Audio-gd Phoenix balanced headphone amp.
Apr 1, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #32 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandchak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The C3SE preamp which costs USD1260??..

Precisely!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

(or just buy a C3 second-hand on the Chinese market
wink.gif
)

But by the way, how much will the Phoenix cost?

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #33 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by 8140david /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Precisely!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

wink.gif
)

But by the way, how much will the Phoenix cost?

Around USD1000.. thats what the website says..

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:41 AM Post #34 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by 8140david /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Precisely!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

wink.gif
)

Hmmm, Chinese eBay. Now there's a challenge.
wink.gif

Apr 1, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #35 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm, Chinese eBay. Now there's a challenge.
wink.gif

Indeed!
There's actually a section of Audio-gd's Chinese forums where Chinese customers sell Audio-gd's products second-hand. Still a challenge for many of us, poor speakers of the English language, I agree.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 1, 2009 at 11:49 AM Post #36 of 3,352
I gather the Phoenix will be based on the C3. If you look at the C8 pre-amp, you can see in a rear shot the same rear panel layout as the Phoenix. I think if HD-800s run much better balanced than single-ended, and they stand up well enough against my Stax, I might have to consider a Phoenix myself.

Apr 1, 2009 at 12:29 PM Post #39 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I gather the Phoenix will be based on the C3.

Yes, that's what Kingwa says.

Question: would the C3SE have enough power to drive correctly headphones Beyer DT-880 with 250 ohms?
I am considering changing the cable of the DT-880 to a pair of XLR cables, so that I can plug it on the XLR output of the C3SE.
Should that work well?
Kingwa encourages me to try, but before doing so, I'd like some other input, on whether it's a good idea to so change my DT-880?

Apr 1, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #40 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopstretch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This sounds interesting. Counting on you, Currawong, to take the first one for the HD800 team!
biggrin.gif

Lol! It's lucky my Stax rig is on indefinite loan or there'd be no chance of it happening at all. Though, knowing how things go, I'll probably end up with both Stax and a dynamic rig with the HD-800s by the end of the year.

Apr 1, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #41 of 3,352
Quote:

I gather the Phoenix will be based on the C3. If you look at the C8 pre-amp, you can see in a rear shot the same rear panel layout as the Phoenix.

I did discover that one feature seems to be lacking from the Phoenix, and that's CAST-output. I would figure that could be a useful feature if you would use it as a preamp.

Quote:

Lol! It's lucky my Stax rig is on indefinite loan or there'd be no chance of it happening at all. Though, knowing how things go, I'll probably end up with both Stax and a dynamic rig with the HD-800s by the end of the year.

Wow, I'm seriously thinking about becoming a English teacher in Japan too. Seems like you can make a good living that way.
biggrin.gif

Apr 1, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #42 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did discover that one feature seems to be lacking from the Phoenix, and that's CAST-output. I would figure that could be a useful feature if you would use it as a preamp.

Oh I did not notice that, that would have been very useful feature indeed..
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #43 of 3,352
Looks really promising. It's 60mm longer than the C2C though. Might have trouble fitting that on my desk.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #44 of 3,352
To make this truly overkill, I wonder if Kingwa could add a unity gain/home theatre bypass option for each input. I was considering buying a C3SE as an upgrade from my Emotiva preamp. A Phoenix might make more sense.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #45 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks really promising. It's 60mm longer than the C2C though. Might have trouble fitting that on my desk.
smily_headphones1.gif

"We need a bigger desk!"

I don't think anything from Audio-gd's more high-end equipment was meant to be put on a desk. HiFi quality doesn't come in small (or light) packages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back