Audio-gd Phoenix balanced headphone amp.
Apr 1, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #46 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did discover that one feature seems to be lacking from the Phoenix, and that's CAST-output. I would figure that could be a useful feature if you would use it as a preamp.

Then, the Phoenix would look more and more like a C3!
happy_face1.gif

Indeed, Kingwa confirmed that the C3 should make a very good HP amp, though he hasn't tried it used in that way. (The C3 should have no problem driving headphones with 50 ohms impedance or higher, like 250 ohms. For lower impedance, like 16 ohms, one should change a module in the C3.)

If in the next few weeks I can modify my DT-880 to have XLR outputs (I have no DIY experience
cool.gif
), then I will use the C3 as a HP amp, and report back!

Apr 1, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #47 of 3,352
doesn't it strike the rest of you as amusing that one of the first things kingwa has revealed about the phoenix is the panel design? maybe he's been following the compass thread closely
tongue_smile.gif

also, think about the date...i suspect kingwa is more humorous than we know ahaha.

Apr 1, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #48 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by senn_liu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
doesn't it strike the rest of you as amusing that one of the first things kingwa has revealed about the phoenix is the panel design? maybe he's been following the compass thread closely
tongue_smile.gif

You can rest assured that Kingwa is following every Audio-gd thread here closely.

Quote:

also, think about the date...i suspect kingwa is more humorous than we know ahaha.

Wouldn't that be a great/terrible joke.
biggrin.gif
But this 'joke' has been going on for some time already on the Audio-gd forum, so in all probability the mythical bird will really rise from its ashes.

Apr 1, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #49 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by 8140david /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then, the Phoenix would look more and more like a C3!
happy_face1.gif

Indeed, Kingwa confirmed that the C3 should make a very good HP amp, though he hasn't tried it used in that way. (The C3 should have no problem driving headphones with 50 ohms impedance or higher, like 250 ohms. For lower impedance, like 16 ohms, one should change a module in the C3.)

If in the next few weeks I can modify my DT-880 to have XLR outputs (I have no DIY experience
cool.gif
), then I will use the C3 as a HP amp, and report back!

How many Watts does the C3 output into what Impedance? A Premap is not the same as an Amp. I have a 2 Watt output Headamp, it can swing large amounts of current. It makes a lot of headphones really sound sweet because of that(amongst other things). The same thing with the B22 amp, Class A, swinging large current(relatively speaking).

A premap and an amp are different animals. I think some amps can make good preamps, but not all preamps make good amps.

Apr 1, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #51 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How many Watts does the C3 output into what Impedance? A Premap is not the same as an Amp. I have a 2 Watt output Headamp, it can swing large amounts of current. It makes a lot of headphones really sound sweet because of that(amongst other things). The same thing with the B22 amp, Class A, swinging large current(relatively speaking).

A premap and an amp are different animals. I think some amps can make good preamps, but not all preamps make good amps.

Indeed, I would have thought so.
But Kingwa does say it should work fine...
Otherwise, Kingwa doesn't communicate really very precise information about the measured abilities of his amps. (Maybe because his products are changing so quickly!) So unless Kingwa can give some input about it, there is no available answer to your question.

Apr 1, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #52 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by 8140david /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed, I would have thought so.
But Kingwa does say it should work fine...
Otherwise, Kingwa doesn't communicate really very precise information about the measured abilities of his amps. (Maybe because his products are changing so quickly!) So unless Kingwa can give some input about it, there is no available answer to your question.

But you WOULD need to answer those questions, if you wanted to use a Preamp as an amp. I think once you get those answers, you'll realize it is a Preamp and not an amp. I'm not saying you can't plug in some headphones and listen to it, I'm just saying an amp is an amp, and a Preamp is a premap.

Apr 1, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #53 of 3,352
Hmm...

$1400 for HD800
$1390 for Reference One
$1000 for Phoenix amp

Total: $3790

I gotta start planting some $$ in my back yard so they can grow in time before the Phoenix and HD800 are released!

Apr 2, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #54 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But you WOULD need to answer those questions, if you wanted to use a Preamp as an amp. I think once you get those answers, you'll realize it is a Preamp and not an amp. I'm not saying you can't plug in some headphones and listen to it, I'm just saying an amp is an amp, and a Preamp is a premap.

"An amp is an amp": thanks for the news!
icon10.gif

A few posts back in this thread, I asked about people's opinion since I was not completely clear about Kingwa's answers.
But as said, he has now confirmed the C3 should drive very well a 250 ohms HP.
So one thing to try is indeed to plug the HP in the C3 and listen!
The simplest and cheapest way would be to start RCA (building a 0.8m long jack-to-2-RCA adaptator, to fit the C3 rear's panel).

Apr 2, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #55 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm...

$1400 for HD800
$1390 for Reference One
$1000 for Phoenix amp

I gotta start planting some $$ in my back yard so they can grow in time before the Phoenix and HD800 are released!

I would advise you to use plenty of fertilizer, because those prices for the Phoenix and the Ref One are both 'promotional' and will probably go up in the near future.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 2, 2009 at 10:24 AM Post #57 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm...

$1400 for HD800
$1390 for Reference One
$1000 for Phoenix amp

Ouch
smily_headphones1.gif
You forgot to factor in the balanced cable for the HD800 and good ICs
smily_headphones1.gif
Plus the transport for the Ref 1
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #58 of 3,352
Quote:

tongue_smile.gif

I certainly see similarities to the ideas from my Compass design (created with the help of many on this forum). I suppose we are seeing a new design philosophy start to creep through Audio-gd?

Apr 3, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #60 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamwhisper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If only it converted SE to balanced like the Headroom Ultra

I don't get what you mean by this. How does an amp "convert SE to balanced"? A connection to an amp or to headphones is either balanced or it isn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back