Audio-gd NFB-28
Mar 28, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #1,022 of 2,104
Must be an error in the instruction manual because it refers to there being a choice for as D for dac and P for pre.  Either way, when NOT on H for headphone, you can set the output to fixed 2.5V by pressing gain until you see an F.  New firmware only.

Mar 30, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #1,025 of 2,104
It's weird, that still there is no full review on nfb28. Everybody just saying how it's good, it's great, amazing for the price... But i want to see some more interesting details and comparition. Can i?

Mar 30, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #1,026 of 2,104
It's weird, that still there is no full review on nfb28. Everybody just saying how it's good, it's great, amazing for the price... But i want to see some more interesting details and comparition. Can i?

I was just thinking the same thing. I wish some head-fi'er would do a proper review on this amp. It surely deserves one! I won't be surprised if it ends up being an epic review and considered an excellent value to performance ratio. I would expect nothing less.
The volume knob on this thing is too cool, the clicking relays are just like the ragnarok yet not quite as loud and more steps! 100 or 63 steps I believe if you have the 2015 model. The volume curve is much much more gradual with the new model. I suppose this would be best for Iem's. Will test Fidue A83's and maybe even some el cheapo Xiaomi piston 2's just because. I've yet to try IEM's, I'm sure they will sound great and the noise floor will be incredibly low. I will likely do so this weekend. I Plan to do a mini review with this amp/Dac, he-560, norne audio's newest cableAlso... pangea audio USB and SE power cables... Maybe a few other goodies too.

Mar 30, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #1,027 of 2,104

i did find one review... :D haha

http://www.auriculares-hifi.com/foro/index.php?topic=822.0

translate to english with chrome. But anyhow. Yet another great review. surprise surprise. but this is also the 2014 model.
It would be great to hear Jude do a review of this amp. I think i've seen him with an Audio-GD amp in one of his videos...but never have I seen anyone review these amps for the most part.

Mar 30, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #1,028 of 2,104
There are a few problems with doing a full review:  first, it's an all-in-one so you'd have to bifurcate the review into DAC and Amp sections.  Second, I know that I personally don't have a lot of experience with any equivalent DAC's and amps.  I moved up to the NFB-28 and comparing it to anything I was using before is just not fair.

I heard some amazing stuff at Canjam and if I could get them all in one room to do a comparison I would.  Some other combo DAC/Amps worth considering:  the new ALO Continental dual mono is amazing.  The Aurender Flow has a great Sabre implementation and sounds great.  The prototype WA8 is no joke either.  The Cavalli Liquid Carbon was really impressive (tho it's just an amp so maybe doesn't belong here). The Oppo HA-1, obviously.

That's over $6k worth of gear right there, not counting the NFB-28.  I don't have that kind of money, unfortunately.  :frowning2:

Note:  all of those (except the LC) cost more than the NFB-28, some by a good amount.

Mar 30, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #1,029 of 2,104
in my view nfb 28 DAC section should be compared to Matrix X sabre (close at the prise, positive reviewed sabre dac, neutral sound with bit of warmth). Amp section- to violectric v181 (same reason). And then nfb 28 as combine against Matrix X sabre+violectric v181 (the most interesting part. If audio gd's device could beat, or at least sounds similar/close to 2000$ tandem, then we have an epic device less than 1k of green)

Mar 30, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #1,030 of 2,104
I think it can be compared to other gear if components are either isolated or together compared to amp/dac combos in its price range--i.e. Schiit Bifrost Uber paired with Asgard 2.

Of course, the problem with this is that Bifrost is not Sabre, so to be even more fair perhaps Sabre gear should be more helpful to compare against.

I am really interested in how the NFB-28 as a unit compares to Oppo HA-1, whose price is shaped by extra features I do not need.

I also would like to see a comparison of the amp section with the Gustard H10 and the DAC with the Gustard X12.

I am guessing that the NFB-28 can hold its own against the HA-1 if not surpass it.

Mar 30, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #1,031 of 2,104
in my view nfb 28 DAC section should be compared to Matrix X sabre (close at the prise, positive reviewed sabre dac, neutral sound with bit of warmth). Amp section- to violectric v181 (same reason). And then nfb 28 as combine against Matrix X sabre+violectric v181 (the most interesting part. If audio gd's device could beat, or at least sounds similar/close to 2000$ tandem, then we have an epic device less than 1k of green)

I am really interested in how the X-Sabre compared to any A-GD Sabre DACs. X- Sabre is supposed to be fairly laid back for a Sabre, but I always hear how A-GD is so smooth.

Mar 30, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #1,032 of 2,104
I think it can be compared to other gear if components are either isolated or together compared to amp/dac combos in its price range--i.e. Schiit Bifrost Uber paired with Asgard 2.

Of course, the problem with this is that Bifrost is not Sabre, so to be even more fair perhaps Sabre gear should be more helpful to compare against.

I am really interested in how the NFB-28 as a unit compares to Oppo HA-1, whose price is shaped by extra features I do not need.

I also would like to see a comparison of the amp section with the Gustard H10 and the DAC with the Gustard X12.

I am guessing that the NFB-28 can hold its own against the HA-1 if not surpass it.

Unfortunately, I did not spend any time with the HA-1 when I was at CanJam.  All my time at Oppo was spend with the PM-3 and HA-2.  

But here's some food for thought:  I brought my NFB-28 and HE-560 with me and kept them in my hotel room.  After a long day of listening to all sorts of gear, including things like the Ragnarok/Yggdrassil and Hugo and Cavalli, etc... I'd go back to my room and listen to my setup and smile.  Would I love to have a Rag/Yggy/Ether combo?  Sure.  But my $1500 combo sounds good enough that the $5300 combo doesn't really tempt me.  

I think the NFB-28 is a budget king (compared to equivalent gear).  Kingwa has achieved something really special with this unit.  

Mar 30, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #1,034 of 2,104
  You have the old one though, yes?

I have the 2014 model, yes.  There aren't any significant differences between the two, just some minor feature tweaks.

Mar 30, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #1,035 of 2,104
Unfortunately, I did not spend any time with the HA-1 when I was at CanJam.  All my time at Oppo was spend with the PM-3 and HA-2.  

But here's some food for thought:  I brought my NFB-28 and HE-560 with me and kept them in my hotel room.  After a long day of listening to all sorts of gear, including things like the Ragnarok/Yggdrassil and Hugo and Cavalli, etc... I'd go back to my room and listen to my setup and smile.  Would I love to have a Rag/Yggy/Ether combo?  Sure.  But my $1500 combo sounds good enough that the $5300 combo doesn't really tempt me.  

I think the NFB-28 is a budget king (compared to equivalent gear).  Kingwa has achieved something really special with this unit.  

Thats great to hear. I do not doubt it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back