duct tape to cover the indicator!
wink.gif
I am an stinker I know.

Heh, that solves one problem!

Doesn't solve the problem of turning a volume knob that already has 70 usable steps and now it has like 300 steps because you have to turn it a number of detents for anything to happen.

The reason I bring this up is because it seems to be getting worse. I'll look at it critically today. It just seems like at takes more "clicks" to make the realys work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back