Audio-gd Phoenix balanced headphone amp.
Mar 4, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #2,656 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a huge final mod planned for the RE1/Phoenix that I'm currently occupied with (finished planning and ordering for the Phoenix)...think entire recap of the Phoenix (both PSU / amp/preamp chassis) and the RE1. It's a massive job but I'm keen on getting tucked in. Parts should arrive by Friday for the Phoenix PSU/Amp sections. I'll post a pic of the parts in this thread before starting.

The Furtech BNC AG pure silver digital cable is on it's way today....YAY (for Christ's sake after ordering it 2 weeks ago) !

Loads o crap happening at Captain Crazy Cap's byoass o rama and electrolytic emporium
biggrin.gif

Peete.

This is a Cry for Help.

It looks like somebody needs an Intervention!

Mar 4, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #2,657 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a Cry for Help.

It looks like somebody needs an Intervention!

You could shoot me some cash if you want....

Think of it as contributing to my ongoing therapy (the DIY kind )
biggrin.gif

In all seriousness the limiting factors I've identified come down to the NoVer caps after much exhaustive study and research , good as they are they aren't close to top shelf caps and they are part of the formula A-gd uses for keeping the overall cost's down. I want to see what top shelf parts can do and the cost of doing so is still peanuts comparatively speaking.

Peete.

Mar 4, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #2,658 of 3,352
Quote:

You could shoot me some cash if you want....

Think of it as contributing to my ongoing therapy (the DIY kind )
biggrin.gif

In all seriousness the limiting factors I've identified come down to the NoVer caps after much exhaustive study and research , good as they are they aren't close to top shelf caps and they are part of the formula A-gd uses for keeping the overall cost's down. I want to see what top shelf parts can do and the cost of doing so is still peanuts comparatively speaking.

I'm sure your having loads of fun at my expense Les which seems to be a character flaw of yours that rears it's ugly head from time to time but if you have any future commentary along these lines I'd appreciate it if you PM'd me directly rather than showing little tact of similar nature in the future.

Peete.

Man, it was just a Joke.

Sorry I kidded around with you...

Mar 4, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #2,659 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, it was just a Joke.

Sorry I kidded around with you...

Ok Les...cool, my apologies for reading you wrong. But where was the smiley, without it it's really hard to discern intent ? I'm dumb enough that I need a smiley (or big grin)...

Peete.

Mar 4, 2010 at 8:15 AM Post #2,660 of 3,352
Quote:

Ok Les...cool, my apologies for reading you wrong. But where was the smiley, without it it's really hard to discern intent ? I'm dumb enough that I need a smiley (or big grin)...

Peete.

big_grin.gif

Mar 17, 2010 at 5:17 AM Post #2,661 of 3,352
Well boys and girls the last piece of the Phoenix mod puzzle is getting shipped Wed (from PCX) so I should be starting work on the amp and psu sections this coming weekend. I think it'll take around 3 days to complete since the parts total is roughly 85-90 pieces. It's a huge mod but not all that difficult in complexity.

I'll post a pic of the parts being used before I start to give you guys a look at the parts line up
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: Here are the pics of the parts. One set of caps (6 x Mundorf M'Lytic 4700uf 40V) is still in transit but I should have them shortly, hopefully before the coming weekend. I haven't decided as of yet which mains filter caps I will use..... the 6 Mundorf or the 6 Nichicon KG Gold Tunes (6800uf 35V).

I've also decided to split the mod into 2 parts. Part 1 the PSU chassis, Part 2 the amp/preamp/head amp chassis. I figure I should be able to discern any positive changes (if there are any) by evaluating the PSU mods with the current stock/known sound signature of the amp/preamp section. That means postponing part 2 until the PSU has settled in. That just fine since I have the FBI-500 L channel output power module on the way now that it's been built and shipped, so in the meantime, between parts 1 and 2 of the Phoenix MAX SE mod I have some work to do on that beast of an integrated amp
smily_headphones1.gif

This should be a pile of fun.

I want to make clear that the stock amp is a terrific performer and in no way am I saying that all of the mods I'm tackling, necessary for an enjoyable experience. These mods are to explore the absolute outer edge of refinement and performance while working within a reasonable budget.

Peete.

Mar 17, 2010 at 8:58 AM Post #2,662 of 3,352
Quote:

Well boys and girls the last piece of the Phoenix mod puzzle is getting shipped Wed (from PCX) so I should be starting work on the amp and psu sections this coming weekend. I think it'll take around 3 days to complete since the parts total is roughly 85-90 pieces. It's a huge mod but not all that difficult in complexity.

I'll post a pic of the parts being used before I start to give you guys a look at the parts line up
smily_headphones1.gif

This should be a pile of fun.

I want to make clear that the stock amp is a terrific performer and in no way am I saying that all of the mods I'm tackling, necessary for an enjoyable experience. These mods are to explore the absolute outer edge of refinement and performance while working within a reasonable budget.

Peete.

Best of luck, I'll be on the sidelines for now........
popcorn.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #2,663 of 3,352
Just finished Part 1, the PSU overhaul. I have the Phoenix back up and running with no issues (I triple checked all the of the work just to make sure).

Went with the big Nichicon 6800uf 35V KG Gold Tunes...saving the Mundorf Caps for the RE1
biggrin.gif

I have pics but I'll post those later .....

Edit Here are the pics ....

Before

After

Dis (sic) assembly notes: This is one PITA unit to get that pcb out of but it's not nearly as complicated as the head section will be (sigh). Still I like a challenge and such things never deter me from my mad pursuits of greater performance. Anyway what I did was make note of the trafo secondaries and which pads they were assigned to, marked the wiring. To get at that wiring requires you unbolt all the transistors first, unsolder the DC leads from the jacks on the back panel, unbolt the data ports,unbolt the 2 pcb standoffs, then push the pcb forward enough to clear the left hand debug switch, once clear of that flip the board over towards the trafos and unsolder all the secondary leads. You then have the pcb free from the chassis. The rest is pretty easy if you have the right tools. Total time including a few short breaks about 4.5 hours which also included triple checking polarity of the new caps and of course the secondary trafo wiring and the DC jack wiring.

The mod entails pulling all 6 mains filter caps and the 12 smaller caps on the board. The stock filtering capacity is pretty hefty for a preamp/head amp but I feel the unit could use some longer legs or more stamina not to mention better ESR rated caps, whether this mod accomplishes that goal remains to be seen but initial listening tests are positive. Ok stock capacity is 12 x 1500uf, 6 x 3300uf = 37,800uf . The mod consists of 12 x 2200uf, 6 x 6800uf (plus 6 PIO bypass caps for the large KG's) = 67,200 uf. Almost doubling the stock capacity.

PG, all of the mods (not including this one)) I've performed thus far have been very positive for the Phoenix and the RE1/CD7. This latest venture is likely the one that will yield the least in terms of a big jump. This will likely be a small refinement although I could be wrong about that. I need to let these new caps settle in before making any determinations. One thing I have noticed is slight increase in dynamic heft and speed. Some further clarity in the bass region although that could be my imagination. At any rate my Phoenix is easily an order of magnitude above the stock unit (when you add up all the mods thus far, the cables etc). It would be interesting to compare a stock unit with mine side by side in a top flight 2 channel system. Hopefully the head amp mod will lift the performance of that section to that of the preamp section...if it does I'll be one happy camper. The second Part of this mod I'll get cracking on in a couple of weeks...the FBI-500 rebuild and mod (going to give it preamp outs and a ACSS pass through among other things) is on deck now (should have the L channel output stage next week).

Peete.

Mar 20, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #2,664 of 3,352
Keep 'em coming Peete!
popcorn.gif

I'd like to know how your mods sound like. Any serious gains in terms of SQ?

Mar 21, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #2,666 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by FauDrei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...and I thought my DIY ventures will end with A-GD's gear...
rolleyes.gif

Would Panasonic FM's be any good in PSU section?

Probably be alright to use but I can't say how'd they stack up against the NoVers or the KG's. I know the FM's are a well respected PSU cap and I have used them before but for the Phoenix I felt average (FM are average) wasn't nearly good enough. Great mains filter caps cost (sometimes) a lot of dough and most of the time a pretty fair chunk of change...unfortunately there is no getting around that. That being said KG Gold Tunes are nowhere the crazy money that some manufacturers are asking for something comparable. The Type II KG's is what I settled...the super throughs are just way too much money (for me at least).

I hear you about DIY ventures....do they ever really end ? That wouldn't be much fun, however....I think I've found the key to the lighter bass and dynamic drive the stock Phoenix is knocked for vs the B22. This PSU mod brings out the beast in this amp. I spent most of last evening wiping my jaw and drool from the carpet after listening (on the main system) to every current CD I have in my collection that has incredible bass and extremely complex dynamics ....the difference in quantity and stamina...this unit simply does not run out of steam nor does it have any overhang, bloat, smearing etc...the bottom end extension/power and control as well as it's all important transient speed had me jumping from my chair (a little one mind you, I ain't no spring chicken anymore)...had me scared a couple of times even though I knew it was coming, which is always a good sign.

Anyway I'm not sure how much of this has to do with more filtering capacity vs quality/spec of cap...my guess is a little of both. I would urge Kingwa to bump the uf capacity (on a tester unit in house with his ref system) to what I am using and see if his results are similar to mine.

Peete.

Mar 25, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #2,667 of 3,352
I've been thinking about getting a power conditioner that has reserve current for speaker setup, is the phoenix dependent on power draw like a power amp and might benefit from this kind of power conditioner? I couldn't really tell if my basic $200 power conditioner without capacitor bank improved/degraded the phoenix, but if it does eat power like a power amp maybe I'll use the power conditioner for my headphone setup too.

Mar 25, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #2,668 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been thinking about getting a power conditioner that has reserve current for speaker setup, is the phoenix dependent on power draw like a power amp and might benefit from this kind of power conditioner? I couldn't really tell if my basic $200 power conditioner without capacitor bank improved/degraded the phoenix, but if it does eat power like a power amp maybe I'll use the power conditioner for my headphone setup too.

Hard to say without actually giving it a try. I know that doesn't help you out much. I found the difference between plugging the Phoenix into a LC and directly in the wall socket minimal (to my ears). My AC lines in the house are pretty clean anyway so YMMV.

Peete.

Mar 26, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #2,670 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouKnowJim? /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking of picking one of these up to move my work rig to balanced as well
floatsmile.png

That will make a really nice work rig, you lucky boy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back