Audio-gd NFB-28
Apr 3, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #1,051 of 2,104
I'd also consider noise as the culprit, try moving the cable far away from noise sources and see if that helps.

Apr 3, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #1,052 of 2,104
I just ordered a Wyrd as I want to eliminate that problem with my other dac and may use it for my NFB-28 as well.

Apr 3, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #1,053 of 2,104
Maybe try a Schiit wyrd usb decrapifier.

I use a Pangea usb cable at 1.5meters. But don't need anything longer.... Yet. But I would like to move my amp so am looking to get a new Pangea AG usb cable about 10-15ft. Good to know.

I plan on getting a schiit wyrd anyhow. I get the occasional drop out with some of my Dac's I use and with various cables I've tried. I would think my 500 dollar Asus x79 black series rampage IV motherboard would have good USB ports. Meh. I also will be trying a "magic" cable from Lhlabs. They claim to have good USB cables. I'll have a micro USB 1G light speed for the xdf256 I ordered as well as a a to b type 1G cable to try with my NFB-28... But so far the Pangea USB cable is pretty darn good! I just wish I ordered a longer one now.
I'm not sure why you are having problems with your NFB and not other dacs. Maybe it's less tolerable of errors. So having something like the Wyrd would likely be a way to eliminate that possibility.

Thanks for the tip bimmer100! I had read about the Wyrd at one point but had forgotten. I just ordered one! I'll let you know how it works.  Yes, I would guess that the Audio-GD DACs, or at least the models using the ES9018 in a similar configuration, are very sensitive to errors. 

Apr 4, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #1,054 of 2,104
Someone might have to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Schiit Wyrd would really effect the USB input on the NFB-28, since the NFB-28 should use only use the data signals from USB (not the power which the Wyrd helps).

Apr 5, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #1,055 of 2,104
Someone might have to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Schiit Wyrd would really effect the USB input on the NFB-28, since the NFB-28 should use only use the data signals from USB (not the power which the Wyrd helps).

I'm not 100% sure but I understand that the Wyrd filters the power and in return that helps prevent data errors. So, it should help prevent dropouts that are usually caused from dirty power causing data errors. Anybody else care to comment?

Apr 5, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #1,056 of 2,104
It reclocks/repeats as well, giving a cleaner signal from my understanding.

Apr 5, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #1,057 of 2,104
I'm not 100% sure but I understand that the Wyrd filters the power and in return that helps prevent data errors. So, it should help prevent dropouts that are usually caused from dirty power causing data errors. Anybody else care to comment?

You're 100% correct. It does use voltage to handshake I believe, and that can screw with the system. I have to use certain USB ports on my computer, or I have issues relating to the voltage that a Wyrd would fix. However, the NFB-28 has its own power supply that's linear, so no need for an LPS or anything of that nature. Just a usb device that can clean signal up from usb related power issues.

Apr 7, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #1,058 of 2,104
Is anyone aware if the NFB-29 can be custom ordered with a second USB port instead of the RJ45/I2S/HDMI port? It's not listed on their website, but this would essentially make the unit the perfect desktop amp for me... Well a coax/opt out would be nice too, I suppose :)

Thanks!

Apr 7, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #1,059 of 2,104
  Is anyone aware if the NFB-29 can be custom ordered with a second USB port instead of the RJ45/I2S/HDMI port? It's not listed on their website, but this would essentially make the unit the perfect desktop amp for me... Well a coax/opt out would be nice too, I suppose :)

Thanks!

Just email Kingwa and ask.  They're pretty responsive, assuming you account for the time difference in China.

Apr 7, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #1,060 of 2,104

Thanks!

I think it would really depend on how you use the second USB port. If you just want to have say a laptop and desktop connected at the same time he might be able to add in another port and just hardwire them together. But if you wanted to have 2 USB inputs, I would imagine he would need to add another USB board.

Just email Kingwa and ask.  They're pretty responsive, assuming you account for the time difference in China.

Kingwa is always very responsive.

Is the NFB-29 now in here too? I was just thinking we should start an all inclusive Audio-GD thread, since he has so many products. 

Apr 8, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #1,061 of 2,104
Got my new nfb-28 last week to power my recently aquired he-500's and just WOW. so good. works perfectly with newest drivers, have had zero probems.

I havent tried with my V4A modded phone yet ( I hear it wont work) but i have ordered a monoprice cable so check back in a few days if your interested about that.

I might regret not going with the 10.33 and saving some money. anybody have an opinion?

Anyone try to drive an HE-6 with one of these? i read somewhere its not quite enough even though its rated output should be plenty

Apr 8, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #1,062 of 2,104
Got my new nfb-28 last week to power my recently aquired he-500's and just WOW. so good. works perfectly with newest drivers, have had zero probems.

I havent tried with my V4A modded phone yet ( I hear it wont work) but i have ordered a monoprice cable so check back in a few days if your interested about that.

I might regret not going with the 10.33 and saving some money. anybody have an opinion?

Anyone try to drive an HE-6 with one of these? i read somewhere its not quite enough even though its rated output should be plenty

The 10.33 uses a different DAC chip, so it'll sound different.  I wouldn't make the decision between the two purely on cost; I'd ask myself if I want the warmer Wolfson sound or the brighter Sabre sound.  Personally, I really like the Sabre sound with the HE-560, especially when it's implemented as smoothly as it is in the NFB-28.

Apr 8, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #1,063 of 2,104
Got my new nfb-28 last week to power my recently aquired he-500's and just WOW. so good. works perfectly with newest drivers, have had zero probems
Running SE or balance?
And would you tell some more details about sound in this nfb28+he500s combo. Cuz i'm allready have 500s cans and in one step from buying 28

Apr 8, 2015 at 4:22 AM Post #1,064 of 2,104

I had a NFB-10 with a pair of HE-6 awhile back, and for the most part it barely had enough power. If the recording had a large dynamic range and was well mastered, usually it wasn't enough power. If you're looking for an amplifier specifically for the HE-6, you really have to get into a different realm of amplifiers. 

Apr 8, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #1,065 of 2,104
Kingwa now makes the NFB-28 with more gain for the HE-6 upon request. If you're willing to pay shipping, I'm sure he could modify yours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back