Audio-gd NFB-28
Apr 8, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #1,066 of 2,104
Congrats on getting the NFB-28! It's well worth the difference in price imho. Enough power to drive aomost any headphone, but the gain should be modified for the he-6's. Since I don't own them and don't plan on it... No worries imho. My he-560's I prefer anyways.
Considering the price, I think it's a bargain compared to other gear in its class. Although I've yet to hear setups like a schiit stack of the Yggdrasil and ragnarok. But over 3grand is out of my budget. And how much better can it actually sound? Bang for buck, that's what the NFB-28 is.

Apr 8, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #1,067 of 2,104
Thanks for the responses! I sent an email off and we'll see what happens.

Is the NFB-29 now in here too? I was just thinking we should start an all inclusive Audio-GD thread, since he has so many products. 
Yah the dialogue in this thread seemed a lot more knowledgable than the other threads I popped in to :wink:

Apr 8, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #1,068 of 2,104
Congrats on getting the NFB-28! It's well worth the difference in price imho. Enough power to drive aomost any headphone, but the gain should be modified for the he-6's. Since I don't own them and don't plan on it... No worries imho. My he-560's I prefer anyways.
Considering the price, I think it's a bargain compared to other gear in its class. Although I've yet to hear setups like a schiit stack of the Yggdrasil and ragnarok. But over 3grand is out of my budget. And how much better can it actually sound? Bang for buck, that's what the NFB-28 is.

The Yggy/Rag sounds really effing good, as does the Vega/LAu, etc.  But those are in another price class completely.  As you said, in the price class, I think the NFB-28 is unbeatable (as it is with every A-GD I've owned).

Apr 8, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #1,070 of 2,104
  Stillhart, Hi. I was tryin to catch you at Ether's tread. But here it will be even better. Here is the question: Did you have an opportunity to try Mr. Speaker's new phones on your nfb28 during CanJam?

No, unfortunately I did not.  I would love to, because they're so... transparent.  They sounded different on every setup so I was really curious how they'd sound on the 28.  But I assume they'll sound pretty good since it has no issues with my HE-560.

Apr 9, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #1,071 of 2,104
Running SE or balance?
And would you tell some more details about sound in this nfb28+he500s combo. Cuz i'm allready have 500s cans and in one step from buying 28

Started running stock SE for the first 3 days before my 66$ lunashop balanced cable came. Balance gave that last little bit of chrispness i was hopping for. This was my first time hearing a balance setup, about the improvement i expected but i was sort of wishing to plug in the new cable, go form 2 to 4 chanels in use, and get some plato leaving the cave type of change.

I ive been trying to start a real review but i just gathered up the initiative to stop lurking. I probably wont get around to it until ive sampled a system or 2 that can compare.

Ive had a portable JDS Labs C5D => Dunu dn-2000 portable rig (2 by 1 hybrid that sounds 'like headphones') for about 18 months and i can say the He-500/ NFB-28 is better in almost every possible way. Very noticably better Tone, smoothness, and dynamics; everything sounds very alive and musical. Imaging and frequency range are just as good if not better on the desktop pair. One thing that might be lacking is transparancy, with the dn-2000 the mids ride over the base hits with this almost unnatural cleanness.

All in all i couldnt like my hifi buys more. I believe every time you double how much you spend you can get maybe a 5% 'improvement' in SQ if you spend your money well. By that standard I think the NFB-28 is a total steal and truely my endgame system. I work in a factory setting and i think to hear anything better id need to invest in replacement bionic ears first.

If i ever have really have the urge to get something new i might look at something by audeze as im a sucker for a warm thick mid range. but that wont be for a year or 3 and im pretty sure ill be happy using the 28 for any headphone I might hope to get.

EDIT: Only other amp i tried with the he-500 was an Onkyo hometheater receiver getting music from my portable amp/dac via RCA. This setup had plenty of power but no finesse, I heard my 500's for the first time the day the NFB-28 arrived:)

Apr 9, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #1,072 of 2,104
MadSounds
Thank you. Such words as "smooth, warm, musical" that's what i wanted to hear :)

No, unfortunately I did not.  

:frowning2:
Ether is on my radar since i read trough it's impressions tread. And if this buy will be made some day, at the first time i plan to use them with 28. Just wondering, can it be an end game setup. Hm... or my he500s already are end game :cool:

Apr 14, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #1,073 of 2,104
Hello, I would like to ask if anybody here has experience comparing the NFB 27/28 or 29 with the NFB 11? According to what I've read, these use the same DAC chip and have a similar looking schematic, yet the NFB 11 seems to be just a smaller version of the above and with fewer connection options.

So am I correct in assuming that the NFB 11 has the same sound signature attributes as the 27/28/29 (at least from the DAC only portion)? And if not, what exactly are the differences? For me, so far anyway, it seems the 11 would work better because it's easier to transport and I would only need the USB-input anyway.
Thanks sincerely!

Apr 14, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #1,074 of 2,104
Hi there, 

anyone using some Beyers T90s with an Audio-GD NFB28/29?

Could any one talk about their synergy or how they match together? I'm a bit concerned that the trebles might appear too present when both paired together...

Thx in advance!! 

Apr 14, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #1,077 of 2,104
11 is the 15v single ended version with SMD parts and a pot
29 is the 30v single ended version with through hole parts and relay stepped attenuator
28 is the 15v balanced version with through hole parts and relay stepped attenuator

Apr 14, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #1,078 of 2,104
Just my two pences,

If you want to go balanced (cable changes, etc) then pick the 28 up. If you don't want to hassle with cable modifications and prefer to remain SE, then choose the 29...

About the nfb11 I don't have any experience,

Apr 14, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #1,079 of 2,104
I'm not really a believer in balanced plugs, and the NFB 29 is cheaper also, & perhaps newer.

But I'm still considering getting a NFB 11 because its more portable and is $300 cheaper. But I've heard even from the owner that this one is still one step below the GD Compass in terms of sound quality... thinking that just maybe the new 2015 version of the 11 will have better hardware. But I may be just primarily using this unit as a DAC for a tube amp. So do you really think the $300 price difference is justified here?

Apr 14, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #1,080 of 2,104
I'm not really a believer in balanced plugs, and the NFB 29 is cheaper also, & perhaps newer.

But I'm still considering getting a NFB 11 because its more portable and is $300 cheaper. But I've heard even from the owner that this one is still one step below the GD Compass in terms of sound quality... thinking that just maybe the new 2015 version of the 11 will have better hardware. But I may be just primarily using this unit as a DAC for a tube amp. So do you really think the $300 price difference is justified here?

The 29 may be a bit better (I'm not sure, I haven't heard the 11) just from better parts/design/whatever, but you're also getting a really robust amp with the 29, which adds a lot to the cost.  If you're not going to take advantage of the amp, just get the 11.

Re the different versions over the years, personally, I think the differences are overblown.  If it was a huge difference, it'd have a different name (like the move from the 12 to the 15).  All versions of the 11 will sound very very similar.

EDIT - Oh and the best way to believe in balanced plugs is to hear for yourself.  The difference on my NFB-28 is obvious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back