Audio-gd Phoenix balanced headphone amp.
Sep 18, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #2,341 of 3,352
I didn't buy the Phoenix based on PJ's recommendation. I based it on the fact that lots of people liked it and that it is a great value as well as a technological achievement. Not too many really nice solid state balanced amps for $1200, and I've had my eye on audio-gd for a while. The Phoenix is just too cool to pass up, and I'm very happy with it even if other people didn't like it (but they do).

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #2,342 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<<SNIP>>

We can probably make a guess at -=that=-.

Well that could get interesting. Can't wait for that thread...

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #2,343 of 3,352
Have the children gone to bed yet ?
biggrin.gif

(joking of course)

Peete.

Sep 18, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #2,344 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Read through this and other threads and one thing becomes clear about what Ipod likes, and that is that he doesn't know what it is that he likes. He's been back and forth so many times that it'd make anyone dizzy trying to keep track what it is that he likes.

He'll love his "Special" new amp, that is until something else piques his interest; it's very ADD like.

Sorry I know that's kind of harsh, but there are people out there who pay attention to what he says and his opinions vacillate so frequently that I for one discount almost every word he says.

At the end, here is forum for discusstion rite? I dont think 1 person comment or sharing will prompt decision of people buying or create unnecessary hype. There are many other brothers sharing as well either is supporting the statement or not. So we be the own judge of our buying interest. Not like he put us into a room of sales, and under preassure to force sales within an hour like those stupid marketing arrangement. We should continue focus on Phoenix impression.
smily_headphones1.gif

By the way, I would love to hear more other headphone balance in phoenix.. not always 800 800 800 800 800 800 800 800 800 800 800...gosh

Denon D5K balanced also sounds great, man! Skylab also comments on Phoenix is for Beyer family! More input on "other than 800" please. lol

Sep 18, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #2,345 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by ztsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont think 1 person comment or sharing will prompt decision of people buying or create unnecessary hype.

Skylab also comments on Phoenix is for Beyer family!

tongue.gif

Sep 18, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #2,346 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How many of you have more than one amp? I'm not allowed to like two amps?
rolleyes.gif

"You're new here, aren't you?" The guys beating up on you, for the most part have been around here years and gone through incredible amounts of equipment, meets and DIY.

Anyway, back on topic....

I borrowed a Luxman P-1, as it was on my short-list as an amp before the Aussie dollar bombed, and, as a very long-time Luxman fan, I've long been keen to spend some hours with one. Using balanced input via XLR from the Ref 1 and SE output to my HD-800s, there's not a lot between the amps, with the Luxman having slightly better bass (possibly just the result of their being slightly more of it) and the Phoenix having a slightly more refined and detailed treble. There's little in it between them though. As the improvement going to balanced with the HD-800s is almost TOO good in a way (pop and rock is a bit too distant-sounding) I've been spending quite a bit of time just using the Luxman the last couple of days. If anything, this makes the Phoenix a bargain, only beaten by the Luxman second-hand locally in Japan in that regard.

Sep 18, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #2,348 of 3,352
Quote:

By the way, I would love to hear more other headphone balance in phoenix.. not always 800 800 800 800 800 800 800 800 800 800 800...gosh

Denon D5K balanced also sounds great, man! Skylab also comments on Phoenix is for Beyer family! More input on "other than 800" please. lol

I listened to the HD800's w/stock SE vs. the Markl MD5000 SE on the Phoenix. Though I know the 800's were technically the better phone, I prefered the Denons because of difference in impact. I sent the 800's back and got the D7000. This phone completely blew the 5000's out the window. Now the 7000's are recabled with a gold alloy terminated with the balanced 4 pin XLR. I've got the JMoney pads too. I truly have been satisfied with this phone. This is the longest I've gone without the urge to tweak / switch headphones.

Sep 18, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #2,349 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmswjm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listened to the HD800's w/stock SE vs. the Markl MD5000 SE on the Phoenix. Though I know the 800's were technically the better phone, I prefered the Denons because of difference in impact. I sent the 800's back and got the D7000. This phone completely blew the 5000's out the window. Now the 7000's are recabled with a gold alloy terminated with the balanced 4 pin XLR. I've got the JMoney pads too. I truly have been satisfied with this phone. This is the longest I've gone without the urge to tweak / switch headphones.

Agreed!
I have the 7000's as well, for the above reasons...the HD 800's did not give the dynamics that I hoped for with the Phoenix.The JMoney pads are mandatory, IMHO. Balancing the Denons are next on my list. Which brand XLR's did you use, and did you do the re-term your self?
If so, by chance, did you snap any pics?

Sep 18, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #2,350 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundlogic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed!
I have the 7000's as well, for the above reasons...the HD 800's did not give the dynamics that I hoped for with the Phoenix.The JMoney pads are mandatory, IMHO. Balancing the Denons are next on my list. Which brand XLR's did you use, and did you do the re-term your self?
If so, by chance, did you snap any pics?

Hey,
Here's a Link to the HOW TO I did on the GS1000 to dual 3 PIN XLR. Since then, I've become a 4 pin convert and will "eventually" reterm those to a 4 PIN. In the meantime, I need to do my HF-2s as a 4-PIN . I may do that Today, If I do, I PIC it and Post it. However, this link should help you a lot. You just take the 2 pins from each 3 Pin and move them into a 4 PIN. Think I have an interesting project today.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/bal...gs1000-431493/

Sep 18, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #2,351 of 3,352
Quote:

I can add some of my experience with Sennheiser HD600 (SE, Cardas cable) and AKG K701 (SE, stock cable) with Phoenix. It was really nice summer with them, both are very good match for the Phoenix, I have found some new qualities in both with the Phoenix, really nice sound. But finally, HD800 is HD800
smile_phones.gif

Sep 18, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #2,352 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey,
Here's a Link to the HOW TO I did on the GS1000 to dual 3 PIN XLR. Since then, I've become a 4 pin convert and will "eventually" reterm those to a 4 PIN. In the meantime, I need to do my HF-2s as a 4-PIN . I may do that Today, If I do, I PIC it and Post it. However, this link should help you a lot. You just take the 2 pins from each 3 Pin and move them into a 4 PIN. Think I have an interesting project today.

Thanks Les.
As always, no *****-foot'n around when you do things.
As we say at the Firehouse: Go Hard...Or Go Home!

Sep 18, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #2,353 of 3,352
The Denon's have 4 wires- the two black ground wires have to be matched up to the R and L wires, so it's pretty simple (coming from someone who has never done something like this before). The black for each is sort of paired with the red or white wire, which you can see, but you should double check with a multimeter. Unlike the Grados, the red is right and the white is left.

Sep 18, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #2,354 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"You're new here, aren't you?" The guys beating up on you, for the most part have been around here years and gone through incredible amounts of equipment, meets and DIY.

Anyway, back on topic....

I borrowed a Luxman P-1, as it was on my short-list as an amp before the Aussie dollar bombed, and, as a very long-time Luxman fan, I've long been keen to spend some hours with one. Using balanced input via XLR from the Ref 1 and SE output to my HD-800s, there's not a lot between the amps, with the Luxman having slightly better bass (possibly just the result of their being slightly more of it) and the Phoenix having a slightly more refined and detailed treble. There's little in it between them though. As the improvement going to balanced with the HD-800s is almost TOO good in a way (pop and rock is a bit too distant-sounding) I've been spending quite a bit of time just using the Luxman the last couple of days. If anything, this makes the Phoenix a bargain, only beaten by the Luxman second-hand locally in Japan in that regard.

I have a very short audition when I visit tokyo for DX1000 and Luxman is the amp setup but I didn't pay attendtion which model. From what I've recalled, it sounded very warm and smooth. Is this the Luxman signature or due to the DX1000?

Sep 18, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #2,355 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey,

Agreed ...the 4 pin is the way to go IMO as well.

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back